Bubblebum for 6 yr old?

lrh

Is it safe to put a 6 yr old who weighs about 47 lbs and is about 47 inches tall in a Bubblebum, or should she only be in a HBB. She is mature and knows how to sit properly without moving around during a trip.

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Is it safe? Yes. As long as she has adequate head support (a vehicle head rest) and can sit properly. Is it ideal for every day? No, I would prefer to see her in a HBB for everyday use unless this is a tight 3-across situation or something. But for travel and backup, etc, totally fine.

lrh

The reason I am considering a Bubblebum is because I will need to fit 3 kids in my Honda Civic. I especially find that the armrests on most boosters get in the way of buckling when the fit is tight. Any suggestions for a very narrow HBB?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Generally in a tight three across we'd actually recommend a harness, not a booster. That way you install the seat once, and then deal with the daily buckling at the front of the seat several times a day.

A BubbleBum, while narrow and would most likely fit, would be a pain for daily use. The belt needs to be threaded through the guides, at least on the buckle side, and if there isn't much room that may not be easy.

What seat is she normally in?

Wendy

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
The reason I am considering a Bubblebum is because I will need to fit 3 kids in my Honda Civic. I especially find that the armrests on most boosters get in the way of buckling when the fit is tight. Any suggestions for a very narrow HBB?

How old are the other kids and what are they riding in? That would be helpful to know too.

lrh

My 6 yo has been riding in a booster for over a year. She is currently in the Evenflo big kid booster. I don't think she would be too excited to go back into a harnessed seat, and she likes wearing dresses, which makes harnessing a bit harder than buckling. Also, we are already replacing our convertible seat for our 2.5 yo, and possibly our infant seat for our newborn, so cost is an issue.

The other kids are:

2.5 yo - about 27 lbs and short (it's been a few months since she was last measured). She's currently in Britax Roundabout, but we are replacing it since it's getting old and it's also bulky. Considering a Radian or a Cosco Scenera since it seems those are the narrowest. I'd like to leave her RF for now.

Newborn (not born yet - I'm due in 6 wks) - We have snugride 22. If necessary, we'd replace with a Keyfit 30 or newer more narrow snugride (I think 30).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC