Question AWD or 4WD?

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Which is best for snow? Mud?

I know the answer, but then someone told me something else, and then, well, I let it bug me, for years.

ADS

ConnorsMommy

I don't know if this is the answer you are looking for or if its the right answer, but I know from personal experience that my Subaru Impreza Outback Sport with AWD was better in the snow that my husband's Nissan Pathfinder when in 4WD mode. I rarely slid in the snow when driving the Subaru, but slid more often when driving the Pathfinder. There was one winter a few years ago that it snowed every weekend for 7 weeks straight. In the neighborhood that I worked in, the roads were icy for 2 months straight with big icy potholes. During that time, my Subaru never skidded. One day I drove my husband's Pathfinder and slid several times, even in 4WD. I didn't drive it in mud, so can't answer for that.

luckyclov

I always thought AWD was better? But I don't know a lot, so that may be wrong.:p

Speaking of not knowing a lot- and a little OT - but why do 4WD vehicles tend to do poorly in crash ratings vs. the same vehicle in 2WD (pre-2011 testing, that is)?

Pixels

I don't remember the answer, but I do remember that you can't rely on what the manufacturers call their system. Many vehicles that say they are AWD are actually 4WD, and vice versa.

Okay, Google and Wikipedia jogged my memory. 4WD is best for extreme slip situations - mudding, or stuck in snow/on ice. AWD is for use on dry pavement. Wiki explains it pretty thoroughly.

FWIW, DH's father lives in Alabama. They own hunting land, accessible only by a long, unpaved, dirt (or mud) private road. Deep ruts, slippery as heck when it's muddy. FIL has a winch on the front of his truck, and he often has to find a tree and winch himself out when he gets stuck. He uses 4WD for the mud, as it's the better (though obviously not perfect) choice.

Carefulove

I like the fact that with a 4WD "I" can decide when I want to use it by pressing a button. I drive a Chevy Suburban and live in the northeast. This winter we were slammed with snow and my car did brilliant on the road, regardless of the conditions. Now, all those fancy AWD were skidding all over the place! :whistle:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, to now give a little more info. If we got a 4WD, it would be a jeep, tahoe, that short of thing. If we got AWD, it would be an Ody. I have to be able to get out of snow. I am sure some of you saw my video of me trying to leave my driveway.

geekKT

I agree with Pixels, depends on the model of car some too. DH is the expert and isn't home at the moment, but depending on the type of AWD system, some cars are not true "AWD" until they slip. (Haldex system) They deliver 95% of the power to the front wheels until they detect slipping, then it reevaluates.

ETA: I take too long to post, and I have no clue what the Ody's AWD is like. :) For mud, though, I would probably be thinking Jeep or that type of vehicle.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yeah. I was hoping that what I had heard about AWD was true, but looks like I do nee 4WD, for those 4 days a year.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbiJAgjep4s"]YouTube - driveway.ASF[/ame]

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We have done extremely nasty road conditions and I trust my AWD 100%.

We also have an Explorer and when it's in 4H, it's nowhere near as stable as my AWD. My mom put it in the ditch changing lanes on the freeway. In 4L it's great, but unless I want to drive 25 on the freeway and use half a tank of gas, I will take my AWD. I have not slipped once in it.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
How much snow do you get?

My old Chevy van was FWD, with 'traction assist' and that thing would push snow. It was awesome. Our street never got plowed and with one storm we had a good 2 feet and I backed out the driveway and drove off. I wouldn't discount the Ody. Maybe take a test drive to your house during a muddy day :whistle:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I did, but that's like, barely any snow :eek: so I was assuming you normally had more snow than that.

I would not hesitate to drive an AWD (or even FWD) with that amount of snow.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I did, but that's like, barely any snow :eek: so I was assuming you normally had more snow than that.

No, we really do not get much. But in my car, I will get stuck. It the truck, in 4L, it is easy. If AWD will do the same, I may be able to talk Gabe into one. We only have $8,500 to work with, so I won't be getting my H2. :(

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ody has AWD?

They're different technologies... AWD is generally asymmetrical versus symmetrical. So if you're driving around town, in a lot of rain, or smaller amounts of snow then AWD is great. Usually AWD is in smaller/lighter cars, therefore they're quite a bit better in most slippery conditions as it's easier to maintain control. Weight of the vehicle is a big factor.

If you're in more snow, or rougher conditions (off-road, etc) then, IMO, 4wd is preferable. For PNW driving, this doesn't mean you're commuting or driving in the snow 5-10 times a year. Those are AWD situations.

I've driven both, and it really comes down to type of driving and weight of the vehicle, for me.

-N.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
I've never had experience with AWD but with 4x4 I like that you could take it out in the spring, summer, and fall and save gas...but you always have that 4 wheel drive if you need it...I thought the jeep had great 4 wheel drive handling...i had a 98 grand cherokee

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC