BC exemptions for child restraint laws

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Is a taxi exempt from requiring children to be properly restrained in BC?

This http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bc... Act Regulations/26_58_11.xml#part_division36

would seem to indicate that it is (section 36.09 at the end). I would not expect a taxi driver to have to provide a restraint, but I would think it would be the driver's obligation to require a seat be used? Somehow physics doesn't apply to taxis?

Are there any provinces that DO require seats in a taxi?

ADS

tam_shops

It certainly was a few years ago, things have changed a couple times, but I've yet to hear that change.

The rational was that Taxi drivers have a class4 *professional* license and they are skilled in defensive driving and less likely to get into an accident. I had my class 4 until a few years ago, didn't bother to pay the extra to re-new and call baloney on the skill knowing some of my fellow van driving friends and how many times they smashed the van into the garage! LOL

I'd bet it's more about convenience and/or tourism.

tam

QuassEE

Professional drivers remain an exemption. The only exemption that changed with the new law was the non-parent driver exemption, as far as I know. The professional driver exemption is also why kids are not required to be in seats in limos and buses.

-N.

snowbird25ca

What is the process/how could the law be changed ?

I'm thinking it's unlikely to see this changed. The most effective thing to do is public education targeting caregivers and cab companies to encourage the use of seats in cabs and show that it can be done. I think until people see it being done, you'd have a hard time convincing even politicians that it wouldn't be a burden on parents to be forced to provide a seat. (In some cases, parents may not even own seats, so that also leaves the question as to who is responsible since ultimately the driver of a vehicle is responsible for those under a certain age.)

I can see lots of room for confusion and I think the only way it could be successfully done would be to require that cab companies have seats available. But even then - you run in to the issue of trying to adjust a seat you're unfamiliar with and who knows if it's installed right. And who knows how the cab would store it and transfer it between uses...

I think the onus has to rest on the parents - and that is probably the reason why there is no law because it would be a very hard thing to determine responsibility and logistics.

It always makes me happy when I see people using seats in a cab - on the flip side, I've used car seats in cabs the few times I've taken one with my kids, and the taxi driver is usually impatient, sighing, and in some cases starts the fare as soon as you arrive at the vehicle with a car seat. So they don't make it very easy for parents either... (I had one offer to install the seat for me once. I didn't take him up on it and then he proceeded to argue with me that the seat had to be installed with UAS and that I couldn't use the seatbelt....)

V

VanIsleMommy

I know there are some logistical issues with public transporation of kids and car seats... but it is something I would love to see changed. No matter how good a driver's skills are, it's going to do nothing safety wise if, say, the vehicle is rear ended while sitting at a red light in traffic. Happened to DH just yesterday in fact.. someone hydroplaned right into the back of his boss's truck while they were at a light. And my back is permanently injured from the exact same scenario 10 years ago.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC