Baby sleeping at night in car seat...

4boysmom

naking but the nap nanny also has some potential recall issues regarding babies dying in them so worth a googling.

ADS

noahsmom24

Ds slept in his car seat for about 2-3weeks when he was an infant, The only way he would sleep is if I would turn the washing machine on then place him in the laundry room so he could hear it and feel the Vibrations. But it wasn't over night, just for his naps. He slept with me in bed or in his crib his first two months of life. He hated Swings & We finally got him a glider, he was able to lay flat & it glided back and forth it was a life saver! Batteries were expensive but I could place him in, lay a thin blanet over the top so light wouldn't shine through & he's sleep ALL night! Once he hit around 2months he was fine for the most part. He also was fond of his Bounce, It was at a good angle and he could take naps in this sometimes as well.

I feel for her, When ds was in his car seat I was checking every 5minutes...It would be hard for me to let ds sleep all night in a car seat though.
Something that helps babies with Reflux and what we did was Place a few thick blankets under the top part of his crib bed. That way he was at an angle. I immediately knew we were going to have problems when the only way ds would sleep was either on me when he was born or in his little Bassinet was at an angle...Like this \ Not that sharp of an angle of course.

SavsMom

That looks very comfy!

http://napnanny.com/

I know nothing about this product, but it is supposed to mimic the incline of a carseat. I have not researched or thought about it from a safety perspective. She is desperate, so I am throwing it out there.

Also, keep in mind that the Amby Baby Hammock was just recalled because of a child death. This was a common recommendation for babies with her type of problems until the recall. I think there are other brands out there that are similar, and I suspect they carry similar risks.

cookie123

I wouldn't suggest sleeping in a car seat all night for a preemie. Actually, I wouldn't suggest leaving the infant in any kind of bouncy seat or swing,etc, until she's a little older. If she passed the car seat test, it's only 1 hour in the car seat. There's a risk of desaturations in a sitting position. I would elevate the head of the bed and use a danny sling.

If reflux is the problem, sitting in a car seat exacerbates the problem.

I saw this and thought to suggest it, but looking at it again, it is still kind of sitting. I'll look for a link to a danny sling. Has the baby had a swallow study or a milk scan?

http://napnanny.com/

http://www.supports4kids.com/patient_care/danny_sling_and_kerry_kuddler.htm
You can't really see the danny sling on here very well, but there it is. The crib can be elevated to 45 degrees.

Last edited:

ZephyrBlue

Due to severe diagnosed reflux, we resorted to the Nap Nanny for baby #4. It was the only way she could sleep. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if we needed it. Even at 5mos, she still sleeps in it at night. I was concerned about the recline angle of the infant bucket being wrong in the house and her head flopping forward and cutting off her airway. The Nap Nanny aleviates this concern because of the angle.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I was in BRU the other day and saw this and thought of this thread: Fisher-Price Newborn Rock and Play Sleeper

It seems basically designed for this situation. It rocks a bit if you push it (like a cradle does, but in the other direction-- back and forth like a swing, not side to side like a cradle swing), otherwise is very stable. Very upright (way more than most swings or bouncy seats-- about like a car seat.) Nice firm back, much like a car seat. Ventilation mesh on either side so if baby turns head to the side, airflow is ensured. 3 point hip straps so no danger of strangulation in loose straps. On a firm frame, nothing that could close over the baby's face.

Best part, it was only $40 (though list price says $50, in my store it was $40-- and a promotion right now for a free pack of dipes, too...) and folds flat for storage when not in use. :) I may need to get one if my next baby is a refluxer...

ETA: I just noticed this is what Jools linked. D'oh! ;) I hadn't seen it in person when I first posted on this thread. After seeing it in person, it's what I'd recommend.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
KQ, I'm so tempted to get one of those things! It says up to 25 lbs. or when baby can sit up or pull up on her own, and I bet that DD2 will be willing to sleep in the crib by then, since she'll be able to roll around and sleep however she chooses.

Hmmm ... how to talk DH into trying another thing for DD2 to possibly sleep in ... :rolleyes:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It really did look awesome. I showed it to my husband and he said, "If only they had made those when Bridget was born!" (Our second was our biggest refluxer. She slept on her tummy, because that was the only way she could sleep except in the car or being held upright-- she also had a big-ish tongue that, combined with her small chin, would block her airway when flat on her back, so between that and the reflux... Back sleeping didn't happen for her.)

daniele_ut

DS was a preemie with serious silent reflux for the first 5 months. We couldn't lay him flat at all or he'd scream constantly. We used what we had, which was the FP Kick and Play Bouncer, and he slept in it happily for those 5 months. I may have to look into the one Jools linked in the future, though since our bouncer didn't survive DD.

He hated his carseat and never slept in it if the car wasn't moving.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC