britax husky covers?

egc523

hey! my name's Elizabeth and i'm mother to Gabrielle, 12 months. she's been using an evenflo titan carseat. but i know i need another one since my mother has been keeping her on the days i work on, and it'd be easier to just buy another carseat, so i bought a britax husky, i'm just waiting for it to arrive. and i'm going to keep it in my car, and give my mother to evenflo titan to put in her car, but i was just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere i can get a britax husky cover or a pattern to make one for it?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm a new CPSTech, awaiting my official ID#

Hi Elizabeth ... I'm curious where you bought the Husky & what is the Date of Manufacturer :confused: They've been discontinued somewhat recently, but so far as we could all tell, no retailers had any stock left.... Also, it might expire before your child gets the full benefit of such a seat -- what is her weight & height :confused:
  • 12 months & (not or) 20 pounds is the bare minimum for turning a child forward facing -- American Academy of Pediatrics & National Highway Traffic Safety Administration urge parents to keep their toddlers rear facing until the MAXIMUM limits of the seat for optimum safety ... since car crashes are the leading cause of death for kids, surpassing all illnesses combined, all kids deserve more than the minimum & convertible carseats now rear face until 30-35#
  • Almost 50% of crashes are to the front of the vehicle & only about 2% to the rear (the rest spread out on the sides/corners) -- this combined with a larger head size in comparison to the body & underdeveloped spinal ligaments necessitates extended rear facing....
  • In Scandinavia kids rear face until about 50# (3-5 years of age) & their rate of severe/fatal injuries for kids is drastically less than ours ... there has never been a single recorded case of leg/foot injury from extended rear facing, but many neck/spine injuries from forward facing too soon (Regardless, I'd rather have a broken ankle than become paralyzed)
Also, it is not recommended that you make your own carseat cover: carseat covers are required to be flame-repellant.... Is the Husky cover damaged? Is it a used carseat? Does it pass the Used Seat Checklist :confused: If your child is over 35# & the Husky is new (or passes the Used Seat Checklist) then you can get a new Regent cover from Britax

Last edited:

egc523

she's going to stay in her convertible carseat for a few more months, probably til she is 18 months. even tho she is 25 pounds and i'm not sure about her height... sorry, we go to the doc next week, but she is pretty tall for her age. alot of people think she's 18 months. but i just want a cute cover for her husky, so i can get it ready for her, and i'll keep switching the seat from car to car til then...

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ah, OK, great to hear you still have a convertible to use :)

Do you know if the eBay seller is a CPSTech or Retailer, though :confused: I personaly would not trust a carseat from a complete stranger (that's no different than puting your child's life in their care), even if it appears to be NIB :eek:

egc523

*frowns* i heard britax is the safest and best rated and i'm a single teenage mother trying to go to school and work, and it's all i could afford. i wish i could afford to go buy one from a local store. i think i got a really good deal and they had a 100 % feedback rating.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Well ... Britax is certainly an innovator in child passenger safety :) But, the "best" carseat is one that:
  • fits the child
  • fits the vehicle
  • will be used correctly every time
  • & fits the budget
At only 12 months, I would have urged you to try a Cosco Scenera as a spare seat -- it's only $40, easy to use, lightweight & has an excellent rear facing weight limit -- so that you could save a little longer for a Britax Regent bought directly from a retailer :eek: The Husky will expire in 2010 when your child is only 5 yrs old, but she'd still fit that size seat for another 3 years.... Maybe you can now sell the Husky on eBay yourself :confused: Not ideal for the person who gets it from you, but I can definitely relate to being a young single mom! (((((HUGS)))))

egc523

yeah, i was considering trying to sell it for a lil more than i paid and paying maybe a roundabout. i don't like the evenflo titan... that's why i'm putting it in my mothers car when i find something else!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I bought my daughter's first seat off of ebay. A britax advantage. It was brand new in the box, less than six months past manufacture date, all manual, paperwork, etc. was in it. I used it with confidence until it was in an accident (it did great, we were rearended at about 25 mph, she was asleep RFing in it). Then off it went to the insurance company to be surrendered.

I'd have a CPS tech inspect it, especially as you have months before you're going to need it, make sure it's ok. Being a 2004 model you only have four more years to use it, keep in mind, and it's unlikely your daughter will have outgrown it by then.

Good for you for doing your research and buying the best you can. A lot of mothers, teen or not, simply buy what maybe a friend says is good, or what consumer reports says is best and don't do a whole lot of research on the subject. My well educated 30 something neighbor, mom to three, didn't know that there were seats that harnessed past 40 pounds, or that harnesses were so much safer.

Wendy

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Your DD is lucky to have a mama so concerned about finding the safest possible seat

Evenflo is tricky! I was very confused at my 1st carseat inspection event -- the Triumph had me all kinds of kerbobbled, LOL :p

I hope you're able to re-sell the Husky if that's what you feel is best ... but, I wouldn't recommend the Roundabout if you're tight on cash: the Scenera isn't quite as comfortably padded, but it passes the same Federal Safety Standards & is easy to use :) It has the highest RF weight limit of 35# & a taller shell/frame than the Evenflo so it will fit kiddo longer!

Or, if you do have enough $ now then I'd suggest the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe -- Fisher Price teamed up with Britax to make this & it's modeled after the Marathon ... it has a 33# RF weight limit with a 55# FF weight limit with higher harness slots than the Roundabout (to last kiddo till she's mature enough for a booster) & comfortable padding ;)

Last edited:

egc523

well, i'm really trying. i'm glad i found the website. i had a friend who was also a teenage mother who kept her daughter in an infant seat til she was 18 months and wayy past the weight limit, but she would buckle just the carrier in without a base foward facing. i prayed for the poor baby everyday. and told her mother how stupid she was.
but anyways, your daughter is definately very adorable Wendy!
thanks for all the advice. i'll do some thinking on it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Oh, that is sad. I'm glad you at least said something to her. So many people out there just don't realize. 99.9% of the time it won't matter, but that 0.01% of the time it does there may not be a second chance. Not good enough for me.

Wendy

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
You can look for a local CPSTech at http://www.seatcheck.org

Also, I didn't mean to scare/worry you -- I'm a bit overtired having stayed up till 3AM all week working on college assignments & probably losing my tact :eek: It really sound slike you're doing a GREAT job!

LuvBug

I think you made a great start on looking into keeping her RFing longer, looking into the safer seats, and coming here for advice. I too am a single teen mom (well I had my DS when I was a teen, I have recently passed that milestone lol!) in school and in between jobs(use to have a home business and am now looking for a retail job) and know how hard it can be. I got DS's infant seats as gifts and then scraped for months to get his britax marathon after researching online and finding this site. He ended up being long in the torso so when I saw a husky on closeout in january at an online retailer, I sold everything I could part with(including his marathon) to get the husky. He probably had a max of a year left in the marathon, but it was too good of a deal to pass up.
I would say for safety, money, and time wise to try and sell the husky on ebay and get a scenera. Use it until she only has 1" of shell above her head or hits 35lbs, and in the meantime save up to possibly get a britax regent(the new husky) for when she is big enough to FF. I wouldnt recommend putting a child under 30lbs and 36" in a husky/regent because they are such a large seat, but they will last her for a very long time.
Good luck with everything.

skaterbabs

egc523 said:
*frowns* i heard britax is the safest and best rated and i'm a single teenage mother trying to go to school and work, and it's all i could afford. i wish i could afford to go buy one from a local store. i think i got a really good deal and they had a 100 % feedback rating.

Hmmm....Maybe you and I could work something out. I need a Husky/Regent for my 8 yo. Email me at dcbsr at comcast.net with "Husky" in the subject line.

U

Unregistered

egc523 said:
i was just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere i can get a britax husky cover or a pattern to make one for it?

Also wanted to mention that you should not 'make' or use custom made covers since they are not tested with the seat!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC