Any advice for my car seat tech course

dragonfly8

that I'm going to next week?
Any things that I absolutely must know prior to attending? I've learned so much from this site already.......but of course, there are so many things that I have yet to learn.

What should I take? They didnt' really say. The obvious, paper, pen.....

I'm so excited!!!

ADS

canadiangie

Comfy clothing, comfy shoes, some rain gear or warm coat. Pens, paper, etc. If you have seats in your vehicle they may get used as demo seats during the hand's on portion, so a tidy vehicle if it matters to you.

And you might have to take some deep breathes depending on how your course material is presented and how up to date your instructor is. Mine was pretty good, but I still had moments where I wanted to disagree or add something. :eek: I had to bite my tongue a few times, IYKWIM.

You may find that your classmates are not as 'into it' as you are. Some may even be there because they have been voluntold to do so. It's hard when people are bored and disinterested, watching the clock, etc.

Other than that I can't think of much to add. Just have fun and enjoy. Take lots of notes and be sure to post here with nightly updates on how it's going. :)

Good luck!

cdncasper

I have been a tech for longer than she has (and she started teaching right after becoming a tech). I actually do carseat clinics with MPI and am always the tech with the most experience there.
You will probably have to bite your tongue alot. They seem to do laws only and not so much best practice. It is only recently that MPI recommended 22lbs AND walking AND 1 yr for FF. Before they didn't say the 1 yr part.

dragonfly8

Comfy clothing, comfy shoes, some rain gear or warm coat. Pens, paper, etc. If you have seats in your vehicle they may get used as demo seats during the hand's on portion, so a tidy vehicle if it matters to you.

And you might have to take some deep breathes depending on how your course material is presented and how up to date your instructor is. Mine was pretty good, but I still had moments where I wanted to disagree or add something. :eek: I had to bite my tongue a few times, IYKWIM.

You may find that your classmates are not as 'into it' as you are. Some may even be there because they have been voluntold to do so. It's hard when people are bored and disinterested, watching the clock, etc.

Other than that I can't think of much to add. Just have fun and enjoy. Take lots of notes and be sure to post here with nightly updates on how it's going. :)

Good luck!

I wish I was taking my vehicle.......but I'm not. I'm dropping the boys off at Grandma's house and getting a ride with Grandpa as he work nearby where the course is being held. I drive a Suburban, so downtown parkade parking for a vehicle that size might be hard to find........and I"m not great at squeezing into tight spots........again, the truck is just too large!

But I will proudly let them know that I am ERF in a TF and harnassing in a radian!

dragonfly8

I have been a tech for longer than she has (and she started teaching right after becoming a tech). I actually do carseat clinics with MPI and am always the tech with the most experience there.

Ahhhh, maybe I"ll have the honor of doing a carseat clinic with you one day soon!

So tell me, does MPI contact you to do the clinics? What about ones held at fire stations?

cdncasper

Fire fighters do the ones at the firehall (and the one near me sucks, I have to keep correcting their mistakes in friends vehicles).
Jeanie emails when clinics are being held and than you can volunteer. I also help with public presentations and private checks. Drop in clinics are good but don't happen often enough (my opinion)

featherhead

I've been meaning to ask the same questions. And I'm getting quite excited too! I have yet to secure my rides to Winnipeg...

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
Yay:) Can't wait to meet you in person:) I won't be there tomorrow or Friday, but will be for the clinic on Saturday.

Yes, you too! I'm rather easy to pick out, considering I'm only 5 feet tall and usually the shortest one in the room. :whistle:

ladybug_mom

My only piece of advice would be to make sure your finger nails are clipped nice and trim! Ask Amy about my war wound from our clinic 2 weeks ago! I NEVER make it out of a clinic without some kind of injury! LOL

skaterbabs

No low cut tops or pants. If you aren't sure, bend over in front of the mirror. If you don't flash yourself ;) it's all good. lol Flat, comfortable shoes are a good idea too.

Leave your jewelry at home and trim your nails. More than one tech has lost stones from rings and torn apart nails.

I'd suggest khakis & nice tops instead of jeans, just because they're comfy but slightly less casual, and some places have rules about jeans.

Scout out your location before hand. No one wants to get lost on their way to class. :whistle:

Sunscreen, lip balm, hand sanitizer & lotion, bottle for water, and extra hair ties are a good idea. Find out what you need to do for lunch before class.

Have fun! :thumbsup:

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
I was wishing I had worn yoga pants for the clinic today instead of jeans. ;)

Nice to meet you Kaitlyn and Amy! :)

Yes definitely, comfy clothes! It was nice to meet you too. I had so much fun at ours. Not going to lie though, I wouldn't have felt deprived if I had gone my whole life without ever experiencing installing a locking clip :whistle:

amyd

Yes definitely, comfy clothes! It was nice to meet you too. I had so much fun at ours. Not going to lie though, I wouldn't have felt deprived if I had gone my whole life without ever experiencing installing a locking clip :whistle:

LOL:D

dragonfly8

Where are you doing your clinic?

Oops, I didn't even see this!
It's being held in the offices in Citiplace mall.........

I'm all set!

Got my notebook, pen, water bottle, a couple of snacks (due to food allergies, can't have what they're serving but they've ordered me my own lunch)......

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC