Convertible car seat recommendation for tall baby/small car?

U

Unregistered

I have been looking at Britax because I heard they were among the easiest to install, but it looks as though they have low height limits. My one year old is in the 80-90th % for height and 50th for weight, so I think I need one with a taller shell. I went to Babies R Us today and the salesperson wasn't very helpful - recommended the Britax Marathon. I asked about the Peg Perego and was told that nobody buys it but the salesperson had no idea why.

So - I need a convertible seat for a tall, thinner baby that will allow me to RF her for awhile, that is easy to install, and also preferably won't take up a huge amount of space in my smaller car. Any suggestions? I am overwhelmed by the choices! Thanks so much.

ADS

jjordan

Radians are in the same price range as Britax seats.

The stated height limit is not always what the manufacturer actually goes by. Dorel seats do usually have a strict 40" height limit for rear facing (RF). Most other seats say that you can keep your child rear facing as long as the top of their head is at least 1" away from the top of the seat (provided they are also under the weight limit). For forward facing (FF), a seat is outgrown by height when the child's shoulders go above the top set of harness slots.

So, to tell how much height growing room you have RF, you usually (except for Dorel seats - Safety 1st, Eddie Bauer, Cosco, etc) want to compare how much space is above the child's head. To tell how long a seat will last for height FF, you want to see how tall the top set of harness slots is. (You can actually bring a measuring tape into the store with you to compare, if you want.)

Bottom line is that the stated height limit doesn't always tell the whole story.

As for specific seats... since you asked about the Peg Perego, I'll start there. The Peg Perego doesn't seem to give much more growing room for height than the Britax convertibles (when RF), from what I've seen here. I think they are also comparable as far as FF height room.

The Radians that the pp mentioned do tend to give more growing room when RF, possibly some more when FF as well. However, they do take lots of front-back space when RF unless you buy the angle adjuster, sold separately (about $15). They also can be tricky to install, impossible in some cars, but maybe you'll get lucky - they are easy to install in some cars. (What year/make/model of car do you drive?)

The Truefit is well-liked by some parents of tall/skinny kids. However some skinny-shouldered kids don't fit all that well in the harness.

There are a few tall Dorel seats that might be worth a look - keeping in mind their 40" height limit for rear facing - the Maxi Cosi Pria and the Safety 1st Complete Air.

For Graco, look at the Size4Me/MySize 70 and the MyRide. They are nice seats; the main complaint that people have with Graco these days is that the buckle that they use (which is a relatively recent change) is giving some people problems.

ETA: Occasionally, a salesperson at Babies R Us really knows what they are talking about with car seats, but usually they don't. So honestly, I wouldn't really ask them for advice, or take advice that they give with anything less than a few pinches of salt!

MaKoski

MyRide is really easy to install. We like ours, My youngest is also tall and thin, She is 2 1/2 yrs old and should be able to stay in hers at least another year, We also have a Radian RXT which we also like alot, very tall but not quite as easy to install.

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

I've read reviews that with the Graco MyRide, it is difficult to adjust the straps when it is RF. MaKoski, have you found that to be the case?

I've been reading about the Maxi Cosi Pria, but the review on carseatblog.com called it "complicated" and that makes me nervous. Also, since I won't be needing the TinyFit insert, maybe it's not worth all that?

The Safety 1st Complete Air sounds as though it takes up a lot of space when RF, from what I've read.

I like the Radian but I'm worried about the installation. The TrueFit has good reviews as far as ease of installation and use, so maybe I am leaning in that direction right now...

Mercuria

The Pria was complicated because of the TinyFit, but you can now buy the seat (in nicer colors!) without the TinyFit. Don't let that deter you!

MommyShannon

If you only need 35lb limit, the Classic Britax Marathon from Target is taller too. The TrueFit (also 35lbs) is nice and has lots of legroom. It's a lot bulkier than Britax or the Radian but can be pretty upright so not bad on front to back space.

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much for all your advice!

I was totally getting myself sold on the Maxi Cosi Pria, and then looked at the dimensions and it seems giant compared to other seats. Is that true - is it on the larger side?

I didn't realize the True Fit was only 35 lbs RF - that, plus that it's bulkier than a Britax I think means it's off the list.

Although maybe I don't need a super high weight limit since my baby is on the taller/skinnier side? I should be more concerned about the height limit... but it's hard to compare the seats that do not list a height limit - how am I supposed to tell how much growing room there is? Do I have to go to the store and measure each seat?

Still also thinking about the Peg Perego since I read it was super easy to install, but hard to tell how it compares bulk-wise with the others, and also there is the question of the height limit. Also I have the Saftey 1st Complete Air on my list, but the width dimension seems off compared to the others (29", really?) so that makes me nervous.

ebp913

I have the Peg and love it. If you google Peg vs Radian you'll find some experts weighing in on why the seat is only slightly shorter than the Radian. I was also big on the Pria at first but I couldn't do it because if the size.

Phineasmama

I have a peg convertible in my van. Somehow it takes up less room than a britax, gives my DD more leg room, is easier to load her in and out of than my Blvd G3, but it still has the super nice straps and is easy to buckle like the britax seats. I love it! I only bought it because I got a really good deal, but it's awesome.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC