Carseat laws in New York?

Mommy2Mya

I am having a debate about a girl who plans on going on a trip with her 10 month old to New York without her carseat. She says that cabs are exempt from carseat laws. I think she's nuts. If anyone could tell me the real deal with carseat laws and cabs, that would be great. Thank you!

ADS

Mommy2Mya

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm actually really surprised. I find it quite crazy that just because a car is painted yellow and called a taxi means that you don't need to use carseats in it.

littleangelfire

It is crazy. I'm sure they do it that way b/c people who don't own cars and use taxis on occasion probably don't even own car seats (though they should if they're going to travel with a child.) and they think its too hard to put a seat in and out and in and out of a taxi. But I see that the same way I see people who say they put their 3-4 year old in a booster seat b/c "it's more convenient". Its just not worth it.

keri1292

It is crazy. I'm sure they do it that way b/c people who don't own cars and use taxis on occasion probably don't even own car seats (though they should if they're going to travel with a child.) and they think its too hard to put a seat in and out and in and out of a taxi. But I see that the same way I see people who say they put their 3-4 year old in a booster seat b/c "it's more convenient". Its just not worth it.

I don't think that the installation is the problem. What would I do with 2 MA's and a Regent walking through Central Park/Times Square/Ellis Island/Empire State Bldg? :D It's the after the car ride part that is difficult. We take the subway when we go to NYC. Kids think it's more fun and it's a lot cheaper.

Loves2sing

Can you make sure not to let my dh know this? As far as he knows, (because this is what I have told him;)) all cabs have to meet the same car-seat laws as anyother vehicle does.:evil grin: Well, as far as my parenting goes, THEY DO HAVE TO MEET MY requirments!:cool: LOL

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Can you make sure not to let my dh know this? As far as he knows, (because this is what I have told him;)) all cabs have to meet the same car-seat laws as anyother vehicle does.:evil grin: Well, as far as my parenting goes, THEY DO HAVE TO MEET MY requirments!:cool: LOL

And you are not even lying to him! They DO have follow the laws (of physics), just like every other car!

katiesmommy

This thread is funny to me, because DH and I have been talking about this. We've been taking cabs since we moved. I pop my Decathlon onto my stroller and we walk around with it like that. DH was saying well we don't have to take her carseat because cabs are exempt. I said yeah, doesn't mean that's what I'm going to do. We'll take the carseat anyway until we get a car, and I don't really care how funny it looks.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Just because the legislators aren't smart enough to make safest practice mandatory does not mean it's OK -- the laws of PHYSICS don't care what state you're in.

NY laws > http://www.safeny.com

Taxi tips > http://www.thecarseatlady.com/taxis/using_taxis_11.html

& my website has a video of a baby-sized dummy in "mom's" arms during a crash (baby is 1st ejected & is then crushed flat by mom) + a picture of Seatbelt Syndrome....

Dillipop

When we went to DC this past spring, we took a shuttle bus from the hotel to downtown. Dh's comment was that we would just take a taxi back to the hotel when we were through- Yeah, right! My kids will NEVER ride in a car/taxi/van without a carseat.

We took the metro and walked the 5 blocks from the station to the hotel and DH now knows never to mention taxis when the kids are with us!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC