buit in carseats

ProudMomof5

I have a question about built in carseats in vans. I did a search and found that it's fairly safe, except for SIP. What I am wondering, though, is if the straps are too high (like at the top of the ears) is that unsafe?
My sister has her 2 1/2 year old in their built in and she said the straps at the top of her ears. She is wondering if that is okay. Also, do these seats expire?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
As long as the straps are above the shoulders, the child meets the weight requirements, and the straps can be properly tightened, and the child does not use the extra space to "escape" it is okay. Many built-ins do expire, they should check the vehicle manual. Also, they are a one-time use item. They should not be re-used after a crash without replacement, and if the history is unknown they should probably not be used.

At 2 1/2, her child would be much safer rear-facing, however. If you'd like some information to send her on that let us know and we can give you some. :)

Pixels

As long as the child meets all the criteria to fit in the seat (height, age, and weight limits), it doesn't matter if the straps are very high. There really isn't a "too high" when it comes to forward facing seats.

ProudMomof5

Thanks!
i'll let her know.
She knows about ERF, but her little one is already 34lbs. So, pushing it. She does have her 19 month old RF though.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Dhs minivan has builtins. We love them, since we only have one set of seats. I have a suburban and minivan and move seats depending on what I want to drive. Kids only go with dh about once a week. We have a 3.5y, 45#,43" and 2.5y,37#,38". Approximately. They have rode in them as backups for a while. Ours go to 50#. Dhs minivan has been in the family for years. My parents bought it when I was in college and they had no grandkids. Our older kids rode in them 2. I like them as backups, but not as long trip seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC