Car seats in 7 passenger RAV4?

jjordan

I seem to remember this coming up recently, but maybe on FB and not here, since a search didn't turn up anything. I vaguely remember that the third row is very tight for rear facing seats...? What would be some good ways to fit 4 kids (including a newborn)? Not sure on the other kids' ages/sizes, but I'm guessing somewhere around 10, 5, and 3.

ADS

bubbaray

Mine doesn't have the "3rd" row, which is VERY tight. I would probably do:
2nd row newborn and 5 yo in booster (nonLATCH and LBB so so can remove booster easily)
3rd row 10yo (possibly 5stepping -- no ideal, but even the 2nd row seats are shallow and most kids 5 step in the 2nd row at 10) and 3yo in a shallow FFg seat like a Maestro or maybe a RN.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I remember the Rav4 3rd row being very tight. It's a smaller vehicle than the Highlander and the Highlander 3rd row isn't spacious. I know Toyota didn't put tether anchors in the 3rd row of the Highlander (I seem to recall they may now), but when the 3rd row was available in the Rav4, it would be from the time frame when they didn't do top tethers. You're in the U.S. so it's not the issue it would be in Canada, but just something to consider for what FF seat is chosen.

So, I'd probably try and put the 2 oldest in boosters in the 3rd row, assuming the 5 year old is mature enough. But bubbaray owns a Rav4, whereas I do not, so her suggestion is likely more valid..

Last edited:

bubbaray

The problem with the 2 oldest in the 3rd row is going to be getting access to the 3rd row if two seats are installed in the 2nd row (hence the reason for suggesting a non-LATCH LBB for the 5yo in the 2nd row -- easy to load the other two while removing the LBB.

I don't have the 3rd row in mine but have seen it. So tiny. And I don't know if the 3rd row has high headrests for a 10yo to use a booster back there. I strongly suspect most 10yos would 5 step back there. My DD1 (very tiny) 5 stepped in the 2nd row at 10 (but I didn't tell her and she used a LBB until 11)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I wouldn't put a forward facing harness there in the third. The legs literally wouldn't fit. And head excursion wouldn't be pretty...

A RF coccoro BARELY fits. If that gives you an idea.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC