Any ideas about VBAC after 2 C-sections

arly1983

I have a 25 month old born via emergency c-section after a 12 hour induced labor. I have a 6 month old born via scheduled c-section. We both want a third child (at least). If I have to have another c-section, I am not sure I can do it. I also do not trust my gyno anymore and I have been seeing him for 8 years. He said I had to have a repeat section but I found out that was not true. So I have found a Birthing Clinic in Savannah across from the hosipital. They will take care of us the whole nine months and then I will labor and deliver there. They do water birth, I can get out of the bed, or drink. I just think another c-section would not be a good idea. I know I might still have to have one anyway but..... Its not so much the pain. It is the lingering side affects. I still have not fully healed. It was 3 months before I could pick up Jackson. Anyway, does anyone have information or stories that they would like to share?

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Not wanting to highjack your thread, I was going to post the same thing! I also had a C-section but also wanted to know which birth was better for those who have done both? C-section, planned C-section or VBAC?

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
lol..i am with both of you. i was very upset about my c section and have always felt as though i couldve done it on my own. i am very interested in the responses....

arly1983

yeah, I would not recommend a planned c-section now. I couldn't take care of Jackson at all for about 3 months. I could just barely take care of the new baby. It took me longer to heal the second time and I followed the Dr's instructions carefully. Doc told me I had to have a repeat and I found out later I could have drove to Savannah or Valdosta. Their hospitals have the equipment and qualified personel that is needed if something goes wrong. I have also discovered that rupture and bleeding during vbac is much much lower than I was led to believe. I also now know that induced labor almost always leads to a c-section. Anyway, when I think about all this I always get upset and frustrated because I feel like everyone played off my fears in both my births so that the doc and hospital staff would not have to put in any more effort than possible.

Splash

AJ had a c/s with Charlie and regrets it. However, it was our only legal option. She was too far overdue for the midwife to continue caring for her, and no OB would take her on, and no hospital would induce her. It's probably a good thing she did, as he was nearly twelve pounds and HUGE and they had trouble getting him out even in a c/s. Anyhoo....

I know three people who have done VBACs, and none of them regret it at all. I have another friend who tried a VBAC, DID rupture, had an emergency (TRUE emergency) C with hysterectomy, and STILL doesn't regret it and feels like she made the best choice and advises everyone to do it if they are comfortable with it. I think that speaks volumes, since she DID have the complication everyone fears, but still feels like she made the right choice. It was also the ONLY rupture that had ever happened in her hospital.

AJ will have a VBAC, and likely at home, since it's illegal to have a birthing center VBAC in FL. The OB that delivered Charlie told her to have a VBAC, that there was no reason she shouldn't.

If you break your leg, you don't stop walking or running, right? If you get stitches, you don't avoid using that area forever for fear it will open up again. If you tear a muscle, you let it heal, and then resume normal use, right? Well, giving birth IS normal use for a uterus. It was damaged, it healed, now time to start using it again. I personally would not trust an OB who performed a C and then told me never to have another vaginal birth. Does that doctor not trust his/her own handiwork?

Uterine rupture is extremely rare. The uterus was designed to give birth, and it normally does it quite effectively. Your best chance of having a VBAC though would be with a midwife. An OB is going to likely require drugs and the stranded beetle position.

Not to use her as an example, but she is SUCH a good one... Michelle Duggar had a c/s with her first set of twins (kids 2 and 3). She then had vaginal births (even at home, including another set of twins) until kid number 15, which was a c/s. Kid 16 was vaginal, again. Seriously, is a uterus THAT used can still do it, well....

(I only know this because I was so impressed when I heard it, and use it as an example that VBACs can and do happen safely. I do not recommend having another dozen children though, unless you really want to).

arly1983

I know what you mean, my husband is like, that lady with the 15 kids, didn't she have two sections and then had a vbac. If she can do, surely we can try..... Thanks for telling about the lady who had the rupture, if she thinks it was worth it, it definatly was. Yeah, the person I talked to at the birthing center in Savannah is a midwife and I loved her. I don't think we want a dozen more, just two.

broken4u05

I know that it used to be a no no. Like if you have one with a C/S than they all have to be but now i think they dont like having one vaginaly if you have not fully healed. But other than that they would rather you have a vaginal birth. I would say wait just alittle longer (like only a few months not even a year) than try again and you should be able to with no problems. O it also has to do with each person's body and how they heal. Good luck.. I hope you do have another little one and not have a C/S

Last edited:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Well my labour was 56hrs in the hospital. I was induced but my water did break on it's own but my body never went into labour. I ended up on pitocin, and 15hrs after my water broke got the epidural. 20hrs after my water broke I started pushing. I pushed for hours ending 4.5hrs later in a c-section. I am hesitant to try a VBAC just because of my labour. I didn't have a big baby, he didn't have a big head he just didn't fit. IF we have another one they would be 3.5yrs apart, so it wouldn't be like having two babies at home to care for. If they were closer then I think I would really want to try, but I am not sure if I would want to go through all that again :confused:

On the other hand I don't feel I missed out on anything having a c-section, I just wanted to know from people who have had both which is better c-section, planned c-section or a VBAC? I know everyone will have a different opinion on this, we should have had a poll!

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
my situation was htat i had been laboring for about 36 hours, only about 9 in the hospital and i was fully dialated but still at a -2 station. i had an epidural pretty much as soon as i got to the hospital, but then they turned my epidural down (without notifying me) and i went from no pain to 100% dying, so i was scareaming, doc heard me screaming over hte phone and sent me to the OR, didnt even check me. :(

LuvBug

I think if you think you can do it, then a VBAC is the way to go! I know very little about it, but remember some.

I know mothering.com use to have a forum dedicated to VBACs but I dont know if they still do? there are lots of moms on there that did it, last time I visited.

Yoshi

I had an emergency c-section with my first (18 yrs ago) and I planned a scheduled c-section for my second one (born 2003) I was not willing to risk the rupture, as well as the issue with me was my labor stalled out and I never progressed past 8 cm dilated- even w/out meds. Induction also didn't work. Sooooo, I didn't want another 20 hr labor with another probable c-section- so I just scheduled it. She was transverse breech anyway and never dropped. My water broke the morning of the scheduled c-section anyway!:p For me, personally, it was not about ME or MY experience. It was about baby's risk and nothing more. I never thought about it like it was my wedding day or something- and wanting it o be "just so". I just wanted a healthy baby- and a VBAC was not in my comfort zone.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I had an emergency c-section with my first (18 yrs ago) and I planned a scheduled c-section for my second one (born 2003) I was not willing to risk the rupture, as well as the issue with me was my labor stalled out and I never progressed past 8 cm dilated- even w/out meds. Induction also didn't work. Sooooo, I didn't want another 20 hr labor with another probable c-section- so I just scheduled it. She was transverse breech anyway and never dropped. My water broke the morning of the scheduled c-section anyway!:p For me, personally, it was not about ME or MY experience. It was about baby's risk and nothing more. I never thought about it like it was my wedding day or something- and wanting it o be "just so". I just wanted a healthy baby- and a VBAC was not in my comfort zone.

So was your planned C-section a better experience then you emergency c-section? Do you remember?

I just know I was exhausted which I think made it a harder recovery. My body had a long intense labour, pushed and then a c-section so I had to recover from all that as well. I would think feeling well rested would help make the 2nd c-setcion & recovery a better experience!?

I wouldn't say my c-section was terrible, it was the labour that was terrible, and I would not be worried over doing a C again.

Yoshi

Yes, it was BETTER in that there was no 40 hrs w/out sleep, no exhaustion from pushing and pain, and definitely less fear the second time around. I felt safe and comfortable. BF started smoothly, and even though the recovery seemed longer (I also had a tubal ) my son was 14, so I wasn't trying to take care of other little ones ya know? So, planned was kind of different, and better overall.

smurf

I also do not trust my gyno anymore and I have been seeing him for 8 years.

First I would find a health care professional you can trust and discuss it with her/him. Some md's are very willing to try VBACs, others not. I don't know about midwives, it is a bit of a "high risk" situation.

A new study just came out in the Canadian Medical Journal that found a higher rate of complications for baby and mother with a planned c-section than with planned vaginal birth. However the issue is a bit more complicated with VBAC's... but they're feasible, definitely. Both my SIL had them and certainly don't regret it. However you'll have to consider that your labor *might* end again in a C/S.

Good luck!

Morganthe

Arly, Do you know if your first c-sections were Classic or 'bikini' cuts? You can't tell from your skin scars, it's what they did on the uterus itself that matters for a VBAC. You'll have to check your operation records.

My drs (yeah, I had a perinatalist + the head of the OB Ward present & working together :D) made the original incision on the outer skin just above the pubic area in a Bikini cut, but then had to cut my uterus from South to North to get dd out over the fibroids. I still think it's funny that one of them told me at the time If I had another child, I'd have to have another c-section because their incision was so large.
All I could think is, just get us through this birth before planning another one :p

I was up on my feet and moving around 18 hours after her birth even though they knocked me out with ketamine or something like that to get everything back inside. I had to -- at that time, she had gone into NICU with pneumonia and was on a respirator to breathe. But it was very odd. I woke up completely refreshed and raring to go. It lasted too. I don't think I slept more than 3 hours a night after that until she was around 8 months old or so. It was if her birth & what we had gone through had given me some sort of super power. I did not need to experience hours of labour to feel empowered as a mother.

TBH, I had no chance of a 'dream' delivery and I really did not expect one from the first when the perinatalist started measuring the fibroids that were surrounding dd. He kept telling me to hope for a VB, but I had eyes & common sense. It wasn't going to happen. I just wanted a healthy baby and I really did not have the luxury of making 'birth plans' or how dh & I would enjoy going through the entire birth process from beginning to end. I still feel very proud of going through so much with my dd even though it was definitely not textbook or planned.

I honestly believe that if dd & I have remained together through a rough pregnancy, 5 weeks prematurity, c-section, not breathing, NICU & Pneumonia, Trials & Errors of Breast feeding with everything against us, High needs & sensitivity, GERD, Unexplained fevers during her first 12 months -- when she was a completely helpless baby with a stubborn streak, there's not much that can break our spirits in this world. Talk about feeling womanly & strong. We went through hell and back. I know it made us closer than if anything had come normal or easy. :D

But If I did have another child (not likely though), I wouldn't press my luck to try a vaginal birth. There's the issue of adhesions in multiple c-sections to cut through and that repair slower. In fact, Arly, that's probably something you really need to discuss with an experienced OB --- the fact that you still have lingering soreness from your c-section even now. A VBAC might put more pressure on areas that are still not fully healed. :(

arly1983

I am scared to death of another c-section. I was in intense labor for 12 hours (back labor)(induced with pitocin and most of it medication free) I would gladly go through a week of that not to have another c-section. Both of my babys had respiratory(sp) problems due to the c-section (thats what the ped said). The fluid in their lunges didn't get squeezed out. My incision was low transverse both times. I don't know. We had originally planed on having at least three kids. My husband is bringing up is this it for us and I have nearly have an anxiety attack. I want more children but....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC