Question Car seat installation in the third row of an Acura MDX

I

indigo_swirl

We just bought a 2013 Acura MDX specifically because of its third row seating. We tried to install our convertible seat in the third row but couldn't leave it there because our 4 year old daughter had her knees up near her chin! We didn't even try to install the Graco Nautilus for our 6 year old back there because it's such a big seat. Does anyone have advice on how to install the car seats back there? Or is it a lost cause and we'll have to put them in the second row?

Thanks!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
OMGosh, how did we miss your question? So sorry! How many kids are you trying to fit in your MDX? I'd try to fit them all into the 2nd row if possible. If you have any booster riders, put them in the 3rd row.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Agree with murphydog. Was this just a temporary situation you were doing this? Or was this meant to be a permanent setup? Because personally, i believe the 3rd row is an occasional use thing. To take the grandparents along or an older kid's/teen's friends along.

I

indigo_swirl

Thanks for the replies. We bought it because we occasionally have to move around 3-4 adults plus my two kids. The problem is that at least one of those adults is my mother-in-law, who can't sit in the back, nor can my father-in-law, so we can't have two seats across the second row plus one of them because they won't fit. I suppose I could, but can we put the two car seats next to each other so that I don't have to climb over one of the kids to get in and out?

My son, who is 6 1/2, is currently in the 5-point Nautilus. He's 50" tall and almost 50 lbs. Can we put him in just a booster? That seems so fragile to me after more than 6 years of 5-point harnesses!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My 6.5 year old rides in an Oobr in our MDX and booster mode Nautilus in my parents vehicle. ;)

Your situation is just like mine then. You need 2 seats side by side in the 2nd row and be able to fit an adult beside them. And you need axxess to the 3rd row. You'll likely want MIL or FIL to sit in front passenger and 2nd row then since they can't get to 3rd row.

I've got lots to say about what seats work and how we have it setup and why, but first tell me what convertible seat you have for your 2nd child and whether it's RF or FF and what the age/height/weight of the 2nd child is.

I will say that you likely won't have much luck fitting the Nautilus unless your convertible is a Radian (and even then I'm not totally sure, I'm not a Radian fan so never tried one). The Nauti armrests are awkward and get in the way of everything beside it!

So hopefully your in a position to be able to purchase at least one new seat. Again though, let me know the answers to my earlier questions first and I'll be back later to expand on my answer.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Hey OP, just checking in to see how you're doing. Wanted to remind you to let is know what convertible you have. And the height/weight of your 4 year old.

I

indigo_swirl

Sorry, just got back here today. My daughter is 4, she's 38 lbs and about 37". We have a FF Graco convertible seat.

We love the Acura but are pissed off at ourselves for not testing the seats before buying. D'oh!

MommyShannon

Kids torsos are all different, but my dd outgrew the nautilus before she was 50". If you haven't checked lately (it took me by surprise all of a sudden), make sure your son's shoulders are below the top harness position. It might be close to time to hand down the nautilus and try a booster.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm pretty sure it's the Graco ComfortSport. We bought it for my son when he grew out of his infant seat and then we handed it down to his sister, so it's about five years old now.

Check to make sure her shoulders are under the top harness slot. Most kids outgrow that seat between two and three years old.

Wendy

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay, so your 4 year old is close enough to 40# that there's no point installing with the lower anchors. This is unfortunate as the lower anchor centre install is offset to the driver's side which makes it possible with some seats, to be able to access the 3rd row.

And it's almost certain you'll need the harnessed seat in the centre when your son is in a booster. I'm on my phone so hard to type all the details, but it's unlikely a booster will work in the centre seat. I'll provide the reasons when I'm on a real computer and have more time.

You've got 2 options really, for the middle row.

1. Narrow harnessed seat in centre with seatbelt, booster outboard driver's side, should be able to access 3rd row hopefully by sliding seat past centre child seat
2. Harnessed seat of any size outboard driver's side with seatbelt, booster outboard passenger. Then pop booster out when you need access to 3rd row and an adult sits in centre between 2 kids. I wouldn't recommend this being a large adult.

Now, maybe there is someone who has successfully used a booster in the centre. If so, hopefully they'll pop in. It would have to be narrow and you wouldn't be able to use the lower anchors if it has that capability (due to how the seatbelt and anchors overlap). Could also be an issue if the booster requires head support as the centre headrest only goes up so high.

You'll need seat recommendations of course, but I just wanted to throw out this info while I had a chance.

canadiangie

I would try a Defender 360 by Harmony in the middle installed with seatbelt. And then any narrow booster behind the driver. You guys have boosters down there that we don't have in Canada. I have heard that the new Peg Perego booster is somewhat narrow. There might be a few others that could work.

Barring that, a ff Radian installed middle with seatbelt might work.

Anything you install in the middle with belt is going to be challenging because of the type of seatbelt in the middle.

I'm on my phone, but can you see if there is an experienced tech close to you? We have a technician listing thread somewhere around here...

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
If you can buy that Defender somewhere that allows returns, I'd pick one up ASAP and try it. Seatbelt install centre, and let the seat naturally sit a bit towards driver's side like it will want to. See if you can squeeze the outboard seat past it to access 3rd row. Then give the Nauti a try beside it on driver's side. Pretend it's in booster mode, so don't install, and see if you have enough room to buckle your older one.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Oh and I missed option #3. Harnessed seat centre (usually sits towards driver's side more), then booster passenger outboard. This usually gives more booster buckling room due to the centre seat being slightly off centre toward driver. Then you'd have adult sit outboard driver's side and pop out the booster passenger side when you need 3rd row access.

If you're stuck sitting in the 3rd row though, you'll need someone who knows how to get the booster back in for option 2 or 3 since you'll be trapped. :p

Last edited:
I

indigo_swirl

Thank you all so much! I'll share these answers with my husband and we'll go from there. I really appreciate all your input.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC