Car seat for infant - international parents / U.S. delivery

amandav

I am a surrogate mother, I am 33 weeks preggers with F & L's (from Switzerland) baby boy.
I am due Sept 4th, and I was wondering about car seats and strollers. mainly about the car seats. they will need one of course to leave the hospital, and to travel in a car.
do they have to buy a seat from here with the laws etc? and if they do, what would you suggest? I am guessing they will bring the seat back with them to Switzerland, so a good travel seat would probably be good?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
How long will they be staying before they travel back to Switzerland? That will probably impact the answers you get as to what they will need. :)

InternationalMama

Also, if they want to use the seat for the baby on the plane what airline they are flying will impact whether they should have a European (TÜV-approved) baby seat or a US (FAA-approved) one (or won't be allowed to use one at all no matter which kind they have for some airlines).

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
You may wish to check with the hospital to see what their policy is about releasing babies and whether they must be in a carseat - I'm not sure if a US hospital would release a baby in a Swedish carseat - or if they'd even care...

swtgi1982

The hospital would most likely be there really issue, as they may be the ones that require the US seat in order to release the baby. But for travel one they bring with them, should be ok as previously stated.

InternationalMama

If they bring one from Europe let them know that some airlines will allow them to gate check it (reducing the risk of damage somewhat) and won't count it towards their baggage allowance if they can prove that they are flying back with the baby who will need the seat (ie has a ticket) on the return flight. They should check with their airline about its policy.

Otherwise if they don't have a seat for the baby, they will most likely have to check the car seat as luggage on the way to the US if they bring a European seat and may be charged excess luggage fees depending on the size of the box they put it in. (And for a checked car seat I highly recommend a box!) These days excess luggage fees could be as much as the seat itself.

So I would encourage them to check the airline's policy regarding this as well as which car seats will be allowed to be used for the return journey (if any).

amandav

alot of things I didn't think about. they probably havent either. its their first baby.
I think they have to stay in the states at least a few weeks, there is some paperwork that has to be done and a court hearing with a judge, (I'm not too savy on that side of surrogacy, but thats what the lawyers tell the parents)
I carried last year a baby girl for a couple from Ireland, they bought a car seat and stroller while here, but thats all I know. the contact from them is very short and far inbetween, so I cant ask them, plus they prob wouldnt know certain laws, I dunno.
but they had 3 boys already, so I figured they knew what they needed.
I think we will be able to tour the hospital when they come for a 2 day visit at the end of this week, and I will hopefuly remember to ask them about their car seat policy, and the parents will be there so they will hear the info first hand which will be helpful

amandav

I asked them what they had thought about. and they told me they had a seat that L's sister had given them, and wanted to send it to me to hold and use when they got here.
I know that L's sisiter's kids are older around 10 I think, and I told him I thought that seat was probably expired.
He wanted to send it anyway, then if its not suffecient then buy something here.
I have a feeling we will be doing some shopping then, and then what do you suggest since we will be buying probably from Babies R us retail store.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC