buckle is in the belt slot area of regent [short route] photo included

NWrach

I have a DOM 11-15-07 REGENT in my 2003 Camry.

My son is 40 lbs now so I just changed it to the Lap Shoulder Bet installation - Short route [using recline bar and versa tether].

Hubby got it nice and snug but as he was removing the slack from the belt the buckle made its way up through the second belt slot [which is closest to the buckle]. It doesn't protrude and poke my son's back but is it okay for the buckle to be there?

To confirm the it's the short route [lap and shoulder belt is passing through the first belt slot from back to front, then under the cover and foam and to the back again through the second belt slot. Buckled on the outside of the recline bar].

Thanks in advance,
Rach

Last edited:
ADS

NWrach

Re: buckle is in the belt slot area of regent [short route]

trying to add a photo of what I'm talking about...hope it works...

IMG_9774small.jpg

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Re: buckle is in the belt slot area of regent [short route]

Did you twist the buckle stalk (up to 3 full twists) in order to pull it away from the seat?

NWrach

You can twist the buckle stalk? I didn't see that mentioned in the booklet.

Before hubby pulled the slack out of the belt, the buckle was near, pressing on the recline bar, is that better than in the belt slot?

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can twist the buckle stalk? I didn't see that mentioned in the booklet.

Before hubby pulled the slack out of the belt, the buckle was near, pressing on the recline bar, is that better than in the belt slot?

It's OK for the buckle to be touching the recline bar. My concern is that something could possibly jab at the red release button on the buckle and cause it to unbuckle and you wouldn't notice. So, either give the buckle a half twist so the latchplate is covering it up or like KQ mentioned, twist it up to 3 full twists to change its position. The 3 full twists will shorten the buckle stalk (the webbing portion of the buckle) and pull it away from that opening in the belt path.

Twisting the buckle stalk does reduce the strength of the webbing, but it's still quite safe up to 3 full twists.

NWrach

Back from the garage...all sweaty from wrestling with the Regent.

Gave the buckle stalk two twists and now only the belt is hugging the car seat. But the seat isn't as snug as hubby had it.

Another question: I have a Husky DOM 1-11-2005...it's good for another year, right? [life span is 6 years?] :scratcheshead: I just might store the Regent for another year and use the Husky.

KirasMommy

Senior Community Member
Per Britax, you cannot have the buckle in the belt path. That's why my Regent is currently for sale. The buckle stalk in the Windstar is rigid and cannot be twisted. I got a decent install (no movement) with the short belt path, but the buckle was in the belt path like the picture you posted. I called Britax about it and they said no.

Glad you were able to twist the buckle stalk. As long as the seat has no more than 1" of movement side to side or front to back at the belt path, then your installation is good.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Back from the garage...all sweaty from wrestling with the Regent.

Gave the buckle stalk two twists and now only the belt is hugging the car seat. But the seat isn't as snug as hubby had it.

Another question: I have a Husky DOM 1-11-2005...it's good for another year, right? [life span is 6 years?] :scratcheshead: I just might store the Regent for another year and use the Husky.

Yeah, that short belt path is evil. One trick that I use is to not even get on the seat but to stand in front of it and use my knees to push against the front of it as I pull the belt tight.

Britax seats are good for 6 years, so yes, the Husky is good for 1 more year.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC