Any safe headrest mirrors?

newbiema

Hello! I learned a few months ago that it is unsafe to loosely hang toys and other items from vehicle headrests because they might get dislodged during a crash. I had a Fisher Price velcro mirror that we used when my DS was younger, but I took that off. Seeing him from the front seat was never a problem in my old car because I had to push the passenger seat up so far, but I we can't really see him from the front seat anymore in my new car. Do you guys know whether there are any safe mirrors I could put on the back headrests so I can check on him periodically to make sure he is ok? TIA!!

ADS

steph_s

I'm not sure of any specific brands, but I have one that is super light weight that I found at the dollar store of all places! I just used the throw test.. I threw it at my ex dh (we were still together then) HARD and when it pegged him in the head with my throwing as hard as possible and he didn't say ouch I figured it was ok. Mine seriously only weighs a few ounces. It's not a real mirror material and is more like a baby play mirror, but it gives me and idea of what they are doing back there.

babygirlsmom1005

I'm not sure of any specific brands, but I have one that is super light weight that I found at the dollar store of all places! I just used the throw test.. I threw it at my ex dh (we were still together then) HARD and when it pegged him in the head with my throwing as hard as possible and he didn't say ouch I figured it was ok. Mine seriously only weighs a few ounces. It's not a real mirror material and is more like a baby play mirror, but it gives me and idea of what they are doing back there.

Sounds like a great excuse to throw something at DH LOL - stress relief and the throw test rolled into one :p

NannyMom

MomBoss wanted me to use a mirror for the baby. She bought the hard fisher price ones from BRU. I told her if she'd let me hit the baby in the head with it, I'd use it :whistle: She found a better one at Target, and I actually did hit myself and my 2 older charges with it, didn't hurt. I tried it out, but it obstructed my view (with 2 big carseats 3rd row, I could see even less with her headrest on).

brightredmtn

We have this one so Evan can watch the dvd player, lol. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2402035 It attaches securely and he's in a tethered seat so I'm not worried. I'd be more worried if his seat didn't tether b/c of the theoretical risk of hitting it, but I guess it's not glass so it wouldn't shatter or anything.

That's the same kind of mirror that in my accident, broke off, hit DS in the head and gave him a nice big lump.

Personally after the above incident I don't think I'd ever use a mirror again.

aja

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Leapfrog-Rhyming-Reflections-Floor-Mirror/dp/B000K93SQ4/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1262099515&sr=8-12"]Amazon.com: Leapfrog Rhyming Reflections Crib and Floor Mirror: Baby[/ame] this is what i used. it's flexible and soft - like a stuffed animal.

newbiema

Thanks for the ideas guys! I thought that all attached stuff was bad, but it sounds like as long as it is not heavy or sharp, I should be good. I love the "throw it at your DH" test... I will have to conduct that test after he does something to annoy me LOL

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Thanks for the ideas guys! I thought that all attached stuff was bad, but it sounds like as long as it is not heavy or sharp, I should be good. I love the "throw it at your DH" test... I will have to conduct that test after he does something to annoy me LOL
But the one that brightredmtn linked to isn't heavy or sharp, and it attaches firmly. It STILL came off and caused the only injury her son sustained in a high speed rear end crash rearfacing.

newbiema

But the one that brightredmtn linked to isn't heavy or sharp, and it attaches firmly. It STILL came off and caused the only injury her son sustained in a high speed rear end crash rearfacing.

Sooo... are there just no options then? My son tends to slump his head alot when he falls asleep in the carseat, so I just want to make sure he is ok and breathing well. I used to sit in the back with him when DH was the primary driver, but now that I am the primary driver of the "family" car, DH only sits back there when he is super fussy to try and calm him down. Is it possible that car manufacturers may make something that attaches more securely?

Maedze

Unless he has a special need you didn't mention, an 11 month old is not going to endanger his airway by slumping :) That's only a risk for little newborns who haven't yet grown bones :p

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

Far be it for me to disagree with Jools (whose feet I would kiss if I ever met her in person). As a tech I completely agree with what she said.

As a mother, that's the one I have. I don't have adjustable headrests in the back, so I'm doing the best I can. What I tell parents at checks is that as a tech I cannot recommend any of them. As a mother I would tell them to weigh the risks. Their baby could get a bump on the head (or worse if they have anything that takes batteries. Those I actively recommend against). I tell them to think about throwing it at their baby. If their baby would be happy then it's fine in the car. If their baby would get a bump then it's something that needs to be weighed. Is it important enough to risk a bump to the head? If it could hurt them then it really needs to be weighed.

If they have adjustable headrests, and loop it around the headrest, then attach it to the tether, it would likely be a serious collision in which it came off and struck their baby. More likely the baby would rebound into it. However, I mention both possibilities. Generally, though, if you're in a collision that just ripped off a mirror that was securely attached around the headrest and then to the tether point, you've got more issues than a 10 ounce mirror being in the car.

For me, as a parent, a bump on the head would be worth the relief that I can see her when I need to and know what's going on. As a tech, I recommend against after market products and anything heavier than something I'd throw at her head (that goes for toys, sippy cups, shades on the windows, pets and their carriers, books, the diaper bag, a DVD player, etc.).

So weigh it, see how you feel, know you're going against recommendations, and make your decision, and you may have something there that could injure your child. Do NOT get anything that sings and dances. That will hurt your baby.

Wendy

cryswilkins

:yeahthat:

As I parent I made the decision to use a mirror with Zoe when she was RF. Her seat was tethered, and the one that I got was so tight on the headrest that I was OK with it. This is the one that I have, and I think that it may be pretty similar the one posted above:

If your son is slumping in his seat, I think that there could be another issue. Is it possible that your seat is installed too upright? When Zoe was that age I knew that my install was too upright for her if she slumped forward when she slept. It was still within the acceptable range, just too upright for her.

newbiema

He doesn't have a specific special need, but he was a preemie and his muscle tone is closer to the lower range of normal, but not very abnormally low. I just worry a little.

Wendy, I really agree with your logic. When I was a new new mom, I never thought about things flying around in the backseat in the event of a crash. The FP mirror had batteries and played music and all of that, but as soon as I read about how that kid of stuff could detach and really injure a baby, I took it out. I still give DS dodad stuffie toys and the soft cloth books to play with in the backseat to keep him quiet and occupied (he is a screamer), so I guess getting a soft, flexible mirror that I can pretty securely attach to the head rest and tethers wouldn't really be that much of a problem. Honestly, thinking about it, if the only injury my son sustained during a high speed crash was a bump on the head from a little flimsy mirror, I would be pretty thrilled about that... my little daredevil usually sustains injuries worse than that just cruising and climbing around the furniture and playing with his toys at home... o, the joys of having a boy lol.

I guess I will just look around and see what I can find. If I find somethign that I feel comfortable with, then cool. If not, that is fine too, I can do without. I guess in the end it is all about comfort level.

newbiema

:yeahthat:

As I parent I made the decision to use a mirror with Zoe when she was RF. Her seat was tethered, and the one that I got was so tight on the headrest that I was OK with it. This is the one that I have, and I think that it may be pretty similar the one posted above:

If your son is slumping in his seat, I think that there could be another issue. Is it possible that your seat is installed too upright? When Zoe was that age I knew that my install was too upright for her if she slumped forward when she slept. It was still within the acceptable range, just too upright for her.

Yeah, you know, maybe I need to put a towel or two under the base to give it a little more recline. He doesn't always slump his head, but he does sometimes. We are sorta in a transtional stage right now (I keep transferring the one convertible we have between our cars), but once I get a second seat belt installed in the center of my car (right now, doing outboard LATCH), I will play with that.

JerseyGirl'sMama

I guess I will just look around and see what I can find. If I find somethign that I feel comfortable with, then cool. If not, that is fine too, I can do without. I guess in the end it is all about comfort level.

Honestly, if you can do without one, do just that. This coming from a tech mom who made the parental decision to have in her vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC