cheap seats for travel?

MilesOnBoard

We have a trip planned for January where we will be flying with our two boys and renting a car for a week. For our older son (4.5yrs, 40lbs) we have him FF and harnessed in a Britax Frontier and bought a Hybrid Go harnessed booster for travel. It was more money then we had initially wanted to spend on a travel seat, but it installs really easily - we tested it at home for two days - and he is well-positioned in it.

We are having a difficult time choosing a travel convertible seat for my younger son (21 months, 24lbs). He is currently RF in a Britax Boulevard. We looked at all the lightest weight seats (the Cosco Scenera - not sure that is the right name, but the RF one), the Evenflo Tribute, the SureFit, etc . While all of these seats are about 9-10lbs, they look really bare bones. We spent so much time looking into the Britax seats and feel good about the safety features. I know that all seats have to pass the same basic crash tests, but at what point is a safety feature an advertising gimmick as opposed to a must-have? i.e., side impact protection, headwings, etc.??

Also, I don't want to spend a ton of money on a secondary travel seat, but I would be horrified if I bought a crappy seat to save $30 and my son wasn't even particularly safe in it.

How do you decide this and balance it all out? Both our boys are pretty small weight-wise, but average to larger height. We won't outgrow seats by weight, but might by height.

Ideas? Advice? Are other people struggling with this too?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
All seats are safe. We have no way to know what or if provides a benefit. And most kids don't stress about the comfort of a seat.

My daughter rides in a First Years True Fit normally. She's used a Combi Coccoro for travel for years. I'm getting rid of it this week (she's outgrown it) and we'll be using an Evenflo SureRide from a friend and tech. Just so I don't have to buy a seat for six or so months of travel. Otherwise I would have looked at likely an Evenflo combination seat for travel for her. If she'd have been younger now, I would have looked at the Safety 1st Guide 65 and Evenflo SureRide first for travel, with the Guide being the definite forerunner. It's compact rear facing, narrow, lightweight, easy to install and use, and inexpensive.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC