Car Seats to fit 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon

rp2b

We are expecting our first in December and I'm a bit torn on what car seat to buy. Given the age of our car and size of the back seat, is there anything we need to consider when choosing a car seat?

We considered skipping the infant seat and going straight to a convertible, but if our car is too small for a convertible in a full newborn recline position, we're okay getting an infant seat first.

Would love to hear any recommendations for specific seats that will fit, or things I should look out for when trying to choose one.

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

Do you have a budget in mind?

I don't think that hump should be a problem. It would likely be difficult to install a seat in the center because of that plastic bit at the bottom and because of the type of lap belt there. A convertible might work, as it's less likely to contact the lower part of the center seat back. You'd need a belt shortening clip though, and they can be hard to come by.

So, you should probably plan to use one of the outboard seats. There are convertibles that are more compact than most infant seats front-to-back, and others might know more about that than I do. I know Graco tends to be compact, and there are some newer seats that have cool recline features or inserts that help get a good newborn fit, but not sure which ones off the top of my head.

rp2b

If we start with an infant seat, I'd prefer not to go over $200 since it's such a temporary seat, and I know we can get the Chicco KeyFit 30 or Graco Snugride Snuglock 35 in that price range, but wasn't sure about the fit of either of those.

If we go straight to a convertible, budget isn't a concern as we'll spend what we need to to get a good quality seat with the best fit.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I agree that the hump is not likely to be an issue, but the seatbelt and hardware may be problematic for some car seats. It's hard to say for certain which ones would be affected unless you can find reports from a credible source online of models that work well.

The outboard seats should be fine for most car seats, and the Keyfit 30 and SR SL 35 are both great choices. This one is still on deal at $180 https://amzn.to/3hrzWKz and Chicco has a sale at their website with $30 off $199 (or $50 off if you sign up for the email offer): https://fave.co/2FPCqEJ

For convertibles, since you don't have LATCH, I would suggest one with an easy seatbelt installation system like the Britax ClickTight models: https://amzn.to/2Qn93LY

Whatever you buy, unless you are certain you love it and it works, be sure that the retailer has an easy/free returns policy just in case. Return shipping can cost a small fortune if you find it doesn't work or you don't like it for any reason.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC