Accident Questions

Jenny

Hi,

I was just reading the post about the person who had an accident on vacation, and as I was thinking about the extent of her damage, I started to compare it to the damage my car recently had...and I realized I never even thought about replacing my car seats because the car was parked at the time.

I assumed that because no one was in the car, the seats are okay. Please tell me this is true?

some background: an A4 backed into xc90 in a parking lot scraping up the driver's side far back panel (some dents and paint scratched off) and dented up the bumper. Both that back panel and the bumper were replaced -- the bumper b/c it was plastic so hard to fix and I wanted a brand new one anway). The frame of the vehicle was not damaged.

I don't know speed, because I wasn't there at the time but it had to be fairly slow as she didn't have a lot of room to manuever in and my car wasn;t moved at all from its spot.

I had 2 RN 80s latched in outboard positions. Am I ok?
Jenny

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Sunshine Kids says to replace after any collision. If there was enough damage that you needed things replaced and fixed, then it was a collision enough, IMO. Her insurance should pay for two new seats, as she was at fault.

Wendy

Jenny

yikes, I have been driving around with these seats since early January. although DD has been moved to the vivo and her RN to a rarely used car.

I never even gave it a second thought -- I will look for the paperwork and see if they will still process it. Do you think they will??? I wonder if there is a statute of limitations --

Jenny

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I have no idea. It may vary by insurance company, which office, and maybe even the person who answers the phone. In the XTSL manual online, the wordage saying to not use after a collision is on page seven. I'd photocopy that or scan it, and send that in to the insurance people. If you need more, maybe email SKJP and ask for a letter from them saying the seats need to be replaced.

Wendy

luckyclov

Last summer, we were in a very minor incident. And by minor, I mean another car basically rolled into my rear at approx. 3 MPH at a stop sign. The damage to my vehicle was under $200 (it just some "scuffing" from where the bolts on her front license plate hit the paint on my bumper). Anyways, we had no issue having our carseats replaced (Britax Regent and SK Monterey).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC