Chaperone install in cars?

jsmom

Has anyone installed a Chaperone seat in a Toyota Matrix or similar and had success? I really want an infant seat with head wings but im afraid this seat isnt going to fit! Im guessing it will have to go outboard because I also have my DD who will be in a Nautilus very soon. I searched and found threads suggesting other seats for small cars but im just wondering if anyone has been able to get one installed correctly. Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Do you have a passenger in that car? If so, the Chaperone is HUGE and it's unlikely you'll have a comfortable passenger.

What is it about the wings you like? Keep in mind that most side impact protection comes from rear facing and a five point harness, both of which any infant seat have.

Wendy

jsmom

Yes, my husband and myself up front.

Really, im not sure what about the headwings appeals... I guess I just feel like its a little safer? Im having anxiety over the thought of both of the kids being next to the doors. :eek: The other seat I am thinking about is the KF, but I feel like the baby NEEDS something surrounding her head.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Watch at about the 1:20 mark. There's a rear facing child back there getting hit on their side.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C10hE5wrMVM"]Crash Test 2010 - 20** Suzuki Swift (Full Test) EuroNcap - YouTube[/ame]

For lack of a better term, it looks comfortable. Hardly as violent as the other occupants.

The backseat, with a properly installed and properly used restraint, is as safe as your child can get. Let's say 100%. You're talking about taking someone and if the wings do something, maybe making them 103% safe. Or in the center it may be as much as 130%. Would I try for the center? Sure. If it didn't work would I stress it? No, because my kids are still 100% safe. In fact, when my second was on her way I put my older daughter's Nautilus on the other side, put a True Fit behind me, and my younger daughter has ridden behind me since day one. Now I have a car with no center, so that choice is removed for me.

Wendy

jsmom

Thank you for your replies and reassurance. I know that my anxiety over all of this doesn't really make sense but the thought of an accident makes me so nervous. I guess its back to the KF and possibly BSafe. I wish I could see a BSafe in person.

mama d

I about the tallest person that could drive when my chaperone was behind me. I am 5'4" and that was in an Explorer.

ktbug87

We have a Chaperone in my Toyota Camry, middle installation. My husband is 6'0" and can drive, and I am 5'2" and fit comfortably in the passenger seat. The installation was checked today and is good!

We also have a Mazda 3. In that car, I will have to be sitting in the backseat, because it has to be installed behind the passenger seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC