Alternative to Radian: Graco CarGo

dimsumdaddy

I managed to get 3 across in my Subaru Impreza wagon (!!!) with the help of the Sunshine Kids Radian 65. But I think there is an overlooked option: the Grace Cargo.

Originally, I had just 1 radian, and 1 Graco CarGo. I then bought a 2nd Radian and I found that with one radian in the middle, both the 2nd radian and the cargo fit outboard about the same!

It turns out that the hip width means nothing, so the Radian's narrow hip width wasn't useful. The limiting factor are the side bolsters, of which the radians actually stick out a fair amount... about the same as the cargo. In addition, because the cargo is a different design, it could overlap a little with the side bolsters of the radian.

Anyways, I thought I'd let people know.

BTW, I've seen some complaints in reviews about the cargo:

"adjustable straps only from back" - I did not find this to be the case. It's EASIER to adjust from the back, but I could pull the front center strap and the belts would tighten. So I don't know what they are talking about.

"belt guide slips" - I don't know about this one because we've only used the included 5 pt harness.

Good things about the cargo: not too big, lighter weight, < $100.
Not so good: needs more back padding, wierd thick pillow under the childs buttocks which seems too lumpy (but haven't got complaints so far)

ADS

TerisBoys

I managed to get 3 across in my Subaru Impreza wagon (!!!) with the help of the Sunshine Kids Radian 65. But I think there is an overlooked option: the Grace Cargo.

Originally, I had just 1 radian, and 1 Graco CarGo. I then bought a 2nd Radian and I found that with one radian in the middle, both the 2nd radian and the cargo fit outboard about the same!

It turns out that the hip width means nothing, so the Radian's narrow hip width wasn't useful. The limiting factor are the side bolsters, of which the radians actually stick out a fair amount... about the same as the cargo. In addition, because the cargo is a different design, it could overlap a little with the side bolsters of the radian.

Anyways, I thought I'd let people know.

BTW, I've seen some complaints in reviews about the cargo:

"adjustable straps only from back" - I did not find this to be the case. It's EASIER to adjust from the back, but I could pull the front center strap and the belts would tighten. So I don't know what they are talking about.

"belt guide slips" - I don't know about this one because we've only used the included 5 pt harness.

Good things about the cargo: not too big, lighter weight, < $100.
Not so good: needs more back padding, wierd thick pillow under the childs buttocks which seems too lumpy (but haven't got complaints so far)

Some models of the Cargo ONLY adjust from the back - you've found one with a front adjustor - awesome!

When used as a bpb the guides are simply attached to fabric - the force of the seatbelt can cause them to shift out of position.

And the last semi-negative is it's 40# weight limit. But otherwise it IS a nice, narrow harnessed seat that works well 3-across.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
because the cargo is a different design, it could overlap a little with the side bolsters of the radian.

That would be called puzzling seats. :) Yep, it generally works really well to have at least one different seat so that you can 'puzzle' them together when working with 3 across situations.

christineka

The Treasured Cargo is the model that adjusts in the back. Mine expires in December, but we haven't used it as a harnessed seat for years. It does not make a good booster, but we've used it as a spare. (Figured it was better than nothing because the kids are above the law.)

I think for what you get $80 is a bit much. It is only a 40 pounds seat. I believe the Chase is also a fairly thin seat, but only costs $60.

Christine

Splash

If I was buying a new seat right now, I would really look into the CarGo even though Charlie is already 34 pounds. I'm still thinking about it... but I have too many car seats as is. But it really is a great seat. High top slots, relatively easy to install, low profile and thin with decent padding and EPS foam wings. I wouldn't use it as a booster, but it's not very expensive just for a 5point.

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
We were able to do three across in my Vibe with a Cargo as one of them (a Marathon and a Chase were the other two). DD has been in a Cargo in my IL's car for 2 years now and we are pretty happy with it, but she is starting to creep up on 40lbs. We've been pretty happy with it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC