Vent A Smorgosbord of Bad Info Today!!!

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Trudy, when TRU employees here were initially trained, they were trained by SJA here but they have not for several years now. When I was in the local store, a couple years ago, making the pitch to have their staff trained and talking to the manager she mentioned that they stopped sending people to us because mainly of 2 things: 1) they have used the manual given and developed its own in-house manual and training program for employees and 2) they didn't find the returns-on-investment great especially when these trained employees would leave TBU.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Trudy, when TRU employees here were initially trained, they were trained by SJA here but they have not for several years now. When I was in the local store, a couple years ago, making the pitch to have their staff trained and talking to the manager she mentioned that they stopped sending people to us because mainly of 2 things: 1) they have used the manual given and developed its own in-house manual and training program for employees and 2) they didn't find the returns-on-investment great especially when these trained employees would leave TBU.

See this is the problem - they do have an "in house manual and training program" - but they don't use it, at least not at our store and if other stores have the same training issues our store does, then most of them probably don't use it. Not to mention it's dated 2007 IIRC, so horribly out of date.

Our store put 2 people through the SJA course 1.5 yrs ago. All of the stores in AB put people through the course at the same time with Red Deer employees actually being sent up to Edmonton. But last I heard from my store director - who is top of the pole at our store, is they've "revised the in-house training and are just sticking with that" from now on.

To be honest, I've been told things that aren't fully true in the past because it's what they think I want to hear. (Sometimes about the dumbest things - if you want to leave a stroller with a broken canopy of display, just say so - don't tell me you're going to reduce it and sell it cheap and then stick it back up - you're the manager and can do whatever you want as far as I'm concerned - my job is just to tell you the issue so you can make a decision. :rolleyes: )

So anyways, I don't fully trust what I'm told when it comes to something like the training. After all of their resistance to me giving any training, I ended up signing off the techs at the end of the course they took because the instructor couldn't be there for the clinic. And I'll admit I found something satisfying about that. :whistle:

And they're still not using the in-house training in our store. I'd love to see the new materials if there truly are new materials. Perhaps what I actually need to do is approach the person who makes training manuals about assisting in the creation and maintenance of a proper in-house training program. Not that I know who is in charge of that, but I might be able to find out...

dogmelissa

They are so annoying, I remember needing a convertable seat and the sale guy was fallowing me around kept telling me all the seats harnessed to 100lbs uh no they dont but he kept at it so I had to complain to get him to go away and so some one els came over, this one was much nicer and she had alot of questions for me on EFR.

It really sucks when peopl give out suck bad info and scary for those who dont know that they are wrong.

Maybe we should print a copy of icnee's signature picture and Technician status as "proof" that legs touching the seat back are NOT dangerous?

I'm sorry you had such a rough day. :( I probably would have lost it on both people and thrown something at them - but my ability to deal with stupid people is hugely diminished lately.

Melissa

Lea_Ontario

And they're still not using the in-house training in our store. I'd love to see the new materials if there truly are new materials. Perhaps what I actually need to do is approach the person who makes training manuals about assisting in the creation and maintenance of a proper in-house training program. Not that I know who is in charge of that, but I might be able to find out...

SOrry to revive such an old thread, but I have to chime in.

They don't use the "in-house" material at our store either - in fact, I took the training manual home to read when I was hired 3 years ago. It's still here, they have yet to realize it's missing. They haven't touched on ANY car-seat information with any newer staff either.

If they ever let you do any kind of trainings for the staff, tell me HOW you got them to let you so I can follow your footsteps. My team leaders and director just think I'm a "car seat Nazi" and am totally off my rocker.

nutritionistmom

CPST Instructor
SEATS for Kids is training several employees from the Kingston/Belleville BRUs in September. They approached us, I'm not going to argue, they really need it!

snowbird25ca

SOrry to revive such an old thread, but I have to chime in.

They don't use the "in-house" material at our store either - in fact, I took the training manual home to read when I was hired 3 years ago. It's still here, they have yet to realize it's missing. They haven't touched on ANY car-seat information with any newer staff either.

If they ever let you do any kind of trainings for the staff, tell me HOW you got them to let you so I can follow your footsteps. My team leaders and director just think I'm a "car seat Nazi" and am totally off my rocker.

I do have the respect of my management and co-workers regarding my competency and knowledge level. They will refuse an unnecessary return if I am able to tell them a carseat is definitely compatible with the given vehicle. I do do informal training of new staff members when they're on the floor for the first while. The difficulty is that we have a high staff turnover rate right now and I'm only in 2 evenings a week.

I think the store director and baby managers don't think I'm off my rocker because they see the increased sales that come in to our store as a result of me being there.

Honestly, if they ever did let me do some trainings, it would probably be because I'm a SJA instructor. So not really all that useful in terms of making it easier for you unfortunately.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC