Booster question

Just a quick question. I'm newly certified as a tech, and I'm currently working at a daycare centre.
The daycare uses 10 or 12-passenger vans to transport the school-aged kids to and from school. Their policy currently states that all children under 50lbs need to ride in a booster - which, while it could use some updating, is probably more than most kids ride in at home.
ANYWAY.
My issue is that these vans have no headrests at all, and they are using LBBs. They currently are kind of just going "Yeah..." to my suggestions for buying new HBBs (to replace the 3 expired, and 6 expiring in Dec).

They are currently using the LBB portion of the Graco Turboboosters, and a Cosco LBB model. Is there anything in the manuals of these seats that state that they MUST be used in a vehicle with headrests? (Meaning - can I use the 'proper use' law to force them to buy HBBs?)

(I apologize if this is rambling or confusing, multi-tasking isn't my specialty)

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The backless boosters all require head support, and lap/shoulder belts.

The Dorel brand of highbacks, and Diono Montereys, require in-vehicle head support.

High back Turbos do not, and generally provide very good belt fit in most vehicles with most kids, and are a really good bet. Except for the tall kids. What age range are you transporting?

Are YOU the driver? I'm not familiar with Manitoba law about proper use, obligation on the driver, etc. etc. I'm sure someone will come along soon and chime in.

I am not the driver. I'm working in the office, and just started a few weeks ago. The children in the boosters are all probably 5 - 6 years old. The daycare doesn't seem to be too concerned that some of the seats expired over 3 years ago - they're going to replace the seats, but aren't in a huge rush like they should be.
I'm doing what I can to promote better standards, but i also don't want to come across as a know-it-all.
Manitoba is getting booster laws soon, so hopefully that complicates things to the point where the daycare stops transporting kids.

I know the requirements for a LBB vs. a HBB and have shared these with the director, but the daycare needs something more concrete than just "suggestion" by me :(

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Do you have any of the manuals? It's right in there. Failing that you could ask Graco to email you one, or I could scan the appropriate page and send it to you. You could approach it as "my friend just went through this with her older car, carpool kids, and no headrests. We were AMAZED at what we learned when we asked for help from some experts...blah blah blah."

LittlePeanut

Are seat backs low? Meaning, do the kids being transported have back support upto at least their ears? If so, I don't see a need to enforce HBB if they are resisting. If there is no back support, then whiplash or worse could result in a collision and HBB would be definitely needed.

mam521

Hmmm....another concern...do ANY of the TB's have the screws in the armrests? If not, they are useless in addition to no headrest support and possibly being expired....

I never checked for the screws - Ill admit that I'm the least familiar with boosters, besides the basic requirements/suggestions. I forgot about the screws until now! I'll see if I can get into the vans again to check.
The seat backs aren't low per say, but the top hit just above my shoulders when I was sitting there - I'm 5'7", unsure of my torso height.

I'll definitely bring up the screws and legal issue of going against the manual. Hopefully they go and buy the Cosco HBBs that are on sale right now.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Remember that Cosco HBBs will require vehicle support to the level of the ears. (Unless you're talking about their combination seat that is NAMED the High Back Booster, in which case, run, run far away... Super low top slots and abysmal belt fit...)

LittlePeanut

I don't think the Cosco seats will work for your situation either. As KQ stated, they require headrest support to the ears, if they have that there may not be a need to use a HBB anyhow. A HBB will offer a better shoulder belt fit and some side impact protection but if the head support is lacking, you'll need to buy a non-Dorel HBB.

I think we have the HBB version of the TB on sale right now as well. Our area has HORRID seat selection!
Thanks - for some reason, my brain wasn't quite wrapping around the dorel=Cosco thing last night.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC