Check this out

Morganthe

Grrr I am so jealous - I WANT A NEW CAR! lol Everyone here seems to get really new really expensive cars - maybe it's an American thing? I only know a couple of people with BRAND NEW cars, everyone else has really old cars, most pre 2000. I certainly can't afford a post 2000 car any way!

I've only bought one new vehicle and I hope to never do that again. 18 months ago, I bought a 7 year old car and was pretty darn happy with that. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if the difference is in financing options. Many Americans get 4-5 year loans or lease their cars. I've recently seen loan options for 6 years!!! :eek:
I'd rather own an older car than pay interest and higher car insurance. :shrug-shoulders:

ADS

ThreeBeans

I made the mistake of buying a new car once. I won't do it again. I like to find a happy medium between old-butt car that is going to be in the shop every 12 minutes and so new that you lose 3 thousand in depreciation when you drive off the lot.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I like owning new vehicles. I never have to worry about breaking down on the side of the road in -40 weather with 2+ kids. ;)

We get new vehicles about every 4 - 5 years and we never pay more than cost. We also lease or finance at less than 1% and DH gets a big discount on insurance because of his profession. I think it's worth the piece of mind. That's my vehicle though...

OTOH, dh doesn't necessarily agree with me. He just bought his first new car ever and plans on keeping it for the next 15 years. :) His first car was bought at an auction and was around 10 years old. We kept that car until it was 18 years old and was pretty much dead on the side of the road. :D

Synchro246

Woot! Congrats!

PS, I just found out I can put a ff radian on either side of DS Wizard :D It is a tight squeeze but the bench is perfectly flat so they fit. Interestingly enough, a RF Radian doesn't puzzle with a ff Wizard in that position :confused:

Doesn't matter...I can fit FIVE HARNESSED KIDS IN MY CAR!
Now I'm curious if the FF radians will puzzle fit with and RF wiz :)

Well, it could be used for a rear facing top tether anchor point if you ever need one behind the front passenger seat. :thumbsup: Congrats on becoming a minivan owner, it makes life a lot easier with the kiddos. :D If you want the license plate picture taken out of the OP, just say the word and a mod can probably remove it for you (the picture at any rate, I'm not confident in my ability to edit out the plate only, lol).
Did Recaro say you could RF tether if there was a dedicated anchor available?

Jordynsmama

PS, I just found out I can put a ff radian on either side of DS Wizard :D It is a tight squeeze but the bench is perfectly flat so they fit. Interestingly enough, a RF Radian doesn't puzzle with a ff Wizard in that position :confused:

Doesn't matter...I can fit FIVE HARNESSED KIDS IN MY CAR!
Good now you can start working on # 4. :p

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I made the mistake of buying a new car once. I won't do it again. I like to find a happy medium between old-butt car that is going to be in the shop every 12 minutes and so new that you lose 3 thousand in depreciation when you drive off the lot.

Exactly. When I went out to trade in the Xterra, I was thinking of a new Tahoe. Right up until I found the Armada. 2007 18,000 miles on it, and I only paid 37,000. That's 10,000 less than the 08 Tahoe ( which didn't even have side airbags), and 18,000 less than a brand new Armada. The only thing I lost out on by buying used was a DVD player. But thats not a big deal. I just strap the laptop (computer, not carseat) to the front console and pop in a movie and we're good to go.

southpawboston

no more santy? probably a god thing, as those all develop problems after a few years. the ford is much safer, too...

what ever happened with the insurance?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
off topic, but really? you're not concerned about the projectile hazard? a laptop weighs even more than a DVD player, and has all the same sharp edges.

the center console has this deep, IDK what to call it, it looks like the inside of a corningware dish depression on top. My laptop fits into it perfectly. I use cargo tiedowns (not bungie cords, the kind that you use to tie down cargo on a flatbed truck) around the entire console so it is held in. The only way it's going to go flying is if the console comes unbolted from the floor of the vehicle.

ThreeBeans

no more santy? probably a god thing, as those all develop problems after a few years. the ford is much safer, too...

what ever happened with the insurance?

Bye bye Santa! I'm not missing you!

We've been for a couple of long (20+ miles) drives in it, and it's just....QUIET. *sighs with pleasure*

As far as maintenance and safety goes though, you don't get much better than a modern Hyundai. Ford has a much worse maintenance record.

I'm assuming I'll be getting a bill for 500 eventually. Until they send it though, I'm not in a hurry to root out the checkbook though ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC