Any success with carseat protectors for leather seats?

skuba

Hi,
I have read some of the older posts here about seat protectors and how some might make the carseats less safe. I also have read reviews about some protectors causing damage to leather seats.

Has anyone here found success with any kind of protector for leather seats that don't make carseats not safe and will protect the leather seats well?

Thanks so much

ADS

featherhead

Thanks. I had read that one but it's 3 years old, I assumed there would be new products on the market. The blog post also wasn't very conclusive whether these protectors make the carseats less safe.

Regards

Your best bet is to first read your car seat manuals to see what each of them say about using something under the car seat. Each manufacturer has different rules about whether or not you can use something, and if so, what is acceptable.

skuba

Your best bet is to first read your car seat manuals to see what each of them say about using something under the car seat. Each manufacturer has different rules about whether or not you can use something, and if so, what is acceptable.

Manual is not helpful as Britax doesn't want anything used that they don't sell. I was hoping to get feedback from Techs and other experts here in regards to the safety of using protectors under the seats. Even if it's just a towel.

The use of non-BRITAX covers, inserts, toys,
accessories, or tightening devices is not approved by
BRITAX. Their use could cause this child seat not to
perform as intended in a crash.

AllieK

The blog post also wasn't very conclusive whether these protectors make the carseats less safe.

That blog post mentions that many of the protectors allow the car seat to be easily shaken loose. That definitely makes them less safe.

MelodyoftheForest

Manual is not helpful as Britax doesn't want anything used that they don't sell. I was hoping to get feedback from Techs and other experts here in regards to the safety of using protectors under the seats. Even if it's just a towel.

The reason Britax wants you to use their products is that they are actually tested with the seats to make sure they are not dangerous. So if you want a protector and you have a Britax seat, your only safe choice as far as I know is getting their protectors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BunniesMommy

The reason Britax wants you to use their products is that they are actually tested with the seats to make sure they are not dangerous. So if you want a protector and you have a Britax seat, your only safe choice as far as I know is getting their protectors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry to say, but this and your quote from the manual are your answer. Britax seat protector is the only option.

Although, if it gives you any hope, I have read countless posts on here that even though their may be a dent in the seat at first once a car seat is removed, lasting damage is rare to leather seats, they often fare better than fabric seats under car seats. We have had the car seat out of DH's expedition with leather for a couple months now. I will run out in a few and take a look and see how it looks now. We haven't been driving it for awhile, so I haven't thought to check. It is a 1997, so older leather, so even if it doesn't look great, a newer car would probably fare better.

aporthole

If you have Britax seats, the Britax seat protector is a great option. I own one (not currently using it though) but I have no hesitations using it with a Britax seat or other seats that permit protectors. It is very thin and flexible.

Kim T

We have leather seats and the Britax ones do a great job of protecting the leather and also catching crumbs / stopping dirty feet touching the seat when the kids climb up.

Because they are a rubbery material, they don't slip on the seat and the car seat doesn't move around on it. Britax state they are crash test approved etc with Britax car seats on their website, so i hope that they are ok!

We still get some indentation when removing the seats and protectors, but mainly to the back of the seat not the bottom and definitely not as bad as we used to.

2BunniesMommy

I forgot to come back after checking our leather seats. With no car seat for almost 3 months, there are still slight indentations but no tears. The indentations I noticed because I was looking for them, I don't think anyone else would notice. And this is on 19 year old seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC