Anyone considering a Sunshine Kids seat, read this FIRST!!

Debn31

So...now that I'm feeling a little less annoyed (still not happy but the shock has worn off I guess)....

I wanted to just state that I think I was a little bit hard on Russ from SKJP.
I wasn't really rude in my emails, but it was obvious in the ones that followed the first that I was really ticked off.

While he didn't exactly help my situation, upon reflection I realize that it's the company policy that's ridiculous.

He wasn't rude in any emails....but my situation was not fixed, and I guess it's true that when you're working with the public, it's the company's PR representative that gets the brunt of the anger when something goes wrong.

I know, I've worked with the public too. And, you sometimes get anger directed at you that's not really your fault (you know, the "I don't make the policies ma'am, I just work here" thing).

That said, I still won't be buying any SK products in the future (Which is too bad since I have tall fellas.... :( ) but just wanted to put it out there that Russ was just sort of the front line in all this mess and got the bulk of my frustration when it's really the company I am annoyed with.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I think an important thing to remember when dealing with any customer service department, is that you will get more flies with honey than you will with vinegar. Customer service of any company is staffed by people just like us. Now I'm not saying that the OP attacked SK's CS, but I can see from the tone of her posts that it is possible the OP was aggressive.

Respect and civility can go a long way with many customer service departments. Demands are far less likely to be met if percieved as hostile. Finally, not that I am making excuses for SK, but manufacturers are not insurance companies. Products often come with warranties, but the terms of the warranty are generally limited and spelled out for the consumer. They generally don't include shipping which is a real and substantial cost to any business. Providing good customer service doesn't equate with providing full replacements of products with all possble costs or monies back. That type of behavior equates with going out of business. However, making a good product to begin with helps reduce those costs. :twocents:

Unfortunately, I know from experience that being nice to Russ and his staff does not equal good service. If you would like an example of what I'm talking about, search for Radian Fiasco to see the emails Russ and I exchanged back and forth regarding my defective RN.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
So...now that I'm feeling a little less annoyed (still not happy but the shock has worn off I guess)....

I wanted to just state that I think I was a little bit hard on Russ from SKJP.
I wasn't really rude in my emails, but it was obvious in the ones that followed the first that I was really ticked off.

While he didn't exactly help my situation, upon reflection I realize that it's the company policy that's ridiculous.

He wasn't rude in any emails....but my situation was not fixed, and I guess it's true that when you're working with the public, it's the company's PR representative that gets the brunt of the anger when something goes wrong.

I know, I've worked with the public too. And, you sometimes get anger directed at you that's not really your fault (you know, the "I don't make the policies ma'am, I just work here" thing).

That said, I still won't be buying any SK products in the future (Which is too bad since I have tall fellas.... :( ) but just wanted to put it out there that Russ was just sort of the front line in all this mess and got the bulk of my frustration when it's really the company I am annoyed with.

Thing is, I had 3 different phone reps tell me that Russ is the owner of the company. So this is either true, and Russ COULD fix the problem if her wanted to, or the Reps lied to me, which IMO is the ultimate in bad CS.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Honestly, I could almost cry here...we paid $450 last July, not even a year ago.

I've heard that CT will return things up to a year after it was purchased with no questions asked. I'd try to return them . . . hopefully you still have your receipts.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I am probably going to get flamed for this, but...

First, I want to say that this stinks for you, and it's not fair, and it's not your fault, and I'm sorry.

But I also see SK's side-- people were searching out the short-strapped seats in order to buy them cheaply and "trade up" to the 65-pound seats. I know you didn't do that. But I don't think that their policies are out of line either, all things considered.

a_js

I do see their point. But, if someone has a receipt showing they paid full price and weren't trying to cheat it's not fair for the company to penalize them too.

Debn31

I've heard that CT will return things up to a year after it was purchased with no questions asked. I'd try to return them . . . hopefully you still have your receipts.

Well...I hope you're right! I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Wanted to get it done today, but also had two bbq's to attend this weekend (stayed a little too late both times, it's so hard to leave when you're having fun!), and get some washing done at other people's houses (Washing machine broke this week too....:rolleyes: except we have extended warranty and it's with Sears. Have yet to have had a problem with Sears, thank goodness. I'm sure someone has though! )

Anyways, we'll find out tomorrow night, I guess. Or Tuesday night. It's supposed to rain tomorrow night, I'll have to either figure out a way to get them in without them getting wet (a realllly big bag, I guess, maybe garbage bags...would be fitting, if you catch my drift!!! :whistle:)

I don't want to get my hopes up too much though, after the week I had. But, remaining hopeful all the same :)

Debn31

I do see their point. But, if someone has a receipt showing they paid full price and weren't trying to cheat it's not fair for the company to penalize them too.

Yes, exactly. And then I thought, the other thing is...how about people who spent the $99 and also didn't know??? I'm betting that for sure there are some who were not trying to cheat anything and just bought a car seat they heard was good and hey, it was on sale! How do you sort the people who knew and the people who didn't? You can't. And, it's really not anyone's fault that there was a short strap problem, certainly not the consumers, and yet we're the ones who are getting the short stick in all this.

As my 4.5 year old would say "It's not faaiirrrr". Nope, it's not. But that's the way it goes sometimes, I guess.

I've become much more educated though, on car seats and safety, so that's a real positive out of all this.

SKJP's policies and questionable ethics (IMO) still stink though. ;)

Debn31

Unfortunately, I know from experience that being nice to Russ and his staff does not equal good service. If you would like an example of what I'm talking about, search for Radian Fiasco to see the emails Russ and I exchanged back and forth regarding my defective RN.

Wow. Not to mention what you said about the three CS reps...
Well, isn't that interesting????? :rolleyes:

Sheds some new light on the situation.

Still glad I took the highroad in the end, but wow....is all I can manage to say.

I'm really sorry you had a bad experience too.
I've only read a small part of your Radian Fiasco stuff, and I'm floored.
At least mine wasn't a safety issue. I also would not have felt comfortable with a CRACKED seat!! What are they thinking over there?
If anything, your seat should have been replaced without question!
My goodness! There's no way I would have felt comfortable putting my kid in that seat either, *regardless* of the utterances of assurance he gave.

So I am guessing you too have sworn off SKJP (I know, why am I even asking? :p)

Thanks for letting me know, I've got some more reading (of your Radian Fiasco thread) to do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC