Coccoro Install for Newborn in Civic

ADS

tl01

I go over the belt.

Interesting. I wonder how this works for people with higher cars. I could see how it could easy for a sedan. I've thought about buying a Coccoro and if I installed it that way I'd have to lift the baby to at least my shoulder height to get the baby over the belt. That would be a challenge with a bigger baby. DS was 22 lbs at 7 months and about 25-27 lbs at a year. Hmm.....

What if you knock into the belt... does that ruin the installation?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, sorry, I wasn't clear.

If you DON'T wrap the belt around the back, you can lock at the retractor or use the removable lockoff.

If you DO wrap around the back, you can use the removable lockoff or not (either way you'd use the belt guide).

As for putting the baby in, I go over the top. I'm not sure how practical it would be to put the baby under the seatbelt. Honestly, it's weird the first few times, but then you don't even notice anymore. I started with the seat in a Prius so it was really easy just to drop the baby in since the car is so low. I was worried about it in the Pilot and Odyssey since they're taller, but it was a non-issue.

ETA: I knock the belt all the time and it has never loosened.

Momx5

I did not read all of these posts, but does the seat have to be installed like that or is there a way where the seatbelt is not in the way? I had decided on the Radian XTSL for this baby, but I am starting to rethink it because of the height of the Radian being in the middle seat.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Wrapping the belt around the back is optional. It is definitely my preferred way, though. It seems to give the seat more stability, plus it reduces downward rotation (and thereby rebound as well).

So while you don't have to do it, you might want to give it a try. (Depending on how many kids you have, if it were installed in the middle you could load the baby from the side without the seatbelt in the way, too.)

Calideedle

Interesting. I wonder how this works for people with higher cars. I could see how it could easy for a sedan. I've thought about buying a Coccoro and if I installed it that way I'd have to lift the baby to at least my shoulder height to get the baby over the belt. That would be a challenge with a bigger baby. DS was 22 lbs at 7 months and about 25-27 lbs at a year. Hmm.....

What if you knock into the belt... does that ruin the installation?

I had it installed for a week in my Dads truck (F150, really high up) and I had no issues getting DS2 who was 11months and 23lbs in and out. I went over or he climbed under.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In my car routing around the back seemed to cause the belt to switch unless you were very careful (I had the same problem when putting in my European infant seat) so I wouldn't do it; if I were doing a 3 across or had the baby in the seat already would probably find it easier to switch the retractor. So I'd probably let circumstances dictate which locking method I used, personally. I'm considering one (plus a frame!) for the next baby...

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Thanks for the confirmation on options :)

I'll be loading mine through the Pilot hatch, but if I had to load from the side it seems like the belt would make things funky, at least for a newborn. In a sedan it probably wouldn't be an issue. If I had it installed center, I would probably just load from the opposite side.

Pixels

Wrapping the belt around the back is optional. It is definitely my preferred way, though. It seems to give the seat more stability, plus it reduces downward rotation (and thereby rebound as well).

Based on crash tests I've seen, wrapping the belt around back actually increases rebound. When the seat begins to rebound, the extra length in the belt wrapped around back translates into a suddenly very loose install. While the head end of the seat rotated up, the bottom of the seat was suddenly free and rotated down and somewhat towards the front of the vehicle, exaggerating the rotation of the seat overall.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Based on crash tests I've seen, wrapping the belt around back actually increases rebound. When the seat begins to rebound, the extra length in the belt wrapped around back translates into a suddenly very loose install. While the head end of the seat rotated up, the bottom of the seat was suddenly free and rotated down and somewhat towards the front of the vehicle, exaggerating the rotation of the seat overall.

The theory I heard was that since the downward rotation is decreased, the rebound would be as well. Since it doesn't go down as far, it doesn't have as far to go back up.

Maybe it would make sense to use the detachable lockoff to keep the lap belt tight if sudden slack really is a problem.

In any case, I'm more concerned with the initial downward rotation; not so much with what happens after that. Do you have links to videos, though?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Interesting...but I'm not sure if a video showing misuse is representative of how another seat, installed properly, would act in the same conditions.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The belt isn't routed through a guide on the Designer 22 so I'm not sure how that would change the behavior of the seat, but I would think it should at least somewhat.

Kat_Momof3

only piece of advice I have... remove the harness pads until baby is bigger... while they are intended to squish together and all that, they're simply too long for a newborn.

Vera@Combi

CPST Instructor
Hello Everyone:

We are delighted that you are enjoying the Coccoro and the Coccoro Flash.

The rear facing use actually has 4 different ways of allowed installation method. The reason for the 4 options is to try all 4 to see what works the best in the vehicle the Coccoro is being installed in and what is the most convenient and easiest for the individual caregiver to use. We are aware of the fact that real-world vehicle seat and seatbelt configurations are much different than the sled we are required to use for certifying for compliance so have gone above and beyond the necessary testing to bring you a product with versatility.

Options for RF Installation:

1. LATCH Installation

2. The European method of placing the shoulder belt behind the seat back in a rear facing position allows for better ride-down during a crash. We do understand that this method is not always practical and sometimes not possible, so have provided a traditional buckle-to-retractor path as an option. (See 3 & 4)

3. Buckle-to-Retractor path of shoulder belt using a locking latch plate or switching the retractor to the ALR (locked) mode.

4. Buckle-to-Retractor path of shoulder belt using the separate Lock-Off that came in the pouch that also serves as tether storage. When using the separate Tru-Safe Lock Off with a non-locking latch plate, the retractor does not have to be switched into the ALR (locked) mode. There is no harm in doing so but it is not necessary. The True Safe Lock Off has a uni-directional cam on the inside that does not allow for the seat belt to be pulled loose. The Lock Off should rest against the latch plate.

On Video Clips: Please remember a few key factors when viewing crash test footage:

1. You are looking at 1 frame for each 1/1,000th to 1/10,000th of a second. The entire event is over in less than 0.2 seconds (2-tenths of a second)
2. Rotational angle cannot exceed 70 degrees when measured from the vertical plane at peak rotation during the test.
3. Rebound forces are typically lower by nature of the event.
4. The European shoulder belt routing does NOT increase the rebound. If the individual has concerns about the rebound they should look for a child restraint that has rebound management features such as the Anti Rebound Bar found on the Combi Shuttle 33, Zeus Turn and Zeus 360.
5. The Transport Canada videos reflect correct installation according to manufacturer’s instructions. There are many very old videos using outdated products on these web sites. Many of the Child Restraints seen in the videos are no longer on the market and the ones that are currently available may have many design and performance enhancements.
6. MOST IMPORTANTLY: The safety of individual seats should NEVER be assessed by utilizing these videos without the ATD Data that goes with it. All CRS Manufacturers are in business to protect children in crashes and design their products accordingly. Viewing the videos and identifying movement as undesirable without the necessary data can be very misleading and can lead to incorrect conclusions.

Please remember that I’m always here to help you and answer questions or concerns!

Vera Fullaway| Community Outreach Program Instructor | Combi CARES
Tel: 303.378.2932 | Fax: 303.595.5269 | www.combi-intl.com

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC