Backless Booster Question

Diznyfanatic

My 65 pound, 52inch, 8 1/2 year old still needs a booster for the seatbelt to fit her properly in some vehicles. I wanted to know if anyone had any "affordable" options to suggest for a seat that is move "V" shaped so it's more easily buckled as well as being able to be secured in the seat via latch? Thanks!

ADS

jacqui276

Are you wanting to put it next to another seat, creating an issue with buckling?

I don't know of any "V" shaped, since you would be squishing your child's bum to fit in the seat sitting properly. There are some that are narrower than others than, perhaps making it easier to buckle up.

Clek and Diono boosters have the latch system. What's your price range in terms of "affordable"? The most inexpensive are probably the backless boosters that do not have the latch system (graco turbo booster, harmony youth booster, etc).

Based on your price range, and possibly vehicle, some of the techs can probably give you some suggestions that may work for you.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
And your child should ride in a booster in every car until the booster is outgrown. All kids should ride in one until as close to puberty as possible so as to help their skeleton gain time to reach adult strength, so the adult safety systems can work properly.

Wendy

Diznyfanatic

I guess I didn't describe that well.....I have seen some seats that seem to fit into newer seats better. DD's Graco is really wide and she has a hard time buckling the seatbelt in my mom's new car. The Harmony's seem shaped to better accommodate the car seats - does that make sense?? And as far as the latch goes - it just seems like it would make it less of a projectile when she's not in it. (I know just take it out or buckle it in - but I can't seem to remember to do that) As far as affordable....well considering that this will be her 8th seat as little as possible....but up to maybe $50ish??

Oh...and should she stay in a booster when she passes the 5 step test?

aept

I think the harmony Cruz and similarly-shaped harmony high backs are the only "v" shaped boosters out there.
It sounds like you are inventing the perfect booster in your mind, it just might not exist yet! Which of those features are the biggest priorities?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Brianna

She should stay in a booster until it's outgrown. What about a booster with armrests that lift up? I think one of the Evenflo ones does, but no LATCH.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The five step test is the minimum. It's like turning a child forward facing at 1, putting into a booster at four, then moving them out the minute they possibly can. Their bones need time to gain adult strength, so the adult seatbelt will work properly.

Here's the 10 year old dummy (obviously a European test) in nothing but the seatbelt.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yUl4dCK1GA"]Adult belt is not enough - YouTube[/ame]

And the 10 and six year old dummies.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntPksBGDgFI&feature=related"]maxi-cosi crash-test: adult belt is not enough - YouTube[/ame]

All of the dummies submarine out from under the belt. They don't have mature hip bones to hold the lap belt down. Their bones aren't adult strength. So you're looking at internal injuries from the belt riding up, and potentially spinal injuries from the body moving over the belt, or hip injuries from the legs impacting the front seats, etc.

We have an Audi A4, and my daughter found the Harmony LiteRider worked best for her to buckle it in. It's a very lightweight booster, so while it is a projectile, it's less of a concern than say her Turbo. Walmart.com lists its weight at 2.55 pounds. Amazon says the Turbo's shipping weight is 5.6 pounds. So the LiteRider in a 30 mph collision is 75 pounds of force.

Another option, instead of buckling it in, is to have her put it in the footwell every time she gets out. Then it'll be compartmentalized.

Wendy

Diznyfanatic

Probably a dumb question.....but how do you know when a booster is outgrown? I kept DD harnessed FOREVER it fel like - LOL!! and my 20 month old is still RFing so I try and stay on top of all this because I feel like their safety is my number 1 priority....but I really thought that once a child passed the 5 step test the backless booster was outgrown.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Nope. It's outgrown by weight at the weight limit. It's outgrown by height either when the tops of the ears go over any support from the car, or when the shoulder belt starts to go over the shoulder and down the arm, rather than sitting where it should on her shoulder.

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I wouldn't call it V-shaped, exactly, but the Diono boosters are narrower in back than in front, so it's easier to reach those hard-to-reach seatbelts. The backless version is called the Santa Fe, but I don't know how much it is. The Monterey (high-back) can be LATCHed. I assume the Santa Fe can be, too.

Kat_Momof3

at 52 inches, I'm betting your daughter needs a booster in MOST vehicles... most kids won't pass the 5-step test in most vehicles until they are 4'9" and about 80-100lbs (weight depends on their build)

This happens between ages 8-12, so most kids will be about 10 when they hit this.

for a booster for the seat you are describing I would go with the harmony literider or cruz, the cosco ambassador, or possibly the cosco/safety1st top side

That said, My daughter is that height and age and she does not begin to 5-step anywhere... AND she has very narrow shoulders, making backless boosters not easily fit her. Make sure the shoulderbelt is crossing the center of her collar bone and not too far to the edge of her shoulder, or she may need to stay in a high back booster.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Evenflo boosters will be (if they aren't already) retroactively limited to 110 pounds. Otherwise the Diono Santa Fe, Diono Monterey, Britax Parkway, Clek Olli and Ozzi, Recaro ProBooster, Combi Kobuk, Harmony Dreamtime Comfort, Harmony Cruz.

Wendy

kater-tot82

My dd is around that size and uses a Cruz and a LiteRider. Our VW Routan has contoured seats in the captains chairs and the Cruz fits perfectly in the contours. It isn't LATCH-able but it does have good leg support. I got it at Target for $20-ish.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC