Booster seat??

hjal05

I'm needing help with a booster seat selection. It will be for my oldest who will be 5 in Nov. This seat will only be used maybe once a month and for very short trips. She is 44 inches and 39lbs. It will be used when my parents have her for an overnight visit once a month to go to church in. I bought an Avenue 2 years ago but she has pretty much came to the weight limit on it and my youngest is now using it at my parents. I'm not sure which booster will suit her best or the weight limits on them. Looking for recommendations. I'm not in a real big hurry to purchase it. She won't be staying again for at least 3 weeks. I would prefer that it installs with latch.

ADS

Jan06twinmom

For an occasion use booster, I would recommend the Graco Turbobooster. It has a 30lb limit for using it as a high back booster. Since you have at least a few weeks to purchase it, you can see if it goes on sale. I've seen it for $35-40 at Target every so often.

The turbobooster is not latchable, but I don't think that is a big deal. The purpose of a latch for a booster seat is so that it does not become a projectile in an accident. If you don't have a latchable booster, you should use the seatbelt to secure the booster seat when it is unoccupied. If your parents will be removing the seat and only using it on those few occasions when you DD is with her, it would actually be easier for them to not deal with latch.

Melanie

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hey, nice to see you here. :)

Do you have a budget? Are you looking to spend a little more on something that you'll eventually use full-time, or do you just want to get something to train in and then get something else later?

Besides the TurboBooster, the Recaro Vivo usually fits younger kids well, but also doesn't LATCH.

The Clek Oobr and the Britax Parkway SG-L both use LATCH and also tend to fit many smaller kids well in most cars, but they are more on the expensive side, and the Parkway's minimum weight is 40 lbs. (Is that her clothed or naked weight? If that's the naked weight, she probably meets it clothed.) The Sunshine Kids Monterey sometimes fits small ones well, and sometimes doesn't- it tends to fit stocky small ones better than skinny kids.

Hopefully someone with a kid with similar stats will come along soon, and be able to give you a couple more recommendations. :)

finn

Ds has similar stats to your dd, he has a turbo booster & a sunshine kids Monterey, both of which fit him really well.

He likes the Monterey more, he says it's comfier & softer & I think it has more leg support. I love it because it doesn't fall apart every time i pick it up :) & it is latch-able (we don't have latch). I find threading & unthreading the seatbelt a pain, there is a bit if a knack to getting it out, but other than that it is great.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

turtlemama

For a latchable booster, my choice would be the Cybex Solutions X-fix. It has LATCH and fits small children pretty well. My 2 year old who is 30 lbs and 36 inches fit in it surprisingly well (just tested fit, didn't drive.) I'm not sure if they are still on sale, but they went down to $70 online if I remember right. I got mine for $99 from Regal Lager (sp?)
I'm contemplating putting my 4 year old in it when he turns 5 and reaches 40 lbs since he was too short for the Parkway SG I wanted for him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC