Any reason not to get the MA?

nhlbluesgirl

After going back on forth on several seats, I'm really leaning towards getting the MA for DD2. She's been hovering between the 50-60% for height, so I really think she is going to be short. I realize torso height is most important, but both DD1 and I have a short torso, so I think she'll follow (DD1 is tall but is all legs).

One of the reasons that I'm thinking of the MA is because it's "tried and true." I had considered getting the EFTA, but noticed that it can be difficult to adjust RF. BTW, how is the MA to adjust RF? I also like that the MA has a heigher weight limit.

Sorry, I'm kinda rambling (and thinking out loud). So, any reason not to get the MA?

ADS

arly1983

I think if you HAD to get a Britax convertable, sight unseen, the MA would be the one to get. It is generally well liked by most. The ddds are in you favor, you will probably love it.

However, I would strongly advise you to find one to at least play with IRL before buying. Maybe at Target, BRU, or a local baby boutique.

arly1983

Thanks for the reply! Is there something about it that you don't like?

Yeah, but I am one of the rare ones and it is a problem with my kid more than the seat.

In general, I don't like the racheting adjuster (it is just like the Regent so if you are fine with that then you will not care). Also I don't like the shallow seating depth of the seat.

But as far as why we don't like it now, my kid is 18 months old and too wide for it.

As for me recommending you see it in person first, I am leaning towards recommending that to all people no matter what seat they are interested in. At the very least, to buy from a retailer with hassle free return policy. The same quirks that are tolerable or even liked by most people, can be unbearable to others. A carseat is a long term investment and you don't want to be miserable.

arly1983

Ugh, I hate adjusting the Regent. :(

What about the BV?

BV has same adjuster.

The Decathlon is supposed to have an adjuster like the Roundabout but it is IMO, worse than the BV/MA. I have owned two, one preadvisary and one postadvisary (they said they fixed it) and the newer one is fine with no kid in it. Adjusts like a dream. At first it was ok with the kid in it and then in a couple of weeks, it was impossible. Some people swear theirs is ok. Jools thinks it is a crap shot as to if you get a bad one or a good one.

I hate to be such a downer. :(

mamaofthree

I imagine any seat is kind of a pain to adjust RF, just because of where the adjuster strap is and the angle you pull it at. Supposedly the EFTA knobs are hard to access in RF mode, but I personally never had a prob with my reg Triumph. Maybe they are different? I also had it installed on captain chairs that were reclined a bit, which prob gave me more room to work with, plus I have small hands. I have a MA, and a reg Triumph, and I much prefer the harness adjuster knobs of the Triumph. The MA adjuster drives me crazy, though I do love every other feature of the seat. I know others hate the way the Triumph operates though, so it really is personal preference. If I had to do it over again, I think I would have chosen the EFTA over the MA, the adjuster strap bugs me that much. But obviously not enough to go through the trouble of trying to sell it and replace it with the EFTA. I would try them both out in person if you can and see which you like better. I believe there is a higher end model of the EFTA that has similar LATCH hooks to the MA, which are awesome!!!!!!!

Kimberly

Calideedle

I love the Marathon, it is my favorite! I have never had a problem adjusting the strap. My very big son fit great it in and my petite daughter fits great too! Everyone I have met who has it loves it (A LOT of people!) Until I came here I never heard of anyone having a problem with their kids being too big or the adjuster (all were installed and use correct)

I would definatly try it!

Kabes

**Loved my MA** It got replaced with a Radian (due to an accident) and I am questioning my judgement! The Radian is a beast to install RF.

Synchro246

Oooo nice! Is it easy to adjust?

I don't have one. I've heard it isn't AS nice as the buttery smooth RA adjuster. I :love: the RA adjuster.
Right now I'm considering repl a seat for no apparent reason and I'm split between the MA and the DC. I like the idea of the 3 position crotch strap because I have boys and that extra .75'' could make a big difference to them in a couple of years :whistle:
IDK though. Like I said, I'm split. The DC only has a few covers available (two of which match my seats) but the MA has a gabillion covers, which is cool.

I'm such a help.

twokidstwodogs

I have MAs and like them well enough. I bought mine in early 2005, when there were fewer HWH options on the market. The crotch depth thing was becoming a problem right around when my daughter outgrew it. I also find the HUGS really annoying. I greatly prefer my Roundabouts, particularly for travel, but both my daughters are very tall, and they do not last us long.

If you really think your daughter will be short, you might be able to get away with a Roundabout until your older daughter outgrows the Regent. That's a gamble, of course, but it might be worth taking, particularly since there may be even better options on the market by then.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC