Question CPST?

lourdes

I want to know how does the CPST course works? It is in any week or it is in a preset week?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It can be at any time, and usually depends on the schedule of instructors. It's a national certification, so you can take it in any state and it will be valid. Do you have a SafeKids coalition there?

lourdes

We have but they only give the course to fireman and police, I change my vacation destination and I will be in Greenville, SC for two weeks but the week that I have available to take it is the first week of January

CPST_Augie

CPS Technician
We have but they only give the course to fireman and police, I change my vacation destination and I will be in Greenville, SC for two weeks but the week that I have available to take it is the first week of January

My course was closed to the public as well. However, after calling and talking to the instructor, he agreed to let me in.

luckyclov

It varies, a lot, depending on where you are. Some areas it's a full week. Some have nights or weekends over a week or two, some are a few days.

My course was a controlled course (not public). I took it with another member and we were the only 2 in the class (out of 11 or 12) that were not law enforcement.

It was an "accelerated" course, so it ran Tuesday 8 am-5 pm, Wednesday 8 am-5 pm, and Thursday 8 am-6 pm. The seat check was at the end of the 3rd day and it did run late (past 6 pm).

The courses are offered year-round, all over the state where I live. The goal in our state is to have every state trooper certified by a certain point in time, so I know the course availability is generous based on that and there's a lot of granting for it.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
In my state, all courses are "closed" but that's just so our state's SK coalition can pre-screen applicants. They had too many people who didn't show up or only came for part of the class and essentially took openings away from people who were really serious about it.

The first thing I would do is check to see whether they'll let you into one of the police/fireman classes local to you. If that doesn't work, you might get lucky and be able to schedule it with your vacation; but it will pretty much take over your vacation so if you can do it locally that would probably be better.

lourdes

I will be there for two weeks, so it might be good enough time.
I did call here but there is only one person that says yes or no and she said no, she told me they didn't have funds, the collision needs to bring someone from the US to give the course, the lady that talk with is a CPST but she just said that she was not going to be giving the course to anybody because she was not getting paid for that..... She said that if I wanted to become a CPST I needed to go to the US and get certified there

lourdes

carseatcoach said:
CPSTs can't teach courses -- they need to be CPST-Is to teach and certify other CPSTs.

The fireman that I talk with the first time told me that she has the needed certification to give me the course, he is the one that send me to her but she said that she wont do it

lourdes

Sad.... I call today to the place in Greenville were the course is given and it is not open to the public, only to fireman and police man......

Baylor

There is one open for me in Nov.. I just cannot get the child care. It is too hard with one boy home all day and then the other having to be dropped off and picked up while I am gone.

I was going to have DH take vaca time but I am going away the end of Nov and he is taking some then.. Oh well.. one more year!

lourdes

Baylor said:
There is one open for me in Nov.. I just cannot get the child care. It is too hard with one boy home all day and then the other having to be dropped off and picked up while I am gone.

I was going to have DH take vaca time but I am going away the end of Nov and he is taking some then.. Oh well.. one more year!

Where are you?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC