Britax Chaperone Question

dingohate

Have they changed the 80/20 rule? I thought I read somewhere that there is now a line on the newer seats that shows how much of the base is required to be on the seat vs hanging over. I also remember hearing that the line is at less than 80%... not sure if this is a US/Canada thing, or if it was just a rumor that it was going to happen. Can anyone fill me in? An expectant mom friend of mine was asking about the seat and I wasn't sure what to tell her :)

ADS

canadiangie

I haven't either, but I don't see that many Chaperones. Maybe I will start seeing more with the stroller/seat combo promo they have going right now. Anyway, a line showing whatever percentage is needed on the vehicle seat may actually work against sales. With the Chap base you really need to work it into the vehicle seat to achieve 80% in lots of vehicles. Parents don't realize you can't just sit the base on the vehicle seat and eyeball it. Even if they do test-install it very few know to work the base in, rather they jump on top of the base pushing it down, and in some cases work it even further away from the bite. A line on the base could potentially make a lot of parents think the Chap wont work.

That being said, the Britax rep has told me a few times now that the seat passes fine with less than 80%. Maybe they have finally decided to revise the manual? Sure would be nice. It's a nice seat. :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'd just tell her to try it in her car. I've seen it fit in most vehicles provided you push the base in to the vehicle seat back - stand behind and use your knees to push the base in or "work it in" as Angie said.

I don't think that the seats in Canada right now have the line on the base - well, I can tell you the display model we have at work doesn't have that line. I heard they also changed the ARB on the base a little bit too to make the base slightly shorter, so it could just be that we don't have those seats here yet?

mam521

The newer bases are "cut in" at the back end (seat edge). Its somewhat of a subtle change, but I think pretty much any of the bases from late 2010 were that way. I wouldn't have noticed too much had the salesperson at Baby Sam pointed it out after mentioning I had a Chap.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC