AND- CRS in front passenger seat?

bairnns

Please note that I'm a longtime trained advocate who was a tech from 1997-2012. Now that I'm back to doing childcare, I don't have the time for the CEUs and checkups/installation tests required to remain a tech, but I keep informed.

If I do not get a new van today, there could be the rare occasion when I need to transport 6 kids in my 7-passenger minivan. One mile each way to a local preschool.

So I may need to put a ff harnessed seat in the front passenger seat if that ever happens. Of course tightly installed and with the vehicle seat pushed back as far as possible (with two rows of rf seats behind it, I may not be able to push it all the way- but the seats behind have the Graco ClickTight and Britax advocate, both of which can be more upright than 45 degrees. My infant is 7 months and has the head control for a more upright angle.)

Of course there is no tether anchor for the front seat. I have the Britax Frontier 90 and a Sunshine Kids Radian 65 (no, it's not expired yet- purchased in 2011). When the Radian was first released it was unusual in that it passed the 28-inch head excursion limit even without the tether, probably because the center of gravity is lower than other seats.

Does anyone know if this continued to be the case, at least through 2011? I'm thinking the Frontier is too heavy overall to even consider it. I know the manual says the tether is required too- but most manuals do nowadays, and so questions about atypical situations usually have to be asked directly of the mfr. Unless that's already been done! I have the NHTSA car seat instruction disc (somewhere around here...) to check too (in the first few years that was issued, I was one of the primary writers and information gatherers- so please again be assured I know best practice well.)

I know I can chase this stuff down by calling the mfr, but will have to argue my way past the first level- or more- of customer service reps. So I'm trying here first!

Thank you!

Lori

ADS

Dillipop

The frontier only requires a tether after 65 pounds. Before that it is highly recommended but not required.

If I had to choose between those seats, I'd choose the radian. It's slim profile will allow a child to sit a little further from the airbag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would actually choose the frontier 90. With the SafeCell it performs under the head excursion limit for tethered untethered. I have enough Radian concerns I'm not comfortable with their use untethered at this point for my kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC