CPST's (or car seat knowledgable) w/out children

Jennifer mom to my 7

I'm not sure if this would go here or not, sorry.

I'm just wondering, how many of you are CPST's (or just "car seat enthusiasts", as my DH calls it) without children? I currently have no kids of my own (we're TTC), but I've spend a lot of time lurking around here and researching car seat safety.

Earlier I got trashed by a few mama's on another website, because apparently since I don't have kids, I "know nothing about car seats". I guess I just want to know, am I in the minority here? Or is it not that unusual?

I'm not a CPST currently, but I do plan on taking the course just as soon as there's one nearby :)

Hey, I have 7 kids, and my family thinks I am nuts anyway, and won't really listen (hope they have opened their ears now, though). Except my mom:love: She has heard about things, and has listened to me long enough, that she spreads the word, too, especially about expired seats (and younger moms think she is nuts:rolleyes:)

ADS

a_js

I do have kids now, but I educated myself prior to my own kids because I was babysitting my niece and transporting her. I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing because I wanted her to be safe.

BeckC

I have no kids and I'm a CPST. I have been trying to conceive/adopt for 5 years though so I've been in the "mom world" and researching and learning for a while.

jenfrogmom

I feel so at home here... I remember thinking car seats were cool even when I was a teen, long before kids. I want to be a tech someday.

msg221

Earlier I got trashed by a few mama's on another website, because apparently since I don't have kids, I "know nothing about car seats". I guess I just want to know, am I in the minority here? Or is it not that unusual?

I'm not a CPST currently, but I do plan on taking the course just as soon as there's one nearby :)

How ridiculous for them to "trash" you and saying you know nothing about car seats just because you don't have kids of your own. What if the engineer who designed the seat that their child is riding in doesn't have kids of his or her own? What would they say to that?

I don't have any kids of my own but I do have two grown stepdaughters. My oldest stepdaughter has 9 month old twins, a boy and girl. My younger stepdaughter has a 20 month old son and is expecting another boy next month. Then there are my twin godchildren who will be 2 in May.

I guess I have been into baby gear long before them. I was 16 when my nephew was born (he is 27 now!) and I can still remember the car seat we had for him (the ancient kind with the overhead shield you pulled down in front of the child!) and how serious I was about knowing how to install it properly. I think I still have a photo of it somewhere! Anyway, when my friend was pregnant with her twins, I researched car seat information to death to help her choose her seats and did the same when I knew I was going to need seats in my car for them since I was caring for them on weekends. I am glad I did because now I have seats that will work for my stepdaughters' kids as well.

I wanted to be sure that all of those precious babies in my life would be absolutely safe with me. That's why I made sure I knew how to install the seats, took them to car seat checks to be sure and do all I can to keep them safe. I also plan to take the CPST course as soon as one works with my schedule.

I don't think you need to have kids of your own to be informed and knowledgeable about keeping them safe!

starbuck8088

How ridiculous for them to "trash" you and saying you know nothing about car seats just because you don't have kids of your own. What if the engineer who designed the seat that their child is riding in doesn't have kids of his or her own? What would they say to that?

All I told them, too, was that most newborns don't fit into Britax convertibles from birth. But apparently since I've never actually had a newborn to put into one, I can't know that :rolleyes:

MissAllyLou

I am also a tech but have no babies of my own. Yet, I currently have 4 seats in my car, and 2 in my boyfriends car :love: for the three kiddos that I nanny! Talk about a car seat geek.

kidzndogz

I have no kids (yet) and did the car seat thing on my own at 17 when I had my car retrofitted with tethers for the little kid I babysat. She was in a booster by her parents but I did some research, bought a Regal Ride from Target and took my car to Honda to get the tethers. Her parents thought I was weird.

I kept Ava rear facing till 2 because of the AAP recommendation. I didn't know beyond that was beneficial too.

I learn more everyday and got my tech license back in September.

I do get tired of being asked at checks "who I am with" or "who I am representing". I'm with myself. I represent myself. I simply do it because I love it, not because some company I work for makes me. :thumbsup:

a_js

All I told them, too, was that most newborns don't fit into Britax convertibles from birth. But apparently since I've never actually had a newborn to put into one, I can't know that :rolleyes:

Well, that's ridiculous. Most newborns don't fit into Britax convertibles from birth. Does my having a child legitimize my saying that? :rolleyes: When you're right, you're right.

And, personally, I think anyone responsible for transporting a child is responsible for making sure the seat they use is appropriate for the child and the car, plus installed and adjusted properly. Like you, I transported my niece, and if (god forbid) we had been in an accident I would want to know I did everything possible to ensure her safety. If you're driving, it's your responsibility, and you're very wise to take that seriously.

babyherder

I'm a babysitter for several wonderful kiddos!:love: About two years ago when I got my license (and after I practiced driving a lot without kids in my car) I started driving my babysitting kids places. I knew almost nothing about car seats. I saw a commercial on TV. It showed a car upside down with two girls in 5 point harness seats. They were hanging there, no harm done. I'm sure it was a scene, no real accident. But the point stuck with me. Correctly installed carseats with lots of straps keep kids where they should be! So I started to research for my babysitting kiddos. It was always my job to keep them safe so it must be my job in the car too. Then I stumbled upon this site. And I'm now the proud owner of more car seats than can fit in my car! And proud big sis to my 13 y/o bro who still sits in the back of my car about 95% of the time.

soygurl

Ahhh... this thread is nice. Makes me feel slightly less crazy! :p

I've always loved kids and baby sat a lot in high school; parenting magazines were a major vice of mine too. But I didn't get the car seat bug until my closest friend became pregnant with her first. I've always liked researching stuff so she asked me to figure out which car seat was the best (lol). I joined the BabyCenter boards and got totally sucked into the car seat board. From there, I found this fantastic place, and have been lurking (and occasionally posting) ever since!

I finally got certified in November and it's really nice because it really seems to help convince people to listen. It was really hard a few years ago when my brother put my 3.5yo nephew into a booster because he was "too big" (uh no, he wasn't! I checked...) and wouldn't listen when I tried to explain why he was too young for a booster. But bing bang boom, I got certified and he listened really well when I (again) said that 3.5 is WAY too young for a booster (and why).

I still run into problem people though... Parents tend to roll their eyes at me when I give suggestions on car seat behavior issues. It's really frustrating because, besides dealing with some of the same issues with my nieces and nephews, I've learned a LOT here about that kind of stuff. I *know* all kids are different, and I know riding in a car with a screaming toddler is a hell unlike any other. I also know that my brain is full of tried a true tips and tricks I've learned from parents! Oh well, can't save everyone. :rolleyes:

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm another person who is a tech, has been car seat crazy since I was a kid, and have no kids of my own. You don't have to have kids to know about car seats, just like having kids doesn't mean you automatically know everything about car seats.

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
I am 26 and no kids, my road to becoming a tech is similar to many other stories out there. I've always loved baby stuff and after one of my nephews was born (1998) started doing some research just to know more about it. Less than 3 years later my sister asked me to do some research because my nephew who was only 2 and had special needs was almost 40lbs and outgrowing his convertible seat (Century SmartMove...). There was no going back after that!

Through my research I got connected with the Baby Bargains carseat board, then the iVillage carseat board, I became a member here but didn't like the format of the boards (thought it was too hard to read--sorry Darren!). I have actually never been persecuted for not having kids of my own. I became a technician in 2002 when I was 18. I have not let my certification lapse yet.

I have had carseats in my car for the last 6 years for my nephews and niece (I might have a few in the closet too...). I give advice and hands-on assistance to coworkers (I'm a teacher), friends, relatives, etc. Anyone who will listen! I worked at Babies R US for a summer and I also help people who looked confused in any carseat aisle. I once helped some people in a Target parking lot who had just bought a seat and were trying to install it. I was just sitting in my car because my battery died and I was waiting for AAA to get there.

My 11yr old nephew has special needs and rides in a special needs Roosevelt carseat (thanks to my persistence--and Medicaid paid!), I have two 7yr old nephews in Apex' (soon to be outgrown), there are currently 3 ERF kids in my family. I love knowing that I'm doing everything I can to make the kids in my life as safe as they can (even if people don't take all of my advice).

I'm finally getting married this summer and hope to have kids of my own in a few years (2013).

Mae

Me!

I've been into car seats for...a long time. :p I've always liked the "mechanical" side of kids, lol. Of course, of course, I love the actual kids, too. I like washing bottles, washing/folding baby clothes, changing dipes, that type of stuff. I've also had a subscription to Parents magazine since I was probably 15 yo. :eek: Then when my DNe was born, oh goodness, I was in heaven! I washed/folded his clothes, washed bottles, bought car seats...:whistle: I have three nieces/nephews and have a wide variety of ages of kids I watch, too.

I'm getting certified to be a tech in June. :thumbsup:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
:raises hand:

Another "car seat knowledgeable" without children. Or a wanna-be CPST, I'm signed up to take the course next month. I just found this board a year ago, but have always been stricter than anyone I know about seats, and now triple-ly so. It's funny, those around me are quickly learning that I'm the one to come to for any seat needs, be it selection, advice, help with installs, whatever. I've never had anyone tell me I don't know anything about seats because I don't have kids, but then again, I'm a nanny for a whole passel so I've always got three or six kids hanging off of me, that might help my cred lol.

Anyways, it's ridiculous that someone said just because you don't have kids, you can't know about seats. I distinctly remember when I was sixteen or so, my mom was watching my cousins (then about 2 & 3) and she had put their seats in her car; I went out and checked on them, they weren't tight enough, so I reinstalled them and then let her know. I have NO idea how I knew that they should be tight, but I did. She didn't question it then (and she would have had every right to,) and although she's sometimes surprised, she doesn't question what I tell her now. (I decided I would prepare my parents early for the reality of their will-be-ERF grandbabies. I'm not even married, lol.)

Knowledge is knowledge. You don't have to be a mathematician to know that 2 + 2 = 4. :twocents:

macmomma

I got into car seats in 1987.
I was on the way to the store and had my friends 3 month old baby with me- she was buckled up in an infant car seat behind the passenger seat (I have no idea what kind of seat it was). Stopped at a red light I was hit from behind and pushed into the intersection and t-boned by an 18wheeler- I don't remember much from days/ weeks that followed, I was seriously injured.
My friends baby did not have a scratch on her, the infant seat saved her life that day. Ever since then I am big what car seats are concerned - they DO save lives! :thumbsup:

cdncasper

I became a tech about 4 years ago though I have been into carseats for about 10 years. I have been a nanny for about 9 years and just had my first child 8 months ago.

kirsty

i have no kids, my sisters think im mad because i have so many car seats and theres more i want to get when i got the money.
i been into car seats since i was 8 i wanted a booster seat because the seatbelt would rub my neck but my mum said they were to expensive, my sister used to put the seatbelt under her arm or behind her back but i would never do it because i new it was wrong.
but even though my sisters think im mad about car seats they always come to me about them.

libranbutterfly

I have kids, but I remember being into car seats in high school. I was the only person who picked the ccar seat I wanted for the Baby think it over doll, and the only person who actually installed the seat reading the stickers on the seat. There were several things I should have done better car seat wise in high school, but I didnt know as much then, so, my brother rode with me with no seat from the time i got my licence, and my uncle frequently had me watch his 3 kids when I only had 2 seatbelts to put them in (driving a pickup truck).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC