Question Busser needs Toddler Carseat + Stroller Combo!

kmcenery

Now that you would think about a double stroller what about the Phil and teds. It menuvers very well fpr a double but when you dont need the car seat you can make it a single stroller. I use my second seat now when I need a place to store more things. If you put the second seat down below you should be able to put a car seat down their and you child in the main seat. If you would like I can put my efta and take a picture for you. The stroller does run $500 or more depending on the model you get I have the sport and love it.

I have seen for one of the models you can get a a tray to put on it and you can buy a bag type thing that has a cup holder for you as well from phil and teds. And it is pretty light for a jogger type stroller

http://www.philandteds.com/nz/sport_07_1.htm

ADS

at0micgirl

Re: Does Radian offer enuf leg room RF for 32"+?

If you could find a double stroller that the radian would fit perfectly in, you'd be in luck. ... Getting a radian and a jogger will be a longer term solution.

OK, so lots of you have suggested the radian carseat, presumably b/c it's so narrow and folds up - which IS very cool.

HOWEVER, I am also very concerned about my son's safety and his comfort while we travel, even if I have to lug something a little bigger with. If I get the double-stroller, I probably could fit a variety of seats in the extra chair, even if I had to use a bungy-cord to keep it secure (i love bungy-cords! ;))

Anyhow, I too am concerned about keeping him rear-facing. Will he have enough leg-room to be rear-facing with the radian? :confused:

Will he be able to sleep (recline slightly) in this in RF or FF
(for later)?

If there is something better for these options, can you share?

I think I'm getting to the point that I should start a new thread, so I'm going to do that now and post it here after it's created.

Thanks a ton guys! Your help is invaluable! :thumbsup:

BW1426

I'm going to PM you. PMs are located in the top right hand corner of the screen in case you haven't come across them yet ;)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Re: Does Radian offer enuf leg room RF for 32"+?

Anyhow, I too am concerned about keeping him rear-facing. Will he have enough leg-room to be rear-facing with the radian? :confused:

The Radian has a large plastic attachment that we call the "foot" or "boot" that is used when rear-facing. That and the overall design give it a lot of legroom! :thumbsup: It's also known for being pretty comfortable - it looks scaled-down in pictures because it's so narrow, but it's actually pretty well-padded.

You can fold the seat without removing the foot, but it won't be as narrow as it is with the foot off. Still - it's an easy seat to transport if you've got wheels to put it on (like a stroller), and it will last you quite a while. Once your son is FF, it'll be even better, so putting up with the foot for another year or two might be worth it in the long run, yk?

Will he be able to sleep (recline slightly) in this in RF or FF (for later)?

The foot I mentioned above makes a nice recline for RF kids - sometimes even too much of a recline for some kids who prefer to sit more upright, but generally it's not an issue.

It does have a "recline" feature for FF, but it doesn't really change the angle much. That's good, because FF carseats need to be more upright. The Radian XT that's coming out in Jan (I believe) will have head wings that will provide a place for kids to rest their heads while they sleep, however, as you can see in this pic, my daughter has no problem sleeping in her Radian, even without the head wings:

IMG_1386.jpg

Dillipop

If you are planning to rf him in the cab, then the radian isn't such a good option. It takes up a lot of room rfing and may be too big to fit easily in a cab, depending on the cab's size. Also, there is a detachable foot that is used to rf and it would be a pain in the rear to have to install that everytime and it doesn't stay securely on when out of the car, in my experience. I would suggest a light weight seat, like the scenera or the uptown/avenue. The perk to the uptown/avenue is the epp foam. My 2.25 yo fits well in these and rf's comfortably in both. However, I need a small rolled towel or pool noodle to get a 30 deg recline, which I need with just about any rfing seat, except the Marathon or radian (and I already mentioned the disadvantage of the rfing foot on the radian.)

Defrost

Also, there is a detachable foot that is used to rf and it would be a pain in the rear to have to install that everytime and it doesn't stay securely on when out of the car, in my experience.

There's a metal peg on the foot that slides into the base of the Radian - once it's in place, the foot is quite secure. :)

Dillipop

There's a metal peg on the foot that slides into the base of the Radian - once it's in place, the foot is quite secure. :)

Mine pops off while installing, depending of how I am pushing on the seat. I also find it pops off out of the car, if it is touched just right. Maybe they made the design a bit better since the first ones came out. Mine is Feb 06 DOM.

BW1426

Mine pops off while installing, depending of how I am pushing on the seat. I also find it pops off out of the car, if it is touched just right. Maybe they made the design a bit better since the first ones came out. Mine is Feb 06 DOM.

I would not say that this is a general problem. I've owned two and one of the families I nanny for has two as well. I've never had this issue with any of them.

Defrost

Even with the peg in place? Mine snaps in quite securely. Here's a pic; the metal peg is on the right. After you snap the foot on, you slide that metal peg into the base. It's actually kind of hard to get it back out on my Radian!

IMG_1782.jpg

Dillipop

Even with the peg in place? Mine snaps in quite securely. Here's a pic; the metal peg is on the right. After you snap the foot on, you slide that metal peg into the base. It's actually kind of hard to get it back out on my Radian!

IMG_1782.jpg

ahhh! The peg is a new addition and is not on my model. I would say with the peg, the rfing foot would stay on nicely. (My foot just slides on and kind of clicks into place. I think the peg would fix my slippage problems!)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hi there! I've been away from the forum for a couple days & am in a rush at the moment ... but I'm also a busser :happy-wavehello: I'll check back in this afternoon/evening -- if you don't here from me, please feel free to send me a reminder Private Message :)

P.S. :love: your kiddo's name!

P.P.S oh I completely forgot about this thread & my kid just woke up from a feverish sleep, is calling me, gotta run, will try to stop back in later! :eek:

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Shannon, if you're having problems with the foot detaching while in use, I'd contact Customer Service. They may replace your seat, who knows!

Kelllilee

what about a sit N stand stroller? I have one for my girls and it would give you more space for storing a carseat in the back area. The one I have meets all your wants (although I've not used it in the snow, so I can't vouch for it's snow-worthiness). It does good in gravel and semi-soft ground though.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b...ywords=sit+n+stand&x=0&y=0&sprefix=sit+n+stan

you could also get a nice all-terrain jogging style stroller and get an attachable platform for the carseat. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Lascal-BuggyB...e=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1225120346&sr=1-11

or this:
http://www.strollers.com/Micralite-MA72200-1-MIC1014.html

BW1426

Regarding the buggy boards. I thought about that, but my greatest concern would be that the carseat would get sprayed with all sorts of nasty mud and salt and snow from the side walks. That would not be good. And, with that in mind, I think you'll need to find something to cover the seat with while you are out in about in case it does start to snow. A) You don't want a wet carseat and B) that's not good for the carseat.

jubgulia

I second the Phil & Ted's with Radian (or other seat) idea, as that is the stroller and carseats that we use. Let me know if you would like me to try and see if the Radian fits well in the back seat or bassinet area. I will gladly try it for you and take pictures if you want. :)

PS I got our Phil & Ted's for $300-something with free shipping from Babystyle during a sale, so it can be found cheaper if you come across a good deal.

at0micgirl

OT, but I love the name Atreyu!

xxluckychicxx - i forgot to reply earlier - thanks! :thumbsup:

if you're curious, it's from the NeverEnding Story. Atreyu is the warrior-hero who saves the land of imagination from crumbling into the Nothingness.

Micheal Ende, the author, picked it b/c it's a Denee (sp?) name [which is what people trad. called Navajo, which I've learned is a horrible slur by the Spaniards for "cutthroat"] which means "son of all" or "to be raised by a village".

We're kind of village people over here, so we thought that sounded good. :D

at0micgirl

Regarding the buggy boards. I thought about that, but my greatest concern would be that the carseat would get sprayed with all sorts of nasty mud and salt and snow from the side walks. That would not be good. And, with that in mind, I think you'll need to find something to cover the seat with while you are out in about in case it does start to snow. A) You don't want a wet carseat and B) that's not good for the carseat.

That's a really good point - I hadn't thought that far out yet. :thumbsup:

I also think while i'm at it, if I ever am out with another mom & babe, it'd be nice to only need one stroller since I'm going to have this anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC