carseats to keep at grandma's house

theriviera

We are heading to my parents next weekend for a 10 day trip. DDs are 3 and 1. DD1 is 39", 32 lbs rides in a FF Blvd at home. DD2 is 19.5 lbs, and is still in her graco snugride 35. We also own a roundabout 55 and a cosco scenara.

Ideally, DH would like to not travel with the carseats at all. He would like to buy car seats and keep them at my parent's house.

If we were to buy seats, what would you buy? Are there any good deals right now? DD1 is FFing but DD2 must be rear facing.

Thanks in advance!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A one year old needs a seat on the plane, and won't fit in the lap belt. As per the FAA (http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/) and AAP (http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/108/5/1218.full notice that's dated 2001, this is not new). A 32 pound child is also not likely to be able to tighten the lap belt. So I'd bring both seats with you and install them on the plane.

What we do is put the rear facing child behind the forward facing. That way we don't inconvenience anyone's recline.

Wendy

Kat_Momof3

I think the big issue for me (besides the baby needing a carseat regardless because of size) is the maturity of a 3yr old... would you trust her to sit still the WHOLE plane trip? Even with a carry on of stuff, I really wouldn't. Four... MAYBE... but not 3... even the most angelic 3yr old.

I know seats are cumbersome, but here is what I would do... see if your 3yr old fits in the scenera... if she does, take the scenera and the infant seat (you can skip taking the base if you want and just install the infant seat baseless or pack the base in a big piece of luggage so it's just one less thing to carry)

What stroller/strollers are you taking? that will also help me tell you how I'd get the seats through the airport.

Going by her overall height and weight, I think she'll fit the scenera (unless she's got a super long torso like my dd had at that age), but if she doesn't, then I can let you know what I'd do at that point.

theriviera

Well, it's too late for us to buy a ticket for the 1 year old so we will need a seat there and i'd rather not check a seat. As for the 3 year old, I will try the Scenara and maybe we can bring that one on board. She is tall though and it's mostly in her torso.

What do you think about the Maestro to keep at my mom's house?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's never too late. I'm sure they'll happily sell you a seat, and then ask for volunteers to be bumped if necessary. It's common practice nowadays to do that. It's not safe for your child, or the other passengers, to have a lap baby. A baby is a projectile, and for some reason they're not afforded the same safety benefits as the laptops, books, and carryons (heck, the soap in the lav is restrained!) that are required to be held down because that's what's safe. The flight attendants aren't trying to annoy you, they're trying to keep a three pound laptop from becoming a weapon at 150 mph. But a 20 pound baby is allowed to be free, and will be about 3000 pounds of force in a 150 mph runway emergency.

A Maestro is fine seat to leave there for your older child.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC