Built in booster seat question

A

Amy

We just got a "new to us" van, (97 plymouth grand voyager) it has built in booster seats, but I don't know if my 2.5 year old is big enough for them, or if we should still use the one he has. I've tried looking online, and can't find any information regarding weight, or age requirements for them anywhere. Does anyone have any idea on the requirements for them, or know where I could find them?
Thanks

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wouldn't. The minimum recommend age and weight for boosters is four years and 40 pounds. So he's got quite a while before he'd probably be big enough. Nevermind mature enough to sit with the seatbelt around him safely for the entire ride without wiggling about or putting the belt under his arm or unbuckling. Give him at least two years, preferably three or more.

Wendy

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I agree it's way too soon to use a belt positioning booster for a child of this age and size. It would still be good to know for when your child is older and larger, or for other kids who are of a more appropriate age and size to use those built-in seats when they ride in your van. Info. regarding the height guidelines and weight limits for using the built-in seats should be in the van's owner's manual. You can contact the van manufacturer for an owner's manual if it didn't come with one and you could also ask the manufacturer for the size and weight guidelines. For owner's manuals, here's a link on the Chrysler website:

http://www.chrysler.com/webselfserv...ervice&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm('R')

And here's a link for customer assistance contact info.:

http://www.chrysler.com/webselfserv...stomer&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm('R')

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Even if you choose to use the built in for when your son is ready, it's a good idea to have a booster that is not built in as well.

The built ins usually aren't very comfy...and you can't take it out of your van and put it in Grammy's car when he spends the day with her.

I think built ins are probably better used for a friend who needs a seat situation rather than your every day situation...but that is my personal opinion.

Susan

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Not ready for any booster yet

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration & the American Academy of Pediatrics both urge the MINIMUM booster requirement of 4 years old & 40 pounds.
  • This is in part due to the fact that the spinal ligaments are still rather undeveloped in toddlers/preschoolers
    • (5-point harness belt system greatly reduces the crash forces upon the child &more effectively prevents injury)
  • Another reason is that brain scan imaging reveals that the synapses associated with the maturity necessary to sit still with the seatbelt properly positioned for the entire length of every ride do not begin to develop until AT LEAST 4-5 years old.
    • (Positioning the belt under the arm or behind the back, leaning out the side, etc. does NOT provide the protection you want & need for your child in a crash)
Many healthy, intelligent kids are still in a 5-point harness until 6-8+ years old right here in America simply because it is so much safer than regular lap/shoulder.... Also, remember that 5-point harness seats have been standard in the racing industry for grown adults because they are proven to be so much safer :cool: Then there's the issue of what to do when your child rides in another vehicle for the occasional fun trip or even in emergency -- either way you will need a harness seat for your child for at least another 1.5 years ... a harness seat will also help limit carseat battles as you will be less likely to repeatedly take your eyes off the road (dangerous in itself) to make sure kiddo has the shoulder belt across the collar bone, constantly nagging at her to use a booster correctly :eek:

Plus, when she actually is the right age & size for a booster, it's safest to have a dedicated booster that has deep head wings with EPS foam (like in bicycle helmets) when the vehicle doesn't have rear side curtain airbags because side impacts, although less likely than frontal, are much more dangerous ... 5-point harness seats are the safest way to ride when involved in a side crash, so for optimal safety kiddo needs that harness carseat still.
  • What carseat do you durrently have?
  • Is it expired?
  • What is your budget?
We can help you sort through the dozens of carseat options if you need a new seat :)

A

Amy

Thank you everyone for all of the info!! The built in seat in the van does have the 5 point harness, but I think I'll just keep him in the seat he currently uses. I definatly wouldn't want to put him in a seat that could jepordize his safty!!
This is the seat he uses now http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1943168 and there is nothing wrong with it, in fact it's only about 6 months old.

Thanks again!!!

Amy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ah, that's where we were confused. A booster seat does NOT have a built in five point harness. It's simply a positioner so that a child can use the car's seatbelt. So when you say you want a booster for your 2.5 year old you can see why we freak. :)

Your son's seat is called a booster on the site, for some reason, but it's actually a combination seat. It goes from having an internal five point harness to being a belt positioning booster without the harness.

The seat integrated into your car is a forward facing youth seat only. You'd have to check your manual about the weight requirements. But if it has a five point harness then yes, you can use it for him. They generally aren't as comfortable, don't offer any side impact protection, and cannot be moved from one car to the next, so it's not the ideal choice at all, but if it was between that and nothing we'd tell you to use the integrated seat. You could also use it as a spare, since you always carry it around. :) Also, check in your vehicle manual about if a child seat can be installed in front of it. Some cars do not allow you to install in front of anything that folds down out of the seat, like an armrest or an integrated seat.

Wendy

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Integrated Child Safety Seats

Ah, yep, I've been trying to figure out who it was I know with a late-90s Voyager to ask about their built-in seats ... some vehicles only have flip-down boosters without harness meant only to lift kiddo up for use with regulat lap/shoulder belt & that's what I thought you meant ;) If yours has the 5-point harness built in then that's great!

Very nice for picking up kiddo's friends & there's no worry of incorrect installation, but I myself prefer to use a separate carseat (assuming proper installation) because in the event of an emergency kiddo will need a separate carseat to travel in another vehicle & a loose carseat in the vehicle is a potential projectile during crash :eek: Also, more & more carseats now keep kiddo harnessed past the minimum 40 pounds with added comfort features that can make long distance travels safer & more enjoyable for the whole family, but it's common that such seats need to be saved up for because they are rather expensive & you've already got 2 good seats that will keep your kiddo safe now.

Carseats generally only have a 6 year lifespan, but I've been told that the Integrated Carseats like yours have the same lifespan as the vehicle seatbelts: which simply means that if the integrated harness seat is occupied during a crash it must be replaced, but otherwise has a very long life & would be safe to use....

So, if it were me, if kiddo doesn't have any problem with his current seat I'd use it & leave the Integrated Carseat space open just in case any other kiddo rides with us who might fit in it -- this way all bases are covered :) If kiddo wants to ride with someone else you've got a seat to put in their car & still have a seat for him to use in yours if by chance the other carseat isn't available. Or ... Does kiddo regularly ride with another family member or care providor? If so, then you could consider having the carseat you showed above installed in that vehicle & leave it installed (checked by a CPST) -- this would prevent repeated uninstall/reinstall which can lead to less secure installation -- having the seat more or less "permanently" kept correctly in the 2nd most used vehicle that doesn't have Integrated Carseats could be a great idea ... although if you had car troubles you'd have to call that person up for a ride since kiddo's only spare would still be in their car, not yours. It's for this reason that we had various carseats: in my car, in the babysitter's, in Grandma's, etc. & I didn't have to worry about risking improper installation!

Just always remember to follow the manuals & feel free to call the manufacturers with questions!

I think there's some info in the FAQ section of this site above on Integrated seats, too?

P.S. sorry I think I said "she" earlier when he's a he, LOL!

Last edited:

scatterbunny

Just wanted to mention that the harness straps of the built-in carseats are subject to weakening like regular carseat straps, so I'd worry that a 1997 vehicle's built-in seats should not be used due to age. :confused:

Also, one more thing about your son's current seat: it has the lowest top harness slot height of all combination seats (harnessed-to-booster). This means most kids outgrow the harness by height much too soon, usually way before 40 pounds. My dd outgrew a seat with the same top slot height (Cosco Alpha Omega) at 2.5 years old and 38 inches tall, so be sure to check where his shoulders are in relation to the top slots on his current seat. If he's still below the top slots, he's fine. If he's getting close to those slots, or is above them, you'll need to start shopping for another harnessed seat with taller top slots.

That's the biggest downfall to most Dorel-made seats (Cosco, Eddie Bauer, Safety 1st): incredibly low top slots.

Dillipop

Also be careful that the built in seat does not have a t-shield. We visited my aunt this weekend and she has built in seats in a 96 dodge caravan, which I think is the same as the voyager. It had a five point harness, with a small t-shield in the crotch area. Not as large as ones in the regular carseats, but still....a t-shield. These are not safe to use! She loves the built in seats because she runs a daycare, but I wish she would just get some regular sceneras. Much safer and much newer!

melaniev

those were an option on my 01 voyager but I opted for a different color vehicle on the lot that didn't have them. The ones I saw were really nice though, 5 point harness seats that fold down. I liked the idea of not having to install anymore carseats! The 01 variety had a 40lb weight limit. I don't see why the harness straps would weaken any more than a regular seatbelt, and I don't think many people replace those d/t age.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC