Question Center install of RF convertible in Hyundai Sonata

simonalope

Does anyone have advice for getting a good center installation of a RF convertible in a 2008 Hyundai Sonata, which has an unfortunate hump in the center of the backseat? Has to be a seatbelt install - no center LATCH available.
The two possible seats are a Recaro Proride and a Safety 1st Avenue (our travel seat).
We normally have the Recaro on the passenger side and get a tight LATCH install there, but we are taking a trip this weekend and need to fit two people in the backseat in addition to the car seat, so we'd like to get the seat in the center if possible. Ideally we'd use the Avenue for max backseat room, but we'll go with whatever seat installs best.
When we have tried to install a car seat in the center using the seatbelt, the hump and stalk locations combine to make things very difficult. Are there any known/approved ways to deal with the Sonata's hump?
Thanks!

ADS

simonalope

Bumping this to beg for advice on center seatbelt installs in the Sonata.

We tried twisting the stalks but are still getting 2+" of travel at the belt path with the ProRide. The Avenue we can get tighter, but it leans to one side.

Any advice would be much, much, much appreciated.

The most frustrating thing is that borrowing the outboard LATCH results in a rock-solid install and DH thinks I'm being paranoid by refusing to do it this way...

Any techs near Rockville, MD who could help?

flutist

Any techs near Rockville, MD who could help?

I'm not a car seat tech or expert, but live nearby and wanted to suggest you go to Great Beginnings baby store in Gaithersburg. They have days when they do car seat inspections with techs. I actually just called a little while ago since we're having trouble getting three across in our Hyundai Sonata and they said they do this every Wednesday and some Saturdays. You make the appointment with the County: 240-777-2223

They also once told me they have a car seat tech on staff, but I haven't explored that option yet.

Here's the county's page with the times in the area they are available:
http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/content/frs-safe/resources/parents/carseats.asp

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC