Question Center install of TF in 2008 Santa Fe

owensmum

I have a question about installing a TrueFit FF in a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe - can it be installed in the center position? Since there are no LATCH anchors in the center, I am installing with a lap/shoulder belt, but the vehicle manual says a couple of things that confuse me. As I've recently realized that I previously had this seat installed incorrectly (borrowing the outboard anchors), I want to make absolutely sure.

To begin with, one of the warnings says the following:
"Only place a LATCH or LATCH-compatible child seat in the left or right out-board rear seating positions (as shown) to the appropriate LATCH anchors provided."

Also, the pictures that accompany the instructions for installation in the rear center position show the lap portion of the belt going over the child's lap, and the shoulder portion going behind the seat. This obviously isn't how the TF instructions say to install using a seatbelt, so I assume this is just for illustration, but the previous warning mentioning "LATCH-compatible" seats, coupled with the fact that the shoulder portion of the belt goes up at an angle from the TF lock-off, has me wondering.

Is the warning just poorly worded, or does it actually mean that I can't install this seat in the center? It seems to be a secure fit (tight along the belt path, but with a bit of wiggle at the top).

Thanks in advance.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can install there. That says you cannot install with LATCH in the center is all.

They're using older seats or made up ones for illustrations. Shoot them a line saying you found it confusing. Probably other parents have as well.

Wendy

carseatfanatic

You can install there. That says you cannot install with LATCH in the center is all.

They're using older seats or made up ones for illustrations. Shoot them a line saying you found it confusing. Probably other parents have as well.

Wendy

This. Hubby's f-150 and my Nissan sentra both do not have latch in the center. They have the top tether but no latch.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC