Cars affected by SuperLATCH loosening - Video included.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Please, any of you who have had your seats loosen, report the problem to NHTSA. This really seems like it's becoming a widespread issue and it needs to be corrected. Since SKJP isn't making any moves, it's going to have to come from NHTSA.

I can't even imagine how many seats are out there owned by "non-carseat" people who don't realize this could be an issue, so they don't check for it.

ADS

MonkeysMom615

I haven't had the opportunity to see if it loosens b/c I can't even get the SL tight to begin with. I also have the problem that the locking mechanism sits right on the edge of the belt path meaning I can never get it tight. If it were shorter or longer (as to either be IN or OUT of the belt path) then maybe I could use the SL.

2002 Saturn L300 - Outboard passenger

Chex

After Russ forgot about me for a while, we finally got in contact again today and he's sending me a new SL LATCH strap and we'll see if it has the same problems. My guess is it will, but I'm trying to be optimistic. I'll report how it goes after I get the new strap.

Farm_Mama

I had no idea this was a known problem! I've been tightening and re-tightening the SuperLATCH on my daughter's seat. I thought she was just kicking the metal piece on the strap causing it to loosen. I will be filing a NHTSA complaint right now and calling SK in the morning.

DD's seat is installed RFing in the 2nd row driver's side captain's chair in our '06 Honda Odyssey.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
I had no idea this was a known problem! I've been tightening and re-tightening the SuperLATCH on my daughter's seat. I thought she was just kicking the metal piece on the strap causing it to loosen. I will be filing a NHTSA complaint right now and calling SK in the morning.

DD's seat is installed RFing in the 2nd row driver's side captain's chair in our '06 Honda Odyssey.

Do you have another seat she can ride in in the mean time, or can you get an acceptable seatbelt install on it? She should definitely not be riding in it like that, I can't even imagine how that strap might perform under crash forces.

Farm_Mama

Do you have another seat she can ride in in the mean time, or can you get an acceptable seatbelt install on it? She should definitely not be riding in it like that, I can't even imagine how that strap might perform under crash forces.

No worries, I'll definitely be doing a seatbelt install before using it again. :thumbsup:

twin momma

Will check the RN XTSL installed RF in my husband's Lexus tonight and edit this if there is a problem. It is installed with the SL. The other XTSL is installed with a seatbelt.

Nope, the seat has remained tight int he Leux. It's a Radian XTSL installed with the SL. I got that seat the first month it was on the market... so it's a little over a year old.

Last edited:

Cattitude

I haven't had this issue in my car but now I'm nervous. Maybe I should proactively re-install with the seatbelt?

I mean, what if it decides to loosen while I'm driving with my DS in the seat?

chelsey

I haven't had this issue in my car but now I'm nervous. Maybe I should proactively re-install with the seatbelt?

I mean, what if it decides to loosen while I'm driving with my DS in the seat?
I was thinking the same-I don't have a problem now but what if...:whistle:
what to do,what to do...

Farm_Mama

Russ kind of poo-poo'd it when I talked to him the other day. He sent me a new LATCH strap that just came, but how in the world are you supposed to change it? The dumb thing is riveted to the seat. Aside from cutting it off, the old one can't be removed and there is no way to secure the new one to the seat. At this point, I just want to get DD a new seat and not mess with this. I'm quite sure that the loosening we are having is because the loosener thingy(I'm sure that's the technical term :p) is right at the edge of the belt path. If that is the case, then unless the strap is redesigned it will continue doing the same thing.

butterfly_mommy

Canadian

SL loosening (after being rock solid for 9 mons) on 2010 Canadian XT RF outboard passenger side in a 2001 Volvo S40 at a 35 degree angle.

Contacted SKJP through e-mail and after waiting a week or so got a response with a photo showing how to tighten the latch straps :rolleyes: haven't followed up with them.

Also reported to transport Canada and need to follow up with them.

Seat now installed with seat belt.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I see that Farm Mama mentioned almost this same exact thing, but I'm going to share our experience anyway. We had a problem with our RF XTSL loosening in our '04 Ford Freestar (captain's chair). It would be REALLY loose, like I could pull a full 8 or 10" of slack out of the strap. After tightening it every time I put Z in the seat and being puzzled and concerned about it for a week, I finally figured out that Z was doing it with his foot. When he would hang his legs over the side of the seat, his foot would land right on the little loosening lever thing (that's the technical term for it, right?) and therefore, the latch strap would end up super loose. So, we're not having the issue per se, but I'm wondering if some others who think they are having the issue are actually having the same problem we had. I chalked it up to a poor design and reinstalled with the seat belt. It never even occurred to me to contact SKJP.

mamakc

I see that Farm Mama mentioned almost this same exact thing, but I'm going to share our experience anyway. We had a problem with our RF XTSL loosening in our '04 Ford Freestar (captain's chair). It would be REALLY loose, like I could pull a full 8 or 10" of slack out of the strap. After tightening it every time I put Z in the seat and being puzzled and concerned about it for a week, I finally figured out that Z was doing it with his foot. When he would hang his legs over the side of the seat, his foot would land right on the little loosening lever thing (that's the technical term for it, right?) and therefore, the latch strap would end up super loose. So, we're not having the issue per se, but I'm wondering if some others who think they are having the issue are actually having the same problem we had. I chalked it up to a poor design and reinstalled with the seat belt. It never even occurred to me to contact SKJP.

I came to the same conclusion the first time I discovered that problem with my SL. Then I noticed it happened when DS wasn't in his seat at all between the time I installed it and the time I noticed it was loose.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I came to the same conclusion the first time I discovered that problem with my SL. Then I noticed it happened when DS wasn't in his seat at all between the time I installed it and the time I noticed it was loose.

I wondered if it was happening from the other kids climbing in and out of the van, too. Not that I think they would do it on purpose, but they frequently climb over the Radian to get to their seats and I think they could have been hitting it then. Regardless, even if it is happening from kids kicking it or whatever, I realize that it is a poor design that needs to be addressed, so now I'm thinking that I should report it too.

Farm_Mama

My problem is not my daughter kicking it. It happens regardless because of the placement of the metal LATCH loosener thing. I have come to the conclusion that the LATCH is simply incompatible with the Odyssey captain's chairs.

a&a'smom

I am having the same problem. We just purchased two XTSL seats and neither one is working. The latch strap tightener just will not stay tightened down. It loosens even after a short drive of 20 minutes. This is happening in a 2004 Lexus RX 400h and a 2010 Honda oddysey van. I am currently wondering if I should just return these seats and get a Britax or is it worth trying to get this fixed??? Has anyone had a successful resolution from SKJP?

Brooke

a&a'smom

OK, so I just got of the phone with SKJP and they are sending new SuperLatch straps for both seats. They are saying that they are aware of the problem and acknowledged that in some cases the latchstrap tightener sits at an angle allowing the normal vibrations of driving to cause loosening. They are insisting that this is only occurring in a very small number of cars (i.e certain makes/models). The person I spoke to says that the new SuperLatch straps that they are sending are different than the original ones in that the tightening mechanism contains an extra spring to make it more resistant to loosening. We will see, if they work any better than the original ones.

I'm not sure I trust that this will resolve the problem. I would feel better about this whole issue if they would do a voluntary recall of these SuperLatch belts to the new model if it is truly reengineered. I wonder how many people are using the "old" belts without realizing the potential danger.

Brooke

sparkyd

I'm not sure I trust that this will resolve the problem. I would feel better about this whole issue if they would do a voluntary recall of these SuperLatch belts to the new model if it is truly reengineered. I wonder how many people are using the "old" belts without realizing the potential danger.

:yeahthat:

Stelvis

Just adding myself to the list. 2.5 year old is loosening LATCH strap with his foot in a 2007 Acura RDX (leather seats if that makes any difference), installed behind the passenger seat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE4c6YKu8_w&feature=youtu.be

ETA: SKJP first told me to fix it by duct taping it, which I didn't do, then sent me two new straps, neither of which worked. After sending them all back for "further testing," I was told that I should tighten the SL strap and that would solve the problem. Obviously, as you can see from the above video, it is already quite tight.

purplemama

UGH. Add '02 Chevy Trailblazer to the list. I have used this seat for a year installed with LATCH outboard no problem (rearfacing). I check it EVERY time. Moved seat to center with seatbelt after DD was born. Yesterday I put XTSL back outboard with LATCH. I forgot to attach the tether strap and I went to do that and noticed the seat moved A LOT. WTH? Grabbed it by the belt path and with very little effort it came loose. Thought maybe it was already loose, whatever. Reinstalled. Got it to loosen very easily again.
Not sure why I never had an issue before and do now. Yes, I will file a complaint. Not sure I'll bother to talk to SKJP.
I'm using the MA usually in DH's car for now, I'm just so mad at the XTSL right now and I don't even want to use it at all for awhile. Actually thinking of getting something else.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC