Cheaper but safe car seat for 4 year old.

ZacsMom

I'd really like to keep my son in a 5pt harness, he uses a britax regent in our car. However, my parents want to buy a backup car seat for their car and can't afford to spend more than $50-$70.
Any advice in this area?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
How much does he weigh?

:yeahthat:

If he's less than 40, you have a lot more options than if he's 40 lbs. or close to it. Also, how tall is his torso when seated (sit him against the wall cross-legged, mark the top of his shoulder, measure from there to the floor)? Or if he's not there for you to measure, what slots does he use on the Regent and where are his shoulders in relation to them?

ZacsMom

sorry, he will be 5 in march so he is exactly 4 and a half and about 43lbs, he's def. over 40lbs for sure.
His torso crotch to shoulders when seated is between 14 and 15 inches (he was VERY wiggly when I was trying to measure.)
We're about to go look at seats. Someoen told me the graco turbo booster was good... thoughts?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The only thing in that price range at Target is the Turbo. However, the Safety 1st Apex is $90 on albeebaby with free shipping (search for "Biltmore"), and it would allow him to be harnessed.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
A turbobooster should be okay for his age and weight especially if these will be relatively short rides. He needs to understand that booster seats put more responsibility on the child than harness seats do. If riders are out of position at the time of a crash, the booster may not work properly. Teach your son how to keep his bottom the whole way back in the seat, sit still, keep the shoulder belt in place, the lap belt low across his hips, and to make sure the belt is over the red belt guides.

ETA: Although, if you could swing it, I'd rather see him in the Apex.

ZacsMom

I guess I should mention that he is autistic so it's harder to talk to him about importance of things like mentioend above. However, he DOES really love to buckle up and be secure in the car. He actually panics if he thinks we are going to leave before his harness is tight enough.

ZacsMom

i'm looking on albeebaby and see the apex car seats but it says free shipping on orders over 100... i see an apex for 89.99... is that after taxes it would be free sh ipping or free shipping before taxes? i'm just not sure..thank you

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
I guess I should mention that he is autistic so it's harder to talk to him about importance of things like mentioend above. However, he DOES really love to buckle up and be secure in the car. He actually panics if he thinks we are going to leave before his harness is tight enough.

In that case, I would REALLY rather see him harnessed. :twocents:

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
The ride safer travel vest is the most common and easiest to use. You can use it with a lap/ shoulder belt with or without a tether or with a lap belt only but then you need a top tether. Basically they take the seat belt and put it in the correct position and it also spreads crash forces out among the whole chest- more like a harness than a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC