BCTSF is recommending LBBs for 4 year olds...

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
BCTSF just confirmed with me that transporting 4 year olds in LBBs is "just as safe as highback boosters" and that there's no problem with transporting 6 kids this age in LBBs for fieldtrips, as long as they're 40lbs. Did I misread the studies I've read on HBBs providing additional support, have my years of experience failed me..? Am I missing something?

We got a notice from BCTSF recommending LBBs for school aged kids today, for our first fieldtrip of the year. Our school cut-off is Dec 31, so our K kids are 4/5 years old. I was upset that this recommendation was made for 4 year olds, so I called BCTSF and they confirmed that LBBs for 4 year olds are a good option as long as they're 40lbs.

Did I miss the memo, or is *the* agency "running things" here in BC really that out to lunch? Not to mention that the lady on the phone made no attempts to convince me that these kids should be harnessed anywhere beyond the 40lb mark... She (Janie, who I've met and worked a check with once years ago) told me that she'd be perfectly comfortable transporting 6 kids aged 4 years old in LBBs in a van.

Discussion? How am I going to do damage control at the school, now that everyone thinks that their 4 and 5 year olds should be in LBBs due to convenience?

-Nicole.

ADS

canadiangie

And you're gonna have a really hard time as of today since the backless TB scored "better" than the highback equivalent. :rolleyes: (you know, the new booster findings). Just think how many parents will head out to the old minivan tonight and remove the upper portion of their kiddo's TB... :(

Anyway, I'm no help. I'm so *done* these days with the politics of car seats... I'm not sure I'd have the stamina to fight the fight you're going to very obviously have on your hands.

bubbaray

Did I miss the memo, or is *the* agency "running things" here in BC really that out to lunch? Not to mention that the lady on the phone made no attempts to convince me that these kids should be harnessed anywhere beyond the 40lb mark... She (Janie, who I've met and worked a check with once years ago) told me that she'd be perfectly comfortable transporting 6 kids aged 4 years old in LBBs in a van.

Are we talking about the BCAA Traffic Safety Foundation? I have had less than *super* results with their techs. Marg, however, is wonderful (but away currently).

Does your school district use buses for field trips? Can you pitch that idea? What about at the PTA??? I might frame it as "harnessed kids are easier to contain" for the driver, LOL.

Also, there aren't many regular vehicles that will have lap/shoulder belts for 6 backseat passengers. Odys with the +1 seat and Sienna 8s are the only ones that come to mind (and I'm not 100% sure that a booster of any sort is legal in the Ody +1 seat, I know other child restraints aren't legal in that seat in my Ody).

ETA: Just thinking about six 4-5 year olds in my van. Shudder....

desiree_leigh

I just filled out the form for volunteer drivers for my daughter's school. I said I can transport 5 children, but then went on to say I have 2 harnessed seats that can transport 65lb or lighter children (my DD in her RN and 1 other child in the Frontier) and then that I have a lapbelt position in the back with a tether that can ONLY hold a harnessed child (who needs to bring his/her own seat) and then I can transport 2 booster aged children (though really, not 100% sure I can fit all that in my 3rd row, guess it would depend on what seat goes in that position, plus I'd need to ensure the child sitting on the psgr side doesn't unbuckle the carseat?) Anyway, I'm going to phrase it to the teacher when I speak to her that I CAN transport 5 but I'd PREFER 3 :p 3 harnessed kids will be a lot better for my blood pressure ;) I can't fathom, however, those kids showing up with little LBBs (or NBBs, whatever the correct term is) and expecting them, even with locked belts, to sit properly. I forsee many "this car isn't moving until you sit properly" type stops. Aigh....

QuassEE

BCAA Traffic Safety Foundation, yup. I also know Marg, and I've never had any problem with her or the information that she has provided. We do use school buses--once a year, because that's all we have the money for. We're a really small school, and the way that works out with government funding we really end up with NONE. Our funding comes from our families and fundraising. Because the government no longer covers playground equipment and we don't have a park in our neighbourhood, the majority of our financial efforts are geared towards replacing an aging playground right now.

Lots of 8 passenger vehicles can transport a full 6 kids in various ways. The Radian fits in the PlusOne in the Odyssey and my '08 doesn't have any restriction on using a CR there. What year do you have? A lot of large SUVs have 6 l/s belts now. Usually my problem with 8 passenger vehicles is finding enough tether anchors to harness seats, not l/s belts. I much preferred the seating in my 8 pass Sienna, but I like the comfort and features on my Odyssey. If I could combine the two, we'd have the ultimate minivan.

I'm going to agree to take a maximum of three kids, as I'm providing seats. God only knows what sort of crap will be supplied by other parents..Although I suspect that all of the parents will be driving their own kids for this first fieldtrip.. I guess we'll see.

I don't think there's anything I can do to argue against *the* agency.

-Nicole.

bubbaray

I have an '05 Ody and it specifically says in the manual and on the seat -- I've always assumed its b/c there is no TT on mine. Not sure if that is different in the '08. I know in the US they can use CRs in that seat, but of course TTs aren't mandatory there....

QuassEE

I guess they changed that in later years--not sure why. Darren might know. Top tethers doesn't explain it, since you can still install a rear-facing seat, booster, and a forward-facing harnessed seat can be tethered to the seatbelt in the row behind as an approved anchor position.. So I'm not quite sure why there would be a restriction. I thought previous model years said that you could use a seat as long as it was within the width of the PlusOne itself.

-Nicole.

bubbaray

OK, I can't find the reference in my manual and the seat is currently installed in my van. I know I spoke with someone at Honda Canada a few years about this (when I asked about the LATCH limit too, which Robert recently confirmed). It came up when Darren posted about installing a seat in the +1 in the US. Anyway, HC say no, can't install a seat there.

I've always wondered why "no" seats there -- I mean, why not a RFg seat, KWIM?

Anyway, there is noooooo way I'd cart around that many kiddos, even if it I did have a Suburban or Yukon XL. I'd need serious quantities of wine and I'm told that's bad form while driving.... JUST KIDDING, no flames, I do NOT D&D.

QuassEE

I wonder if you called Honda Canada now if they'd say the same thing? We use the PlusOne for my kids to climb over to get into the back row, but that's about it. I tried the Oto out in it, and couldn't even get the belt into the belt guides on my son. The Starriser fits in the PlusOne but was never available in Canada.

I just filled out the fieldtrip form and agreed to take up to 3 kids.

-Nicole.

mamoomorgan

when we went on a field trip last year I made the mistake of saying I could fit 6 kids... I got 5! Yikes. And only was young enough by law (under 9) to need a booster, well aside from my two and though I told the mom I would supply her booster she said she would provide one. Turned out to be an ancient Britax lbb (from Europe I think) and the darn kid would NOT sit properly. I had to remind her every five minutes to put the belt in front of her shoulder... and it was a 3 hour drive! And a very little 10yo I had in the car kept curling over and putting her head on the seat.
I was a nervous wreck!

NEVER AGAIN!
sorry for your troubles, and grrrr to all those who advocate for the least safe legal option

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC