Can CPST charge for their service?

luckyclov

You have to consider the area you're in as well.

I live in an area where child passenger safety isn't really a big thing. People don't care, don't know, or don't want to know because they think they've got it all covered. I don't do many private (non-friend/family) checks as it is, as a free service, so I'd imagine, if I did charge, I'd have even less.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You'd have to figure out if the demographics in your area will support a paid service, and if so, how much you can charge.

I live in a relatively wealthy area, plus I travel to THEM. So people have disposable income and can afford the luxury of someone coming to their home.

I'd charge less (much less) if clients were coming to me. I'd also charge less if I lived in a lower-income area. I'd also charge less if there weren't as much demand for the services.

The availability of free services plays into it, too. If someone can walk into a police station and get a check right then, there's no need for them to pay. Out here, there is often a 4- to 6-week wait for free appointments so people are more likely to pay for the luxury of a quick appointment in the comfort of their own driveway.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
CPSTs *can* charge for private seat checks. I don't think carrying liability is *required*, but I do think it's a very good idea, even in states, such as mine, that may have a CPST liability law.

It depends upon the wording of the law, of course, but once you start charging for service, a good samaritan law probably won't apply. The same would be true for a nurse that helps a passer-by who has a medical condition. That may qualify as a good samaritan under some laws, but not if the person was under the nurse's paid care.

Also, having such a law does not protect you from being sued. It can take considerable time, effort and legal expense to proceed far enough for the lawsuit to be dismissed under the terms of the law.

lourdes

LISmama810 said:
You'd have to figure out if the demographics in your area will support a paid service, and if so, how much you can charge.

I live in a relatively wealthy area, plus I travel to THEM. So people have disposable income and can afford the luxury of someone coming to their home.

I'd charge less (much less) if clients were coming to me. I'd also charge less if I lived in a lower-income area. I'd also charge less if there weren't as much demand for the services.

The availability of free services plays into it, too. If someone can walk into a police station and get a check right then, there's no need for them to pay. Out here, there is often a 4- to 6-week wait for free appointments so people are more likely to pay for the luxury of a quick appointment in the comfort of their own driveway.

I don't lie in a wealthy area but the area that I am focus in it is, and I have made my research and people are willing to pay and if they can have someone that will go to their house, I know that it won't be much but at least it can be like a part time job....

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I volunteered for years before I realized that I was spending 10-12 hours a week at people's houses. That's a lot of time to be away from my family with no pay, often with Laine in tow, going all over the city. So I started charging. I also try to space them out so I don't do more than two in a day with Laine, but even so, it's maybe a few hundred dollars a month. Not a lot of money at all.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC