At what age did you transition your child to a high back booster?

tblmom

We are debating whether or not to switch DS to a high back booster. He is currently in the Graco Nautilus, but the crotch strap is pretty much right at his crotch even when I scoot him as far back as he can go. He is also starting to complain about it hurting him. He will be 5 next month, but is smaller for his age, 38 pounds, 41-42".

His younger sister is actually about to outgrow her Britax Roundabout, so we were thinking about moving her into the Nautilus and getting him a new seat. The Graco Turbobooster with Safety Surround will be going on sale tomorrow in our area and we were thinking about moving him into that.

One of the big reasons is that he goes on field trips once a month on days where both DH and I work. All the kids carpool and the sitter would have to un-install and re-install his Nautilus twice that day. I would have my sitter be the carpool driver, but she also has my daughter and there is no room in her sedan. A lot of my sitters have had trouble installing the Nautilus because it's so bulky and heavy, so that makes me uneasy.

In terms of maturity, DS is actually really good in his car seat. Sits still even on long trips and when he's sleeping in the car.

ADS

Baylor

It depends if you think he will sit correctly. My son started at 4.5 and has been doing great. Never had an issue. I find if the seat is deep enough in the beginning it seems to encourage then to sit well.

Now he is 5.5 and rides in a booster all the time. He can even ride in a LBB correctly but that is rare and for emergencies.

MoonRocket

I'm curious about this as well. My DD is about the same sizewise as your Son (okay, maybe a little bigger- she towers over most of the kindergartners at her pre-school) but not quite 4.

We definitely will not transition yet- but I am thinking about putting a HBB on her birthday or Christmas list so we'll have one. (I am way too practical- but might as well harness the grandparents' generosity for good ;))

lpperry

I won't let my kids ride in a hbb until 6. I let my stepdaughter at 5 1/2, but that was another issue and I was just happy her mom had harnessed her until 5 1/2 instead of 3 or 4!

It is possible I would consider a booster for a 5 year old in a carpool situation rather than trust someone else to install a harnessed seat and buckle properly in a harnessed seat.

In your situation, it would depend if the sitter can install the seat correctly. I wouldn't worry about the extra hassle and would have her do it over boostering a 5 year old. If the sitter can't install the seat correctly, I would booster.

Keeks64

My DS is just turned 5, 36lbs & 42"

He can't go into any booster because he's not 40lbs (Canada) but once he is 40lbs I will begin to booster train him for my mom & Grandmas car. They will each have a high back turbo for their vehicles in emergency school pick up situations.

He is & will be harnessed in his FR CT until at least age 6, maybe 7 or 8. He literally has 4" of room or more to grow :O

I figure, the baby is 13m ... When he's 4 I will move him FF in the FR, so DS1 has 3 years left in the FR before he would *need* to move to a booster full time

cookie123

I think at 6 is my minimum. And they need some teaching and practice as to what's expected. Sitting in position, seat belt where it belongs.

My grandkids were in the Nautilus until 6.5 and 8, when they were both outgrown harnessed. They continued in them for quite awhile before moving to Montereys.

Matthew will be turning 6 in December and I doubt he'll be ready any time soon. He can't even stay seated at the table. I did try him one day and he did fair, but had me there correcting him!

YinzerMama

My oldest was 3 in my husband's car (which I don't reccomend but it wasn't uncommon then - outgrew 40 pound roundabout) and just-turned-5 in my car. He did OK behavior wise but I wished he could have been harnessed longer for sleeping. (At the time it seemed excessive to buy a second marathon... lol. )

My girls have ridden in boosters on occasion in my husband's car starting at almost 5 (the Gracos so rated down to 30 pounds). They are still harnessed in my car, I will probably get them boosters around 6 or so. They behave just fine when boostered but for sleep/comfort I prefer their frontiers

Last edited:

Phineasmama

Totally depends on the kid. DD1 *just* moved to a booster and she will be 7 this winter. My son is 4.5 and he can sit way better in a booster than she can, but since he is small for his age I feel better with having him harnessed.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I can't remember for sure, but I am thinking:

DN1-- around age 5.5?
DN2-- around age 6.5?
DN3-- around age 5.5?
DN4-- still harnessed, but has ridden in a HBB for brief trips.

amyd

Around 4.5 and 40lbs he started using one occasionally (with friends, second vehicle, etc). At 5 and a few months, he moved into one full time in all vehicles.

I just moved our oldest a month or so ago. She'll be 5 next month and is about 48# and 43". She sits in it perfectly and it's like a little bit if heaven to not have to reach back to the third row to belt her in!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC