Crash studies in CPS Express

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Anyone see this yet in the new CPS Express?

Virginia Child Restraint Crash Investigation Studies

Virginia's multi-disciplinary crash investigation team released several in-depth reports that discuss the importance of correctly restraining children in safety seats. Specific reports, such as "Special Report Number 20: Child Safety Restraint Study" and "Report Number 203: Two Single Vehicle Crashes—Multiple Fatalities" talk about eight crashes in which 10 children were killed. In two of the deaths, the chest straps of the safety seats became entangled around the children's necks because they were not properly secured in their restraints. In another crash involving a booster seat, the vehicle’s shoulder strap was not used correctly and the child received fatal head, back and torso injuries. This crash is in "Report 198: Aggressive Drivers in Merging Lanes—Triple Fatality."​

Last edited:
ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Oh geez. I just finished reading the first two research articles. Very detailed crash info with pictures. The CRS misuse/nonuse resulting in fatalities is mindboggling:

- 22-month-old in backless booster with lap/shoulder belt routed under lapbelt guide
- 8-month-old in infant carrier that was FF (survived even though seat dumped into floor)
- 35-month-old in no restraint at all
- 2 fatalities b/c of tray shields (children ejected and necks entangled in shoulder straps)

I had to stop. I'll finish the rest later... Really reinforces how many folks *just don't know* the importance of correctly restraining their children. However, in many of these cases, the parents thought their children were correctly restrained. :(

Last edited:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I am half way through the first. Very interesting! I think I will make up displays for a few of the cases to show the misuse and the consequences for my next breakfast at Baby Depot.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I have it in my email. I am going to read it later or tomorrow. Dh races today, so i have been getting stuff ready to go there.

Airforcemomma

Some of the stories are absolutely heart wrenching. That poor child who's body was severed. It is so sad that these things are happening. There needs to be way to get through to parents and teach them how important properly restraining their children is. I can't finish reading it, I will have to get back to it later after the kiddo's are in bed tonight.

So so sad.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I was reading them and was doing fine, until halfway through the first one (which I read after the second one). I didn't realize how much it was affecting me until I suddenly burst into tears. I had to close it but did go back and finish reading. Just awful... :(

keri1292

I signed up for the newsletter when I registered for my class, but haven't received this yet.

In the first case, they're talking about the lack of a chest clip on the over head sheild seat. Do they have one? I've never really played with one before. :confused:

Edit: OK, I see that they do. However, is a chest clip going to make a difference in a crash, IF the harness is tightened properly. I wouldn't think so.

Last edited:

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I signed up for the newsletter when I registered for my class, but haven't received this yet.

In the first case, they're talking about the lack of a chest clip on the over head sheild seat. Do they have one? I've never really played with one before. :confused:

Yep. Here's the seat we got for DS when he turned 11 months old... :( Doesn't it have a pretty plaid cover? :rolleyes:

Evenflo_Tribute_OH.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC