Convertible car seat recommendation?

JsMomma

Hello, our little one is outgrowing her infant car seat so it's time to buy a convertible seat. I've researched and it's a bit overwhelming. I was wondering which seat might be best for our car and child. She is 20 month 22 lbs, overall height is 31" tall. I'm not sure where exactly to measure for seated height- from her bottom to her shoulders is 12.5" and from her bottom to the top of her head is 19". We have a Chrysler Town & Country Touring minivan. Her car seat is in the second row in a captain chair. I'm considering the Britax Advocate, Recaro Performance ride, and the Diono Radian RXT. I'm definite open to any other suggestions. We don't have to worry about the amount of space it takes up or anything and I'm most concerned about safety and comfort. Thank you for your help in this major decision.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

All seats pass the same safety tests.

You've given us some great info, with the measurement of 19". The Recaro has a seated height limit (what you measured to the top of her head) of 22.5" rear facing. Something to think about. The main issue people have with it is they find it hard to use. With a taller vehicle they have to lift their child up into the vehicle, then up into the tall seat and over the tall sides. Then there's not a lot of internal room to get a child buckled. Comfortable, yes, but cramped.

The Advocate is a little taller with a little more room. Similar issues, but not as extreme as the Recaro. It's also very wide, in case you want to put it next to something else in the future.

The Diono sits low and has low sides, easier to get the child in and out. It has the most leg room of the three, so it's easier to get a child in and buckled. It's also the tallest rear facing by over an inch.

She's small, so you have more options than most, these will fit her rear facing until over three for all of them, probably closer to four. But getting her in and buckled may be less fun in some.

Do you have the opportunity to try them out in person?

You could also look at the new Britax ClickTights. The Marathon would be tall enough for her, but the Boulevard and Advocate go taller even.

What seat is she in now? Make sure it doesn't have a 29" or 30" height limit if you'd like time to research and choose. If it does you need to buy something today and move her right away.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC