Question Booster seat recommendations

U

Unregistered

Hi all!
Realized today while putting DS into his car seat that it's time to move him up to a booster (his head is just about over the top of the seat). He's 4 y.o., 41", and 34-35 lbs (at last check). I know his size means he'll need a harness-to-booster seat. Right now he's in a Britax Boulevard. I've considered a Frontier, and I have a friend who is happy with her Recaro, but I'm weighing all my options

Also, I'm wondering if there are any after-market products that are safe for kids of this age to use with a booster...? We've always been very strict about not using them, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance! :)
Jennifer

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi Jennifer. He's actually outgrown the Blvd when the tops of his ears are over the top of the seat, or when his shoulders are over the top harness setting, or when he reaches the top weight limit for forward-facing. So, depending on those criteria, he may still fit in his seat.

Seats to look at include the Frontier and the ProSport, and also the Graco Nautilus or Argos, and the Evenflo Maestro or SecureKid. They're in all price ranges with a variety of different features. You'll want one that installs easily with 1" or less of movement at the beltpath and features you can use easily. I've got a list of features here: http://www.carseatsite.com/recommended_car_seats.htm.

U

Unregistered

Hi Heather,
Thanks for the info! It's hard to tell where exactly his shoulders are hitting...It looks like the upper slots for the shoulder straps on the Boulevard are somewhat behind the headrest, which makes the straps look like they're a bit below his shoulders (which I know is incorrect fitting). Maybe I don't have the headrest up enough, but I've tried to raise it and it just clicks and goes nowhere...which leads me to believe it's as elevated as it will go. Other than that, the top of his head meets the top of the seat. That along with where the shoulder straps are were the criteria I used to think it might be time to move him into a booster seat...with that information, what are your thoughts?

I was initially leaning toward the Frontier 85 SICT, but I'm the research queen, so I had to do my due diligence. ;)

Side note: I think you offered me advice when my husband and I were trying to decide on DS's convertible car seat (which led us to the Boulevard). As a result of your help, we also found a free car seat check at a nearby car dealer which gave us invaluable advice and information. It's all made me a bit of a car seat safety nut, and I make sure to pass along the info to anyone willing to listen to me. Thank you for your help then and now, and for all you do to help ensure the safety of the children whose lives you touch. :)

- Jennifer

U

Unregistered

Phineasmama,

We'd be putting it into a 2006 Toyota Avalon. Once we switch DS to the booster, DD will be taking over his Britax Boulevard. Both seats will be in the outboard positions.

- Jennifer :)

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Wow, thanks! I never hear back from folks later on, so that made me smile :). Glad to hear you're passing along the word!

vangelder03

Hi Heather,
Thanks for the info! It's hard to tell where exactly his shoulders are hitting...It looks like the upper slots for the shoulder straps on the Boulevard are somewhat behind the headrest, which makes the straps look like they're a bit below his shoulders (which I know is incorrect fitting). Maybe I don't have the headrest up enough, but I've tried to raise it and it just clicks and goes nowhere...which leads me to believe it's as elevated as it will go. Other than that, the top of his head meets the top of the seat. That along with where the shoulder straps are were the criteria I used to think it might be time to move him into a booster seat...with that information, what are your thoughts?

I was initially leaning toward the Frontier 85 SICT, but I'm the research queen, so I had to do my due diligence. ;)

Side note: I think you offered me advice when my husband and I were trying to decide on DS's convertible car seat (which led us to the Boulevard). As a result of your help, we also found a free car seat check at a nearby car dealer which gave us invaluable advice and information. It's all made me a bit of a car seat safety nut, and I make sure to pass along the info to anyone willing to listen to me. Thank you for your help then and now, and for all you do to help ensure the safety of the children whose lives you touch. :)

- Jennifer
pull the cover off the seat and take a look at the metal thing while you art twisting it to go up and see if the metal things catch and move up my britax
was broken and out of warranty and they sent me a free replacement one

U

Unregistered

Thanks everyone! I've decided to go with a Recaro, but I still need to choose between the ProSport and ProBooster (see my new thread topic, "Recaro ProSport or ProBooster"). Thoughts?

Vangelder03, thank you for the suggestion! We're planning to use the Blvd w/ DD when we transfer DS to the booster, so I will definitely look into that! :)

Thanks again! :)
Jennifer

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
At his size I would keep him harnessed, so if you are looking at the Recaros, Get the Prosport, not the probooster.

DD outgrew her BV65 last year before turning 4y. She got a frontier. The great thing about the frontier is that you can use harness or booster mode for 9y! It will expire when our newbie is 7.5y (our newbie is due August 2012).

aept

vangelder03 said:
pull the cover off the seat and take a look at the metal thing while you art twisting it to go up and see if the metal things catch and move up my britax
was broken and out of warranty and they sent me a free replacement one

Ooh, our harness height adjuster thing is totally broken. It used to work sometimes, but now I have to manually twist the metal screw thing in the center of the back of the seat itself to get the height to change. It's not too bad to do when installed rearfacing.
Our blvd expires in december of this year, though. I kinda doubt they'd replace my 5 and a half year old seat at this point! It doesn't seem to be a safety issue, just an inconvenience issue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC