Britax FR XT or PW SG for low tone child?

northernmommy

I'm ordering DD1 her new seat tomorrow. She currently rides in a Monterey, but it's not supportive enough for her. She has mild low tone and little trunk strength, caused by an as yet undiagnosed muscular condition. She tires easily, and therefor doesn't stay in position well at all in the Monterey.

I was all set to order her a Frontier XT, but I HATED our regular Frontier with a passion :eek: so am having trouble committing. A friend has her (typically developed) DD in a PW SG and is quite happy with it. She says it's quite supportive, and hugs her DD well. I'm in an isolated area, so trying one beforehand isn't an option. I've looked into a vest a bit, and it seems like I'd have trouble getting a script for one when she still fits the standard seats available. Is there any chance we could get away with a PW instead of the full on harness of the FRXT?

DD is 7 yrs old, 48" tall, 50 lbs, 17" torso. She's really slightly built, with narrow shoulders. At this point, we don't know if her condition will worsen over time, or if it's going to respond well to physio etc.

ETA: The seat will be going in a 2004 Chev Venture. I plan to trade/sell the van off for a pick up in the next few months though, if that makes a difference.

ADS

April

Is there a reason that a Nautilus is not an option? I wouldn't think a PWSG would be enough support for your DD. I certaintl don't find it more supportive than the Monterey. So if its only between the PW and the FN, I would choose the Frontier.
Posted via Mobile Device

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, while it may be closer to the body by a bit than the Monterey, I don't think the PWSG would provide adequate support for low tone. If she has low tone enough to have problems in the Monterey, I'd say she needs a harness.

northernmommy

sigh...that's kinda what I figured :( Off to order the Frontier...

Oh, DD2 has a GN, but DD1 says she feels "squished" at the shoulders in it, and it does look like she's cramped.

April

I think you're making the right choice Sara. What about the original FN did you loathe so much?
Posted via Mobile Device

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC