Question Confused about RF install @ 30 degrees

marcob

I'm confused by the Britax Marathon install guide for RF...

It says to put children at 30 degrees and infants at 45 degrees.. my son can be put at 30 degrees... but then it says on page 15 that you are to recline the seat to position 3... how does one get it to 30 degrees with such a high recline angle.. position 2 would make more sense.. i can then use noddles in the front to create a 30 degree angle... but when its already at a 45 that means I have to put noodles in the back of the seat??

I can't find a single video or picture of a RF convertible seat installed at a 30 degree angle.. can someone help?

http://www.britax.ca/uploads/products/user-guides/107.pdf

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We measure from vertical - so 30* is more upright than 45* (I think that's what you're describing, but just wanted to check).

You do put the seat in recline mode -- and then the actual angle it sits at in your vehicle will depend entirely on the natural slope, or flatness, of a vehicle seat. If your seat is very sloped, the car seat will naturally install at a more upright angle. If it's flat, it will be more reclined.

You CAN NOT put noodles, or anything else, under the seat in any location other than at the seat bight (the crack of the vehicle seat where the seating and back areas join - and that makes it MORE reclined). If you want to make the car seat install at a more upright angle, try pushing down on the car seat where the child's feet would go while you tighten, rather than pushing down in the bum area.

Here's a picture with two seats in it showing one more upright than the other. The closer blue one is at 45*, the further one maybe more like 35* (I didn't measure it).

Attachments

• tworeclineangles1.jpg
    tworeclineangles1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 31

marcob

We measure from vertical - so 30* is more upright than 45* (I think that's what you're describing, but just wanted to check).

You do put the seat in recline mode -- and then the actual angle it sits at in your vehicle will depend entirely on the natural slope, or flatness, of a vehicle seat. If your seat is very sloped, the car seat will naturally install at a more upright angle. If it's flat, it will be more reclined.

You CAN NOT put noodles, or anything else, under the seat in any location other than at the seat bight (the crack of the vehicle seat where the seating and back areas join - and that makes it MORE reclined). If you want to make the car seat install at a more upright angle, try pushing down on the car seat where the child's feet would go while you tighten, rather than pushing down in the bum area.

Here's a picture with two seats in it showing one more upright than the other. The closer blue one is at 45*, the further one maybe more like 35* (I didn't measure it).

Thanks for your quick reply. Its a shame the infant car seat is in the way I can't see how the 30ish degree seat sits at that angle...

In one of my cars the seat is very angled (sporty) and my other car very flat... so on the bucket seat it will likely go to 30 degrees no problem.. on my flat seat.. I'm assuming in position 3 its going to be at 30ish? It just looks really reclined....

Pixelated

On your flatter vehicle seat, try pushing down on the foot area of the car seat as you tighten - you can affect the recline quite a lot that way.

snowbird25ca

Also, just because they can go as upright as 30*, doesn't mean that they *must* go that upright. If your son is happy more reclined than that, that's perfectly fine provided the seat isn't over-reclined. Britax allows anywhere within the range of 30 to 45*.

MommyShannon

Here is my DD's Roundabout 55 which is a very similar Britax seat. My seats are fairly sloped and I put my weight in the foot area. I'm not sure of the angle but it's much more upright than 45.
92d6210a.jpg

callmescipio

Hi, I'd like to hop in on this thread, if that's ok, as I have a similar question with our Britax Marathon.

The definition of using a 45* angle for infants is confusing us- we have a nine month old (29.5 ", 19.5 lb)- does he still need to be at 45*, or is it ok for him to be more upright?

We tend to rent cars that have bucket seats in the back, so I am assuming that even if we set the Marathon to recline position 3, the seat will end up more upright than 45* once installed.

On the off chance that the seat is so sloped that the carseat ends up more upright than the allowed 30*, what are our options for adjusting?

Thank you!

featherhead

Hi, I'd like to hop in on this thread, if that's ok, as I have a similar question with our Britax Marathon.

The definition of using a 45* angle for infants is confusing us- we have a nine month old (29.5 ", 19.5 lb)- does he still need to be at 45*, or is it ok for him to be more upright?

We tend to rent cars that have bucket seats in the back, so I am assuming that even if we set the Marathon to recline position 3, the seat will end up more upright than 45* once installed.

On the off chance that the seat is so sloped that the carseat ends up more upright than the allowed 30*, what are our options for adjusting?

Thank you!

A nine month old should not need a 45 degree angle. How upright depends on the child. You can use pieces of pool noodle placed at the seat bight (where the car's seat back and bottom meet) to make the Marathon more reclined. And honestly, I never measure angles with anything, I just eye-ball them.

livilou

Thank you!

Your DS sounds very much like my DD. She is 9 months old, 28.7" and 19.9lb. I was speaking with a tech the other day as I couldn't get my seat reclined to the mmost reclined position I could only get it reclined enough to the position for 22lbs+ but she isn't 22 so I called and asked and I was told that by 9 months they can sit more upright as they are able to hold their head up. She said just pay attention when they fall asleep - she said while they're sleeping if they can still maintain some head control they are fine and if they cannot, recline them a bit more. I'm certainly no expert, just passing along what I was told :)

marcob

Here is my DD's Roundabout 55 which is a very similar Britax seat. My seats are fairly sloped and I put my weight in the foot area. I'm not sure of the angle but it's much more upright than 45.
92d6210a.jpg

Great picture thanks. I ordered the Marathon 65 Waverly today online.. I hope it goes in nice and easy. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC