Car Seat Rec for 2.5 year old

U

Unregistered

Currently I have a MR65 RF with my 27 lb, 34" two and a half year old in the center position. I have adored this seat since we got it but have run into several problems recently. I used to be able to get a perfect install and can no longer get a good, tight install anymore in the center position (only position she can ride in due to other kids). In addition to that she can unbuckle the harness and I have done everything possible to try to prevent her from doing this but she still does. While I know it's not a huge issue as long as the straps are on tight enough she still has figured out how to get her arms out of the straps and they are tight so I have no idea how Miss Houdini does it but she does somehow. I am currently trying to sell it so I can get something else. What are some good suggestions? We had a MA70 that I sold when we got the MR65 but now I'm wishing I wouldn't have sold that. :( I can't afford another MA, even if I sell the MR. What are some good seats available now that would be good for her? I want to keep her RF as long as possible. I am sick at the thought of getting rid of our MR but it's just not working for us anymore.

ADS

littleangelfire

Have you tried putting the prickly part of velcro on the chest clip? Many kids don't like the feel of it so they'll stop. Also, if you have other kids, are they older than her? Old enough to tell you when she does it? If they are, or if you have another adult who can monitor it for a drive, set aside a day or a few hours when you can practice it with her. She unbuckles ANYthing and the car stops at the nearest safe place and refuses to move until she's buckled properly. If she's going somewhere she really wants to go, it works even better. If she unbuckles, you turn around and go home.

As for different seats, was the MR65 always in this position? We can certainly suggest other seats, but it doesn't make sense as to why the installation suddenly wouldn't work if it had been. Something has to have changed. What vehicle is it? I don't think there's any particular seat that's going to keep Miss Houdini in, lol, but there are others that will install differently if we can figure out what the issue with the MR is. At her age my first choice would likely be a Radian, especially considering your're doing three people across in the back. Kohl's has a 30% off coupon plus Kohls cash running right now, I think. Makes the base radian model $165 or so when you count that you get $30 back in Kohls cash.

See if you can come back with a few answers and I'm sure others will chime in with some other seat options, too.

U

Unregistered

Yes, we have tried the velcro and she still undoes it. I have a 13 year old and 11 year old who (when with me) always tell me when she unbuckles, we stop, car is cut off, and we don't move until it's fixed. She doesn't care lol. This has gone on for months. I am just at my wit's end with it. She cannot unbuckle other seats we have tried, just this one for some reason.

I drive a Chevy Tahoe. I have never had a problem installing it until the past few months and I just cannot seem to get it tight anymore. Center position has lap belt and no latch but that has never been a problem before. If I do get it pretty tight it is leaning to one side. Absolutely nothing has changed so I don't get it.

I would so love a Radian but I just don't have the $ for it. We are a one income family of 9 so that makes it hard. I am kicking myself for selling the MA. :(

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What if you put a button up shirt on her. Leave it open until after you harness her, then button it up over the harness. Maybe that would keep her from unbuckling?

Wendy

babyherder

The 2.5 year old I watch can undo the chest clip on the myride and get her arms out. I've tightened it so much the straps left marks through her shirt and she could still get her arms out. :thumbsdown: The evenflo chest clip seems to be harder although she hasn't had as much time to play with it so I'm not sure if she'd figure it out.

She hates to have the harness overtightened. Every time she touched the chest clip I would tighten her harness more. It took a mirror and about a week and she hasn't touched the chest clip in a while.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC