Question Clek and funky LATCH

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Olli's latch attachments don't pivot at all.

ETA: Wow. I am really slow. Either that or I didn't hit refresh before I posted.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
:love: Well if it doesn't work in my car, hopefully it will work in the next one, or in the daycare director's 4Runner.

tam_shops

Of course as you know, I prefer not to use it without.

Why? *Thought* I read somewhere the opposite, that latched boosters can cause problems, *perhaps* with smaller kids?

You can *not* use it if it's not flush, right?

And, anyone know how and/or if any of these fit into a Toyota Matrix? So wish I'd tried one when I did my tech training...Tried the Monterey, but since I bought it for the middle (where there is no head rest), that ship has sailed and/or field trips (where I won't be to check), that ship has sailed too....

tam

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Why? *Thought* I read somewhere the opposite, that latched boosters can cause problems, *perhaps* with smaller kids?
You're probably thinking of the Transport Canada testing... while I took that into consideration, I also took into consideration the European results which show that heavier boosters that use ISOFIX didn't load into the child as much as heavier boosters that didn't (or in some cases, even some of the lighter boosters.) Also the side impact benefits, and secured projectile benefits. Yeah, it's a trade-off.
You can, if it's LATCHed, and is touching at some point (say, it's in recline mode and the headrest or top part is leaning back on the vehicle seat or headrest.) This means that it's compatible in seating positions with fixed forward-leaning headrests as long as the seating position has LATCH, you just have to recline it to get it to work.
And, anyone know how and/or if any of these fit into a Toyota Matrix? So wish I'd tried one when I did my tech training...Tried the Monterey, but since I bought it for the middle (where there is no head rest), that ship has sailed and/or field trips (where I won't be to check), that ship has sailed too....

tam

I haven't worked in more than one Matrix. What's the issue there?

canadiangie

tam

The TC tests showed an increase in abdominal loading, some of the time. At no point did TC express grave concerns about this, though, and I believe the now discontinued Clek Oto showed the highest numbers (but please don't quote me, it's been years since I combed the TC crash test research study).

The concern, if there is one, with using an unlatch'd booster like the Oobr is that it's very heavy behind a child's body if it's allowed to move forward on impact. Having it latch'd would mean its kept in place; less loading behind the child. It's mainly a theory, or a personal preference thing.

Eta: no idea how an Oobr fits in a Matrix. Are you hoping to put it in the middle seating position? I doubt you'd want to send an Oobr on a field trip. Its built like a tank and costs $300+.

tam_shops

heavier boosters that use ISOFIX didn't load into the child as much as heavier boosters that didn't

I haven't worked in more than one Matrix. What's the issue there?

Thanks! The heavier booster part makes perfect sense and explains a few other things I didn't understand! LOL

I've never tried a Clek in the Matrix. I just asked in case you knew and b/c it has fit issues w/ the Radian and the seats are really sloped, so it may have saved me the trouble of trying, if someone already knew it didn't fit...

The TC tests showed an increase in abdominal loading, some of the time.

The concern, if there is one, with using an unlatch'd booster like the Oobr is that it's very heavy behind a child's body if it's allowed to move forward on impact. Having it latch'd would mean its kept in place; less loading behind the child. It's mainly a theory, or a personal preference thing.

Eta: no idea how an Oobr fits in a Matrix. Are you hoping to put it in the middle seating position? I doubt you'd want to send an Oobr on a field trip. Its built like a tank and costs $300+.

Thanks Angie! That also makes perfect sense! My *plan* would be to put the Oobr outboard (latched) 99% of the time, then if a friend comes, move it to the middle b/c it'd only take a minute, but given what I've just read, thinking it's not such a good idea--no centre latch...Really, I just need to suck it up until I get a new car! LOL It'd leave me with a Monterey to put middle (against manufactures instructions) or a Graco NBB (not safe, but aloud, right?). OR moving YDS's RF (or eventually FF) seat to the middle (safe and aloud, but a lot of work!).

Sigh on your excellent point about the Oobr for field trips...Though, I have been dropping off the Maestro/GN seat and installing it the night before for field trips. Given, I've only been working one day a week so...Would you send the Graco NBB, the Monterey anyway or what?

tam

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Further to the gap being allowed on the Oobr, if you recline the Oobr at all, you *will* have a gap. That's how the recline feature works. It extends the anchors outward, pulling the base of the seat away from the seat back.

As for the Matrix, and I know tam didn't want to use it in a middle position, but just for others reading, *if* the centre seat belt comes out from between the lower anchors (which I suspect it might in a smaller vehicle as it does even in my mid-size SUV), then you cannot use the Oobr with the lower anchors in the centre position. The seat belt has to come from outside of the lower anchors.

One of the things that add to the cost of the Oobr is the rigid latch system and the ability to recline the seat, so definitely a nice feature to take advantage of. When I was trying the Oobr in my vehicle, Chris from Clek immediately noticed it would not be compatible in the centre due to the seatbelt/anchor issue, and told me to use it outboard to take advantage of the rigid latch.

tam_shops

As for the Matrix, and I know tam didn't want to use it in a middle position, but just for others reading, *if* the centre seat belt comes out from between the lower anchors (which I suspect it might in a smaller vehicle as it does even in my mid-size SUV), then you cannot use the Oobr with the lower anchors in the centre position. The seat belt has to come from outside of the lower anchors.

Chris from Clek immediately noticed it would not be compatible in the centre due to the seatbelt/anchor issue, and told me to use it outboard to take advantage of the rigid latch.

VERY good to know, will check my belts. I don't want it for the middle (YDS kicks ODS in the head when he sits there), but want the *option* of putting it there. Where is Chris located? I want him to check my car and seat, so I don't buy another seat that isn't compatible w/ my car! LOL

Oh, and for others, apparently (PM from Nicole) the Oobr does fit in a Matrix--outboard, but it sits high.

tam

Vera@Combi

CPST Instructor
Hi Everyone: Clek has no issues with the LATCH anchors being raised from the vehicle seat bight. The Magnesium is strong enough to support the child up to the maximum weight capacity of the booster seats (Oobr, Olli and Ozzi). The gap under the booster seat is acceptable as long as the front of the booster (under the child's knees) is in contact with the vehicle seat cushion.

~Vera at Clek

crunchierthanthou

Oh, see! I remembered right! Clek are gooooooood forum stalkers.:thumbsup:

She may have been tipped off. ;) But yes, I definitely appreciate that Clek is willing to participate here.

Thanks for chiming in, Vera. I remembered you saying that at the Clek update last month, but you posting your explanation sounds so much better than a third hand "Vera said it's okay...".

sparkyd

It'd leave me with a Monterey to put middle (against manufactures instructions) or a Graco NBB (not safe, but aloud, right?). OR moving YDS's RF (or eventually FF) seat to the middle (safe and aloud, but a lot of work!).

I might be misunderstanding (tired; shouldn't even be on the computer) but did you mean you'd put a high-back turbo booster in the middle (as opposed to no-back)? If so, then that makes sense. Putting a no-back booster wouldn't be any safer than the Monterey - and would not be allowed - because both require support behind the child's head. If the child's head is low enough that the vehicle seat back provides support, then no head rest is needed for the no-back or the Monterey.

Also, I don't think anyone has ever said that using a high-back turbo booster without a headrest behind it is UNsafe. It may seem debatable given that Diono is so adamant about the Monterey, but we can't jump from there to saying that any booster without steel in the headrest is unsafe without support behind it. If I've missed some real-life info about the Turbo, I'd love to be put in the loop. :twocents: ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC